Adams Apple

razz

Registered Senior Member
Another confusing aspect of Adam and Eve involves their nakedness. Apparently, when they ate the fruit they suddenly realised that they were naked, and this was shameful.
This seems a little strange, as presumably all other creatures in the Garden were also naked, unless it was populated by Disney cartoon animals. ( "Oh no! We've got no clothes on! How embarassing!", says Adam. "Erm... What are clothes?", says Eve. )
If it was inherently wrong and immoral for these two to walk around naked, then why did God create them that way in the first place?
Why would He want them to do something that He considered to be wrong?
Did He just like watching naked people or something?
Possibly, He wanted them to remain completely innocent and unsullied by such concepts as Right and Wrong.
In that case, Adam could have done anything he felt like, being totally oblivious to the fact that some things were right and some were wrong.
He could have tested the aerodynamic ability of small rodents, tortured bunnies by using them as extra fast slippers, and killed and eaten Eve.
God would have looked on happily as Adam innocently frolicked around enjoyed himself, unaware that he was committing all sorts of indecent, immoral and Wrong acts.

Giving them the Knowledge Of Good And Evil was the only way to prevent this sort of thing happening, so why is the act of eating the fruit considered to be Original Sin?
After all, it stopped them from immorally walking around stark naked, didn't it?
If Original Sin stems from Eve getting Adam to eat the fruit, in doing so she was preventing his wicked nakedness and any further immoral acts he might accidentally commit in his ignorance, wasn't she?
:bugeye:

If you have lately noticed, there is very little logic in bible.
What do you want from a book, that is written and revised by countless people.

Just a myth razz. While many ancient myths are interesting and logical[Gilgamesh, Prometheus, Vedas], most of the bible stuff has been so many times re-edited tht it either has lost it' s start logic and facts, or there have never been such there.

*Originally posted by razz
Another confusing aspect of Adam and Eve involves their nakedness. Apparently, when they ate the fruit they suddenly realised that they were naked, and this was shameful.
This seems a little strange, as presumably all other creatures in the Garden were also naked, unless it was populated by Disney cartoon animals. ( "Oh no! We've got no clothes on! How embarassing!", says Adam. "Erm... What are clothes?", says Eve. )
If it was inherently wrong and immoral for these two to walk around naked, then why did God create them that way in the first place?

Nah.
It wasn't bad for them to be naked.

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
(Genesis 1:31, KJV).

You're simply misunderstanding what Knowledge of Good and Evil means.
They saw that they were naked, which was the Knowledge of Good, they saw that as shameful, which was the Knowledge of Evil.

It wasn't actually shameful, but they merely knew it as such, i.e. they were wrong, which is in fact, evil.

It wasn't actually shameful, but they merely knew it as such, i.e. they were wrong, which is in fact, evil

So Tony1, surely you're not saying that each time we're wrong we are being evil?:eek: Would that mean that when I was wrong about the seafood I had the other week being fresh, was that evil of me? I'm sorry Tony, I dont mean to make fun of you but I do not agree with the bible being the be all and end all of all that is good or bad in the world. We all have inherent concepts of what is good or bad. I dont think it comes from the bible, I think it comes from whats called human nature and from our experiences. I for one know that it is bad to eat bad seafood, and I assure you I did not learn that from the bible:D.... hmmmmm maybe I should stick to just eating fruit... hmmmm maybe not... I might get an apple that tells me to start walking round naked:eek:

Re: Re: Adams Apple

Originally posted by tony1
You're simply misunderstanding what Knowledge of Good and Evil means.
They saw that they were naked, which was the Knowledge of Good, they saw that as shameful, which was the Knowledge of Evil.
So the Knowledge of Good will make you watch naked people while the Knowledge of Evil will make you wear cloths on streets? That's a very refreshing idea from the bible... :eek:

It wasn't actually shameful, but they merely knew it as such, i.e. they were wrong, which is in fact, evil.
Would you admit that you are evil because you are shameful for being naked in public? Or you like to prove it you are not evil by doing a strip show in front of a TV camera?:D

Last edited:
It is interesting that many native tribes of Africa were perfectly happy living in nakedness until Christian missionaries arrived and introduced clothing and the idea that nakedness is somehow wrong.

A clear case of Christianity spreading its evil.

