Alas The Futility

Free Cycle

Registered Senior Member
To anyone who has found themself frustrated by christianity:

Why does it matter so much? Why can't Atheists, Agnostics, or any other anti-jesus types just let it go and completely remove themselves from this mysticism? Why does anyone here who argues against christians continue, haven't we all recognized that it must come from within or not at all?

Originally posted by Free Cycle
Why can't Atheists, Agnostics, or any other anti-jesus types just let it go and completely remove themselves from this mysticism?
Would that we could. Unfortunately, Xianity is so ingrained in our society that we can't simply remove ourselves from it. Just look at how the majority of people in the United States perceive atheists.

Why does anyone here who argues against christians continue, haven't we all recognized that it must come from within or not at all?
Yes, what we choose to believe must come from within, but our beliefs must be based on our perceptions of what lies outside of ourselves.

Why does it matter so much?

Ok, ask the same question to the religious. You'll probably recieve a similiar answer- The quest for truth.

Why does anyone here who argues against christians continue, haven't we all recognized that it must come from within or not at all?

By the same rational, why dont the christians stop?

Hell,Maybe everyone should stop trying for the truth. Accept what you are told without question, do not strive for answers.

I mean not to criticize the never-ending quest to find a human truth or to disprove christian nonsense, but i find myself thinking about how much i dislike Jesus Christ far too often. By why can't we free thinkers simply search by ourselves, as an enlightened group? We all recognize the closed circuit of christian thought, why not dismiss it as easily as the idea that fairies run the world? I am afraid that we are sludging through the muck Jesus has left.

I can't let it go partly because, for me, it is more than just searching for a truth that is acceptible to me.

I can't ignore the negative influence that Christianty (in particular, along with some other religions) has on our society, individuals and world.

It would be like ignoring corrupt ploiticains and pretending they don't exist.
Or making believe that other social disorders that we have.
Even if I am not directly afflicted with them, I am at least indirectly affected by them.

I have 1 conversion from Christianty, 1 person saved from going BACK to Christianty after seeing the light and 1 person converted away from Hinduism so far under my belt.
Not very impressive numbers, but I am working on it.

I feel it is my duty as a person, no less than it would be my duty to point out other negative (in my opinon) aspects of society and trying to change people's minds for the betterment of society in general.

Hate the belief, not the believer. :)

Originally posted by one_raven
I feel it is my duty as a person, no less than it would be my duty to point out other negative (in my opinon) aspects of society and trying to change people's minds for the betterment of society in general.
Well said. I personally am not trying to "convert" anyone away from Xianity or other religions. I just want to point out facts of reality that are inconsistent with religion so that people are making informed choices about what they believe. When it comes down to it, religion is a matter of faith, and if people are going to have faith, then there's nothing else I can do to change that but offer my own opinion.

By why can't we free thinkers simply search by ourselves, as an enlightened group?
That's what sciforums.com is all about. The religion section comprises a small portion of the site, and is necessary to deal with proselytizers and address the questions of those who are struggling with religious issues.

To anyone who has found themself frustrated by christianity:

Why does it matter so much?
Because thought matters. People fuck it up too much and think they're doing a good job. Fuck that. I'll help straighten you out since I'm able. For me, it makes me better... more clear... my argument and mind more honed to the task of debunking your ridiculous assumptions... I only hope that you'd do me the favor of debunking my ridiclous arguments, so I can be more. So you can be more. I'm sure you'd do the same if you were me.

I'm somewhat of a slave to my task, as I'm a willing slave to my mind as I embrace the ridiculous cycle of part where I'm alive... and then not so much. It matters because it's integral to the whole of my mind... which seeks wisdom (and amusement).

Why can't Atheists, Agnostics, or any other anti-jesus types just let it go and completely remove themselves from this mysticism?
It's subjective, but IMO, half the beauty is the raw contrast of perspectives. One may stand more correct and more real.. but it must be interpreted and skewered by each perspective involved.

I gotta add: I'm affected by it. I have family, friends and aquantences who steep themselves in bullshit and pity those who don't buy in. It's disgusting to me. It compells me to understand the argument... it compelled me to justify my argument. Now the strength of my argument compells me to promote it.

I'd say it requires strength from anyone to shun the opinions of the majority.. especially when the majority is a giant fucking cult, which gives them all some weird bond. A degree of pressure comes with the expectations of a member of a cult. I'd guess we all encounter it somewhat frequently.. well unless we take measures to avoid it.

Maybe in general theists seem infected by something. It's as if an idea.. a basis for a cult has infected their minds like an abstract disease. I'd guess that debating this topic is somewhat of a means to the end of a healthy "mental" immune system.

