Age restrictions: Legitimate or discriminatory?

Mrs.Lucysnow

Valued Senior Member
STORRS, Conn. – Even at 13, Colin Carlson believes he's running out of time.
Colin is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut, seeking a bachelor's degree in ecology and evolutionary biology and another in environmental studies. But he's been knocked off course by the university's rejection of his request to take a class that includes summer field work in South Africa.

He and his mother say university officials told them he is too young for the overseas course. So he's filed an age discrimination claim with the university and U.S. Department of Education, which is investigating.

"I'm losing time in my four-year plan for college," he said. "They're upsetting the framework of one of my majors."

Michael Kirk, a spokesman for UConn, would not comment on Colin's case. But he said that generally, safety is the university's first concern when travel is involved.

The university would not let Colin enroll, even after his mother, Jessica Offir, offered to release UConn from liability and accompany her son as a chaperone at her own expense, she and Colin said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100325/ap_on_re_us/us_prodigy_study_abroad

I think they should allow him to go.

If he's old enough to deal with university then he should be old enough to go on an overseas field trip.

Is the university correct in excluding him from access based on his age even though they have him enrolled?

What considerations are there in such a trip that would prompt the university to exclude him from the trip?

Sure he should be able to go, if an adult goes with him and is personally responsible for him. Bad guys in countries where child trafficing is no big deal will probably not be dissuaded by how smart he thinks he is.

Running out of time? At 13? That little fucker should live a little and not worry about schoolwork. No, they shouldn't let a 13 year old study abroad, he's not going to get the same things out of it that an older person would.

The Mother or Son probably hasn't thought about this but one thing they could have offered up is to pay for armed guard service once the Son arrived in the Country.I don't believe 2 South African guards would cost much.The Mother alone isn't protection enough vs Men who mean harm.As it stands now I believe the school is in the right to reject the Son from going.Just my opinion.

Also if something did happen to the kid and even with the school off the hook,the populace would have still blamed the school for being so irresponsible and breaking their own policy.

Last edited:
Well there is a lot of fighting going on in South Africa. I wouldn't want to let young students over there either.

Running out of time? At 13? That little fucker should live a little and not worry about schoolwork. No, they shouldn't let a 13 year old study abroad, he's not going to get the same things out of it that an older person would.

Not necessarily. His mind is young and more easily molded than it will be when he's older.

If he's smart enough, yes, he should go and have an adult go with him.

Why is it mandatory to take a "field trip" in order to pass the course? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Well there is a lot of fighting going on in South Africa. I wouldn't want to let young students over there either.

I bet that the parents will start having lawsuits if he died or got injured, not just fighting, also wild animals, treacherous terrain....... Also if anything happened, the university will have a bad reputation.

That does make sense. A university trying to protect their "image". Something like that would be negative publicity.

But who's fault would it be? The kids for going? The school for letting him go? Or the parents for letting him go?

If he die then the blame will probably land on the school, people then to overlook the fact that the parents are pushing the school to let him go. I think that it is stupid that he have to take a field trip to pass the course, there should be alternatives.

But the thing is, is that he isn't in the class. He can't take the class because of the trip.

Yeah, I agree. I have a strict diet and schedule, because they think about me and my future not what I want. If he wanted to jump off a cliff, I wonder what will his parents do?

Back