The whole idea of this tree of knowledge is prprostorous.
Think of it. Christian god doensn't want his followers to acquire knowledge, to be smart. He want's stupid people who know of nthing more thn to glorify him. People who don't want to look further the graphical interface. But smone managed to look at a small part of a code, god got furious and punished them. What is he hidding? If we crack the full code, what will we see. god is not so great as he wants us to think, or maybe we ourselves can become gods. From occasional_users to admins of the whole system.

Also, remember that without the knowledge of good and evil how did Eve know it was wrong to eat the fruit? Looks like she was framed, and guess who by? Why should she be blamed for doing something that she couldn't know was wrong?

May we agree tht finding logic in bible is either impossible or you need to be outdated to think you have found it.:)

All has its time and I think tht people must have evolved by this time to understand tht bible legends can not be taken as they are, meaning - they have their background facts, but not all is true. Consider Sodom and Gomor as alien nuke areas(very high radiation levels) not gods revenge.[i do not say the theory about aliens is true, but it has more facts proving its right thn sm Gods punnishment.
Or bible floods as a result of a high volcanic activity.

BTW almost all ancient cultures have their legends about THE floods and jews and inku have their storyes about one man building a boat and surviving it.(maybe noas went to SA[there are facts making it very possible]).

The floods are real, noas may be real, but a punishment of god, pleeez!
Bye!

GOD is who He says He is!

Noaa, and Sodom and Gamora, all where very real! and the Bible is 100% accurate in history and it's truths! Science and historiains just have to do some catching up on the facts of the Bible in history! And they will mostly some day! But there will be you that doubt it!
But the TRUTH will always stand the test of time and hate and scrone of the Holy Word! GOD is Supreme!:D

and the Bible is 100% accurate in history and it's truths! Science and historiains just have to do some catching up on the facts of the Bible in history!

Science is not catching up to the Bible's "facts" because doing so would be the same as travelling across the world to get to your neighbors house. Much easier to just move in the right direction to begin with.

So if both are getting to the neighbors house but one requires just reading a book and one requires hundreds of years of studies....

how exactly is science the easy way again?

Ben

Science and historiains just have to do some catching up

Consider, for instance,

1)
Archaelogists used to have no idea that there was this big city over in Assyria called "Ninevah." They had never seen evidence for such a city, therefore, it must not exist!

Then, some Archaeologist stumbled upon this city in Assyiria one day, and, lo and behold, it was Ninevah!

2)
Ditto for a whole race of people known as the "Hittites". The Bible was wrong because there was no evidence that they ever existed... Until archaelogists rediscovered them!

3)
Similarly, accounts of places, names, and events in Luke and Acts have been later verified. (e.g. the tax in the nativity story. The ruler who issued it was originally thought to have ruled at the wrong time. Later, we found that he actually ruled twice, the second time fit in just right with Luke's account. Similar stories hold for details of the ship journeys he describes in Acts.)

4)
Sunken boats have been found in the Sea of Galilee, confirming that it was indeed a center of sailing/fishing, as seen in the Gospels.

5)
Many Archaelogists claim that camels were not domesticated until around 1000 BC, rendering stories of Abraham with camels as anachronistic, but there is exciting new evidence that camels were domesticated LONG before Abraham (that can be found here: http://www.bga.nl/en/articles/camel.html)

With regards to science,
The earth is called a circle (ie sphere) -- not flat.
It "hangs" on NOTHING!
The water cycle is referenced.
Ocean currents are referenced.
The stars cannot be numbered.
The heavens are "streched" (space is expanding)
etc, etc, etc...

And these are just the big ones that I can remember off the top of my head.

~Caleb

Caleb, an interesting point

Caleb, I can't remind you enough how inappropriate is your dependence on an incomplete data set in an ongoing learning process. For instance, the point about the camels: the domestication of camels has other anthropological and sociological implications than the legitimacy of the Bible. Whoopee: scientists found evidence and made the appropriate adjustments. It's what science does.

But what I find more intriguing is the idea that because a verifiable part of the Bible can be verified (e.g. the existence of a city) that apparently the unverifiable parts of the Bible must also be legitimate. I'd say it's horrible science, but it's not even science.

