all for the humane approach to death penalty

Pumpkins,

This is the strongest arguement that you can make, and you are completely right. I agree 100% and with all my heart.

Although, I believe that if the criminal can justify his actions, there should be alternative measures. In your example, yes that would be the correct decision, but for those who commit murder in the name of a greater good, I can find leniancy.

I'm personally undecided about the death penalty. I'm not sure which is the worse punshment... a hopeless life or a quick death.

...but for those who commit murder in the name of a greater good, I can find leniancy...
I think our system does that now. The death penalty does not have to be pushed by the prosecutor, and that gives a bit of leadway. The problem is; Who should decides what is the greater good?

pumpkinsaren'torange, I have another question that I asked myself. If someone kidnapped one of my friends, raped them, beat them to a pulp for 18 hours and left it so the person was on life support would I want the person killed. My answer to that is no. And that happened to a very close friend in the 80's when he escaped from his pimp and got adopted. The pimp tracked him down and kidnapped him. I've also had friends who have been raped, I also do not want an eye for eye there either.

Britain does not have the death penalty but when they did it was hanging. but to me the snap of a child molesters neck would sound good, and as for rapests then castrate the bastards.

Here is the funny thing: The argument against the death penalty always turns on itself inadvertantly, as it has in this thread.

Why? Because keeping someone locked in a cell is more inhumane than killing them! This has been admitted several times in this thread that the criminal would suffer more if the had a lifetime of solitary confinement.

So, the argument against the death penalty is pro-suffering? The argument against the death penalty is pro-vengence?

Here is a story and my claim to fame:
I had a suitemate in college that was loony. We shared a bathroom and I talked to him daily. He seemed alright but he was always goin through these extreme mood swings and was just a loose cannon. Well, he murdered a professor at the school (stabbed her 20 something times). When he was arrested he requested the death penalty. They did not give it to him and he has to spend the rest of his life in prison.

He wanted the death penalty. He murdered an innocent lady. And still he didn't get it.

I think sticking someone in prison the rest of their life is more cruel. I hereby submit that it is more humane to kill them. Why do people think it is absolutely fine to stick someone in a hole for 50 years but god forbid - it is a terrible sin to kill them???

Also, the complaint that the family suffers doesn't hold either. Do you think a wife will suffer if her husband is in prison the rest of their life? Execution at least allows them closure and the ability to move on with their lives.

In summary, I think the death penalty is more practical and merciful. The system does need to be tweaked, including mandatory DNA testing. But idealogically, I cannot follow the arguments against the death penalty that have been laid out here.

To me prison quality-of-life is an issue separate from the death penalty. Prisoners should be protected from the crime (rapes, beatings, etc.) that seems to be the norm. They should be treated with dignity in return for good behavior. As one warden put it, “people are here as punishment, not for punishment.”

I believe this attitude reduces the crime and violence in our society, for most prisoners return to society. Do we want them to return with a vengeance or a respect for the law? If the public does nothing to fix a bad prison then that’s revenge too. If a prisoner chooses death they can throw themselves against the electric fence or whatever.

Here is the funny thing: The argument against the death penalty always turns on itself inadvertantly, as it has in this thread.

I agree. i've even begun wondering what the point in debating anything really is. nothing is going to be solved or changed...i will change no one's feelings regarding this issue, just as no one is going to change my mind. do you know what i mean?

"Here is the funny thing: The argument against the death penalty always turns on itself inadvertantly, as it has in this thread.

Why? Because keeping someone locked in a cell is more inhumane than killing them! This has been admitted several times in this thread that the criminal would suffer more if the had a lifetime of solitary confinement"

That's a poor arguement to make, Fading. What makes you think all of us who are against the death penalty are against it for humane reasons? I for one never said that.

2. Racism. Capital punishment throughout history has invariably been used by the group in power against the groups not in power. Is there a way to stop that? I don't know, but until there is, it is a shameful process
Most of the people in america who are executed are white. Looking at government, I'd say white people are also in power.

this is true. besides, in the federal courts the discrimination argument has found little evidence. systemic bias is extremely & weakly proven.

The problem is seen on a per capita basis. If 25% of society is black and 40% of those on death row are black, you might have a bias problem in justice or law enforcement.

You might. Or it might be totally unrelated. Saying that doesn't consider that there is more poverty among the black population.

Back