Last edited:
Indeed. I strongly support anyone who can think freely enough to deny the possibility of jesus rising. And i too have been affected in many ways as close friends or family have become sucked in and entered into a mystical world of unseen spirits. And i hate it. ANd in spending so much time arguing, researching,wondering about, i can't help but think that i am a subject under christiantiy becasue i cannot act freely without it. Like the old saying that the person who makes you angry has pwer over you through emotions.

Indeed. I strongly support anyone who can think freely enough to deny the possibility of jesus rising. And i too have been affected in many ways as close friends or family have become sucked in and entered into a mystical world of unseen spirits. And i hate it. ANd in spending so much time arguing, researching,wondering about, i can't help but think that i am a subject under christiantiy becasue i cannot act freely without it. Like the old saying that the person who makes you angry has pwer over you through emotions.
Seems like you're being pressurised into believing. Stop arguing with whoever, just agree with them (a white lie is worth your freedom of choice) Or be blunt with them and stand up and tell them that you are not ready for Christ yet. Be diplomatic but firm, remember your freedom of choice is paramount to you personally.
I believe there is a possibility of a god and I don't discredit Jesus and his work. However, I also believe there are pieces missing from the jigsaw with regard to the theories of our creation through the Bible and of scientific theories too. Time will tell.

Perhaps i have misrepresented myself. I am under no pressure to bow before the lord, i presume i will remain unshackled for the entirety of my life. I have no doubts that christianity is impossible. It is just that i spend so much time with it i wonder if i am entertaining it as a little child.

christianity is impossible

christianity exists therefore it is not impossible.

Perhaps i have misrepresented myself.

most people do.

I am under no pressure to bow before the lord

not from the lord or his true followers.

It is just that i spend so much time with it i wonder if i am entertaining it as a little child.

good Jesus said "any one who dose not enter the kingdom as one of these (a little child) I say on to you will not enter at all."

I believe only children and the childish can understand the universe as adults spend to much time denying it.

with respect

Re: christianity is impossible

Originally posted by grimreaper
It is just that i spend so much time with it i wonder if i am entertaining it as a little child.

good Jesus said "any one who dose not enter the kingdom as one of these (a little child) I say on to you will not enter at all."

I believe only children and the childish can understand the universe as adults spend to much time denying it.

with respect
That is a very wise teaching.

[BI believe only children and the childish can understand the universe as adults spend to much time denying it.[/B]

You calling me chidlish? That is actually a horrible teaching. It's not "childish" it's emotionally mature. It's just that you have the labels jacked up in a misleading manner. It's almost wisdom as it is written, but the whole thing becomes "childish to whom?". If an adult who understands the universe is considered childish, who is it that considers him as such? Is it god? Jesus? Children? Adults? If it's adults then really the labels are wrong right? I mean, the adults who don't act like children are really the children in that scenario. Then the childish adults are really the adults and the tight-ass adults are emotionally stunted children right?

So instead of some lame proverb, why don't you just say what you mean? Do you know what you mean?

Perhaps i have misrepresented myself. I am under no pressure to bow before the lord, i presume i will remain unshackled for the entirety of my life. I have no doubts that christianity is impossible. It is just that i spend so much time with it i wonder if i am entertaining it as a little child.
I misunderstood you. OK, Christianity is real, it exists. Why is it that you are spending so much time with Christian influences, is it family,friends??
Are you entertaining the idea because you totally reject it, but yet still among the influence??
Is it that you are constantly thinking about Christ and rejecting every thought??

Those who are closed-minded will likely not be able to understand the universe. Not all adults are closed-minded though, as you seem to suggest.

i spend a lot of time perusing this site, along with many other browsers. I havea deep seated aversion to christianity, not because i want to be part of it, not because i want jesus to love me, just because i think it is ridiculous. I meant not to offer a plea for help, im not going to suddenly lose all ground and begin believing in some diety. Only sometimes i wish that i and all of my non-christian fellows could live in a world where we didn't even worry about dealing with the swarm of gnats that is christianity, a time when it would be so ridiculous that it would not be worth arguing or even recognizing. Then christianity would be foolish story that would slowly fade away and never cause a nuisance again...

For only one of many reasons for my aversion, read this under the heading "unfortunate Dracula's guest"

Only sometimes i wish that i and all of my non-christian fellows could live in a world where we didn't even worry about dealing with the swarm of gnats that is christianity, a time when it would be so ridiculous that it would not be worth arguing or even recognizing. Then christianity would be foolish story that would slowly fade away and never cause a nuisance again...
Ah, that sounds nice. Give it about a thousand years.

Back