Furthermore, what, then, when the Bible is wrong? From America B.C., by Dr Barry Fell:
From the Bible we learn that the ships of Tarshish were the largest seagoing vessels known to the Semitic world, and the name was eventually applied to any large ocean-going vessel. On the coasts of Palestine, where the ancient psalmists of Israel could watch the vessels of their Phoenician cousins plying their trade with Lebanon and Egypt, the ships of Tarshish became proverbial as an expression of sea power. On this coast the wind was feared by the sailors in Bronze Age times because it could blow ships out into the Mediterranean, and most of the coastal vessels were unable to withstand the tubulence of open sea. Thus, in their naivete as landlubbers, the Hebrews imagined that the same east wind meant disaster for the shps of the Phoenicians too. (In fact, of course, it would not.) So we find the poet of Psalm 48 expounding the power of Jehovah as such that "Thou breakest the ships of Tarshish with an east wind." Another reference to the ships of Tarshish occurs in the book of Jonah, which describes how the prophet "went down to Joppa where he found a ship going to Tarshish; so he paid the fare thereof and went down into it to go with them unto Tarshish." Here, too, the ship is no sooner dispatched from land thaan it immediately gets into grave difficulties with a tempest. The ships of Tarshish come under threatening notice also in the book of the prophet Isaiah, and by and large it is rather clear that the Tartessian ships were a source of envy or irritation to the Jews. (93-94)
Dr Fell notes a few pages later, that "The first Tartessian inscription discovered in America is engraved on a rock on the seashore of Mount Hope Bay, Bristol, Rhode Island." (98)

It would seem that the east wind did not, in fact, break the ships of Tarshish. Their inscriptions exist on the American continent.

I would recommend that you look into Ogham, an alphabet used for several languages; Phoenicia in the years before Christ, on up to the Irish illuminated texts of the sixth and seventh centuries, and on stones in the Americas, and even some remnants of ships and copper plates from which inscriptions are being translated.

Dealing with similar phenomena, we find this a long-running issue for Christianity. Cotton Mather, in letters to the Royal Society of London, proposed that circumcision among a Connecticut tribe suggested that the native tribes were the "lost tribes of Israel" (Fell, 17). Fell also includes a heirarchy devised by Pope Julius II (ca. 1512) to explain the presence of the indigenous tribes of America. It's real simple, and I can quasi-reproduce it for you here:

* Adam and Eve "sinful Bablylonians" and "Noah the righteous and his spouse".
* From Noah to Shem, Ham, and Japheth, who become, respectively--
- Shem: Arabs, Hebrews, Syrians, given the semitic lands.
- Ham: Libyans, Egyptians, Africans
-Japheth: Peoples of Europe and Asia
* From Sinful Babylonians to: "(Some banished to the wilderness)" and "(Most destroyed in the Flood)".
* From those Banished to the Wilderness to Amerindian tribes.

Can science verify how many of the Babylonians survived the flood? Does that number match what the Bible says?

It is worth mentioning that mitochondrial DNA studies suggest that the indigenous peoples of North America are most likely descended from Japheth, as such, with older haplogroups primarily out of Asia, and a comparitively recent insertion of haplogroup X which resembles many European traits.

