Afterlife and Pre-life

Under some conditions, ignorance indeed is bliss!

:eek:

“And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

@wynn --

I wouldn't know except that I know I was much happier as a child than I am as an adult.

I have become much happier as an Adult. I did not have much joy when i was a child. Glad childhood is behind me, never want to go back there.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

@Knowledge --

Simple, because all of my needs were being met and though my parents were strict I got to spend lots of time doing the things that I love(reading, playing soccer, bouldering, and whatnot). That made me happy.

Are there joys that I have as an adult that I didn't have as a child? Yup, but in addition to having to now care for my own needs(as well as helping my roommates care for theirs) my increased knowledge has somewhat put a damper on the carefree attitude of my youth. Basically I now understand just how good I had it as a child, not that I would ever go through it again. Once was enough for me.

Also, this doesn't mean that my childhood was easy(relative to other American children that is, it was Cloud Nine compared to the average childhood in many parts of the world), just that it was happy and safe.

@wynn & Adstar --

That's all well and good, but what does that have to do with the discussion we were having previously, the discussion in which I was using the ignorance induced happiness of my childhood as an example of how ignorance can be bliss.

You still haven't resolved your contention that "true happiness", as you term it, is even achievable let alone in existence, nor that it is "necessary" or desirable in any way.

@Knowledge --

Simple, because all of my needs were being met and though my parents were strict I got to spend lots of time doing the things that I love(reading, playing soccer, bouldering, and whatnot). That made me happy.

Are there joys that I have as an adult that I didn't have as a child? Yup, but in addition to having to now care for my own needs(as well as helping my roommates care for theirs) my increased knowledge has somewhat put a damper on the carefree attitude of my youth. Basically I now understand just how good I had it as a child, not that I would ever go through it again. Once was enough for me.

Also, this doesn't mean that my childhood was easy(relative to other American children that is, it was Cloud Nine compared to the average childhood in many parts of the world), just that it was happy and safe.

What are the specific pieces of knowledge that make you feel like this? The true nature of humans?

Back