Altered States on Consciousness

Insane: Afflicted with or characteristic of mental derangement.

Nope, looks good.
Sorry, nope. Not in a professional context. Lori will not find a single professional calling her insane. They don't even use the term anymore. You're wrong. The only context where a mental health professional might weigh in on someone's insanity is in court. And let me tell you there is not a single sign she would qualify for the insanity defense. Insanity requires a person to not be functioning in society. It indicated a global problem with reality, not being able to function in society. It was a floppy term and hence it was dropped. You are not even using it the way professionals would have used it in the past. You can pluck definitions out of regular dictionaries and pluck out portions of common usage that fit your use. However this has little to do with claims about what professionals would think about lori.

And, you are that professional?
The question should be 'And are you such a professional?' since I referred to no specific professional. And yes, I would qualify.

Ah, the "Argument from Authority" fallacy. Easily spotted.
Gee, Q. You raised the issue of professionals in reference to lori's alleged insanity. You were making a claim about what these professionals would confirm about lori. That she is insane. That these hypothetical professionals would back up your 'diagnosis'. I doubt that claim, in the extreme, as a professional in the field. I am sorry if I do not take your word for your claim. I don't think you understand how the Appeal to Authority Fallacy can be applied in an argument. You can't make the appeal first and then call it on the other person when they refer to yours.

Do you really believe professional mental health workers - psychiatrists, psychologists, etc. - would consider lori insane?

Where did you get this strange idea?

Here are some quotes from online dictionaries of psychology....

Insanity

A legal term representing the inability to know right from wrong or the inability to understand the consequences of one's actions.

Here's a another to show the problems with your use when referring to professionals...

Insanity
Or madness is the behaviour whereby a person flouts societal norms and may become a danger to himself and others. Greek tragedies and Shakespeare often refer to madness in this sense. Psychologically, it is a general, popular and legal term defining behaviour influenced by mental instability. In modern usage, it is most commonly encountered as an informal, unscientific term, or in the narrow legal context of the insanity defense. In the medical profession the term is now avoided in favour of more specific diagnoses of mental illness such as schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. When discussing mental illness in general terms, "psychopathology" is also considered a preferred descriptor.
Notice that the kinds of disorders that are now used to cover 'insanity' are the psychotic disorders. These are people who have fundamental problems with nearly all aspects of their lives and are medicated by professionals. There is nothing to indicate lori is remotely in these categories.

I realize this is all rather silly. I disagree with you on some issues, sure, but really, you strike me as too intelligent to actually believe if lori walked into a psychiatrist's or psychologist's office she would be diagnosed as insane: iow suffering a major disorder like schizophrenia. I actually don't believe you believe this. I could take you at your word, accept that you actually believe this - disrespect your intelligence essentially - but I find it more likely that you simply refuse to concede anything in this context, for whatever reasons.

I have said before to you that saying lori [someone] suffers from a delusion on a specific issue
would be supported by some professionals. For some reason you need to dismiss her in some global way, in a way the vast majority of professional mental health workers would not. I think you, like a lot of non-professionals, think beliefs are the primary focus of mental health care and diagnosis. This is also incorrect. Take a look at the DSM and you will see the kinds of criteria that go into diagnosing disorders. Take a look at what is called for in relation to major disorders - ones that earlier got the label 'insane'. You will see that your use does not fit professional practice or conception. It might be fine in casual conversation, but once you assert, like you do here, in a science forum that someone is insane and that professionals will verify it, you are talking out of your ass.

It's just an ad hom on your part, and a rather unscientific one once you yourself bring in professionals.

You know better.

I'll leave it here.

Sorry, nope. Not in a professional context.

But, you said you're not a professional, so how can you claim to know what a professional would say?

Lori will not find a single professional calling her insane. They don't even use the term anymore. You're wrong.

I would use that term in general to describe a mental affliction because I am not a professional. You're not a professional either. You don't have a detailed diagnosis. So, you're trying to get technical but can't support it.

I am sorry if I do not take your word for your claim.

There's no need to be sorry. I'm sure you think Lori is perfectly sane.

I don't think you understand how the Appeal to Authority Fallacy can be applied in an argument. You can't make the appeal first and then call it on the other person when they refer to yours.

You may have missed the point, then.

...suffering a major disorder like schizophrenia.

We have used that term as well to describe Lori's condition.

I'll leave it here.

Excellent.

Where's the evidence dr. Q? College degree, successful career, healthy relationships? No, you just don't believe in god or a spiritual realm. That is not evidence of anything but your own agenda and/or affliction.

Where's the evidence dr. Q? College degree, successful career, healthy relationships? No, you just don't believe in god or a spiritual realm. That is not evidence of anything but your own agenda and/or affliction.

You see, Doreen, Lori believes it is me who has an affliction because I don't share her delusions. Perfectly sane, Doreen? You are the professional, are you not?

You see, Doreen, Lori believes it is me who has an affliction because I don't share her delusions. Perfectly sane, Doreen? You are the professional, are you not?
'Affliction' is a pretty vague term. Pain, distress, the like. Right or wrong you still don't have enough for insanity. You find her in the street with pee stains on her pants talking to a hydrant, call a professional.

Do you feel afflicted Q?

(I would like it to be acknowledged that this is a perfectly usable straight line)

'Affliction' is a pretty vague term. Pain, distress, the like. Right or wrong you still don't have enough for insanity. You find her in the street with pee stains on her pants talking to a hydrant, call a professional.

I thought you were the professional? Would a professional understand one does not necessarily have to be found in the street with pee stains to be insane?

Do you feel afflicted Q?

(I would like it to be acknowledged that this is a perfectly usable straight line)

Afflicted with what? One usually does not diagnose themselves.

Back