Surprisingly, the Latter Day Saints are the only ones really tempted by Doctor Fell's research, which does, incidentally, provide the grounds for Christianity in America in the first couple of centuries after Christ. They bought up some stones from a place called Burrows Cave; the stones contain inscriptions including a holy sigil (IHS) referring to Christ. Unfortunately, most qualified archaeologists and anthropologists dismiss the stones at first glance as anachronistic and likely fraudulent. Nonetheless, the LDS church will not release the stones for study without a certain degree of oversight which, according to some who have asked to see the stones, equates to agreeing to legitimize the stones before even seeing them. I find it interesting that with evidence of European words and Ogham influence among Algonguin and Pima histories, a church would cling so desperately to a questionable collection of artifacts and refuse to subject the stones to scientific verification.
Archaelogists used to have no idea that there was this big city over in Assyria called "Ninevah." They had never seen evidence for such a city, therefore, it must not exist!
An irresponsible conclusion; I think you should document that one. We'll probably find that the scientists making such conclusions had not yet had experienced such a thorough technical revolution in their lifetimes that a matter of means was the missing key. After it occurred to people that most of these cities are under sand, we've started undertaking more accurate methods for locating such cities (e.g. sonar) than standing on a hilltop with shaded eyes saying, "Nope, don't see it." I would love to see the basis of the conclusion that Ninevah doesn't exist, as published.
Ditto for a whole race of people known as the "Hittites". The Bible was wrong because there was no evidence that they ever existed... Until archaelogists rediscovered them!
Please provide the archaeological assertion that the Bible was wrong. Again, this is one that I'd love to see. I honestly think you're reacting to compressed summaries of data, personal conclusions by later authors. All you need is a paper that says, "We didn't find Ninevah" or "We were unable to verify that these artifacts belong to the Hittites", and then someone will write another paper claiming they don't exist. I'm quite sure that the "conclusions" you're responding to are not scientific and do not represent the scientific data body present in our lifetimes. Please, provide these citations; they're so polarized they reek of bad science to begin with.
Similarly, accounts of places, names, and events in Luke and Acts have been later verified. (e.g. the tax in the nativity story. The ruler who issued it was originally thought to have ruled at the wrong time. Later, we found that he actually ruled twice, the second time fit in just right with Luke's account. Similar stories hold for details of the ship journeys he describes in Acts.)
Strangely, this is why people ask for historical evidence of Jesus. We know that tax and other official records exist. Why does Josephus become reputable when attesting to the rumors of Christ, and disreputable when describing the rude state of Christian rabble? You'd think that for such a period, some official record of these events would exist, yet the best evidence I've seen of a historical Jesus is part of a data set that is acceptedby Christians generally because it matches prejudice. The rest of that data set is commonly rejected. Sorry, either Josephus is reputable or not. And even so, he does not provide source evidence of the historical existence of Jesus. So given that there are accounts of places, names, and events that verify certain objectiviities of the Bible, why are the vital ones not there? So a guy named ____, who believed this Christ dude was cool, went to ____ to preach ____. Fine. Verify that all you want. It gets you no closer to legitimizing the supernatural claims of such testimony.

The two primary points I want to stress are:

* I think you might be responding to "myths" of pseudoscience; compressed ideas from other debates where certain presuppositions are on the table. We need to see these sources from which you take these seemingly-irresponsible assertions in order to determine what those presuppositions are, or whether they even exist.

* That certain data in the Bible can be verified means nothing, given what it is. The Bible says ___ went to ____. Well, it would really undermine the Biblical authors if those places never existed. Salman Rushdie set his new story in New York, at least, and a couple of other cities as I recall. Does that make his story true, since New York exists?

And therein lies a great comparison: Midnight's Children versus Haroun and the Sea of Stories. The former has a good deal of truth, but is still fictionalized through the author. Allegory and analogy push the truer aspects of the tale. The latter, however, is a pure fantasy with allegorical bites. India is real, as such. The Sea of Stories cannot be said to be real in the sense that India is real. Does this make Midnight's Children "gospel truth" (e.g. true exactly as written)?

That's how loosely I feel you're asserting your points.

I'm quite sure you're familiar with the nature of sources; what are your sources for these assertions? I can only encourage you to go and read the papers that most "sources" we come up with at Sciforums regard. For instance, I read a CNN story just the other day which might help for comparison. As I go back and look at the story, they've fixed the headline, which read Alien-like microbes discovered under Antarctic ice. ( http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/01/15/antarctic.life/index.html )

Like I said, they've fixed the headline. But that was a great example, so I wish they hadn't. Because I'm quite sure that nowhere in the original paper released to the scientific community did the phrase "alien-like microbes" appear. What most likely appears is a statement that these "microbes do not correllate to any presently-known structure". In other words, they're "new to us".

Did you see a talk show, or something, where someone asserted that Ninevah "didn't exist"? What report were they talking about?

Consider this juxtaposition, please: We have the Bible right in front of us. What's there is for all of us to see. What we do here (at our best moments) is essentially what can be seen at blueletterbible.org and other sites: commentary. If I dislike your claim about something in the Bible, I can look it up. It's a little harder with the scientific body, but it's the same process. And I encourage you to make that distinction: From what are you deriving your scientific conclusions to protest against? Are you protesting a later author's conclusion? Does that later author include enough factors to legitimize that later conclusion? What is the fault of that conclusion, and how does that embody the whole of science?

I'd love to explore that aspect of it with you, Caleb. But most often irresponsible science indicates irresponsible conclusions derived for the purposes of a political position.

Think of Hawking's Brief History of Time. It's a bestseller. Is it definitive? No. Why? Because to be definitive would preclude it from being a bestseller; the market couldn't comprehend that amount of data. So he compresses, as best he can, without distorting the message. What happens then is that you can, indeed, find isolated faults because the author is speaking of trends. Let's imagine you're responding, then, to Hawking: are you responding to his actual science or to his bestselling compression thereof? It is, typically, a safe bet that those who can understand what Hawking is getting at also understand the limitations of such assertions.

Have you ever seen the whole of Einstein's notes for relativity written out? Suddenly, e=mc^2 doesn't seem quite adequate, does it? But it's the most relevant part of the theory, and therefore the one we know best.

That's all I'm after; when you cut through the pop-culture representations and get to the actual data, you might find that science doesn't say what you think it says.

And that might be part of the problem.

It's kind of like the people who celebrated that "Einstein has been proven wrong."

No, he hadn't. We just got to that point in our observational capabilities where Einstein said, "This theory won't work anymore". And, guess what? He was right about that, too. He even left future scientists a starting point for what he could not resolve without better equipment that never did come about during his lifetime. He said black holes would be there; they were. That's a little more impressive to me than the fact that a city mentioned in the Bible exists. What, Jerusalem isn't enough? Galilee?

We opened a couple of "time capsules" here in Seattle that were buried forty or fifty years ago. Inside one of them was letters from city councilmen. They complained about traffic. In the 1950's, we found a tremendous time capsule: Nag Hammadi. That these rumored scriptures actually exist seems to upset more Christians than anything.

Tommy Shaw, guitarist for Styx, sings, "It's all in how you say it."

Somedays, though, it really is all in how you take it.

I don't argue with you on the point of camels being early enough for the Bible, or floods in the history of human development; heck, I don't even think evolution contradicts the Bible. But that camels exist means nothing in relation to whether or not Jesus was the Son of God. That those floods exist have nothing to do with the Bible until those terms are scientifically reconciled, and presently they're not. (Worldwide flood or regional flood--I'll buy the legitimacy of a regional flood, constituting the world to the Biblical authors, but that doesn't work for some Christians, and I'll skip expounding on the evolution dichotomy.) What I hope to convey to you, sir, is that it's all an ongoing process. You'll have to point out what scientists and historians have to catch up on, because, frankly, scientists are also trying to catch up to Gene Roddenberry. You and Loone have managed to classify the Bible with Star Trek, and that one I'll gladly give you. Christianity still hasn't caught up to Hegel. Everybody seems stuck on Machiavelli ....

Okay, now I'm starting wax philosophical ... I'd best scoot along.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

how exactly is science the easy way again?

The easy way would be for science to keep moving in the right direction (ie. the direction of your neigbors house) instead of moving backward to the level of the Bible's reasoning.

There are two roads travelling in opposite directions here, one progressing toward knowlege, the other away from it. Guess, what? Religion is the latter.

I really enjoyed your reply tiassa. :)

I had not known about Nag Hammadi before. Also, your explanation about popular simplification was spot on.

Liked the analogy about salman rushdie and NYC. Direct, elegant. :)

There are two roads

Funny thing is, when you travel the road of science/history/whatever, you find yourself agreeing with the Bible. That was the point of my post.

Btw, am I the only one who can't understand 9/10th's of Tiassa's posts? For instance:

Can science verify how many of the Babylonians survived the flood? Does that number match what the Bible says?
??? Wanna rethink that?

The Bible says there were zero Babylonians that survived the flood. Big goose egg, nada, nothing, zero, zilch. Babylonians didn't originate till AFTER the flood. Therefore, I agree, it would pretty hard for science to proove that any Babylonians survived the flood. :D

On the other hand, the CIA supposedly has pictures of a large boat-shaped anomoly on Mt. Ararat. All top secret of course... :cool:

or...

scientists found evidence and made the appropriate adjustments. It's what science does.

Well, DUHHHH! The key point is that those adjustments agree with the Bible.

The only other sentence that I saw that had any bearing to the discussion at hand was:

the domestication of camels has other anthropological and sociological implications than the legitimacy of the Bible
Which is another "DUHHH!" It's the advancement of science. More knowledge of truth. That's GREAT! It will help bring into context, for instance, the study of Egyptian-Hittite, or Egyptian-Babylonian, or Egyptian/Mittani, or Egyptian/Canaanite trade. All of these things are great things for archaeologists to study, and I can understand that (I've hardly put down my Archaeology text-book since Thursday, I enjoy it so much). However, the point was brought up that science and Bible lead in opposite directions. I was merely demonstrating the errancy of that position.

Tiassa, on the other hand, seems to do nothing but change the subject after about five sentences. Also, he may have misunderstood my sarcasm in points one and two. I don't really think the Bible was innacurate, but I was mocking the critics who ttry to use archaeology to say the Bible was wrong. Then later it tturns out that the critics are the one who were wrong.

Btw, even though it seems completely irrelevant, I wouldn't be surprised if there was evidence of Tarshish ships that reached the Americas. I've always said those ancients were smarter than we give them credit for. ;) I also agree that the North American Indians were probably Japheth's descendants. So what? My questian would be, how can science even reach that conclusion when they don't believe there ever was such a person as Japheth?:confused:

~Caleb

Funny thing is, when you travel the road of science/history/whatever, you find yourself agreeing with the Bible. That was the point of my post.

Care to point out a few of these agreements?

On the other hand, the CIA supposedly has pictures of a large boat-shaped anomoly on Mt. Ararat. All top secret of course...

If it's top secret then how do you know about it? :p

Noaa and family was the first! After the flood!

Originally posted by Caleb

Which is another "DUHHH!" It's the advancement of science. More knowledge of truth. That's GREAT! It will help bring into context, for instance, the study of Egyptian-Hittite, or Egyptian-Babylonian, or Egyptian/Mittani, or Egyptian/Canaanite trade. All of these things are great things for archaeologists to study, and I can understand that (I've hardly put down my Archaeology text-book since Thursday, I enjoy it so much). However, the point was brought up that science and Bible lead in opposite directions. I was merely demonstrating the errancy of that position.

Tiassa, on the other hand, seems to do nothing but change the subject after about five sentences.YES SHE DOES!:rolleyes: Also, he/she may have misunderstood my sarcasm in points one and two. I don't really think the Bible was innacurate, but I was mocking the critics who ttry to use archaeology to say the Bible was wrong. Then later it tturns out that the critics are the one who were wrong. Amen! And the Bible is 100% historical fact; that science has some catching up to do on the facts of history! They (science) don't really know ALL there is to know about this Earth and it's history! No! Most science really know is theories that has to be revised many times over! And will untill they would accept a 'lie' or come to the 'truth!'

Btw, even though it seems completely irrelevant, I wouldn't be surprised if there was evidence of Tarshish ships that reached the Americas. I've always said those ancients were smarter than we give them credit for. ;) I also agree that the North American Indians were probably Japheth's descendants. So what? My questian would be, how can science even reach that conclusion when they don't believe there ever was such a person as Japheth?:confused:

~Caleb
Amen! Caleb! Ours is the Gospel of Peace, not of confusion!

Last edited:
Come on, Caleb ...

Yep, and that is why someday you'll be able to prove your point scientifically by showing us all God. :rolleyes:

Caleb, did you miss the part about the ships of Tarshish? Obviously not since you mention them later in your post. It looks like if you follow science in that case, you do not find yourself agreeing with the Bible. It would seem that, as pointed out earlier the Bible was wrong when it asserted that the east wind smashed the ship against the rocks. It would seem like your funny thing is a funny thing because it's a joke.
Btw, am I the only one who can't understand 9/10th's of Tiassa's posts? For instance:
Maybe you can ask G0D to fill you in.
??? Wanna rethink that?
Nope. Thanks for recognizing the point. The "science" of the Bible has traditionally relied on non-biblical assumptions. Does that mean, though, that you scientifically agree with Cotton Mather?
Well, DUHHHH! The key point is that those adjustments agree with the Bible.
As established, no they don't. Caleb, you're simply making yourself look foolish repeating what has already been demonstrated to not be true.
The only other sentence that I saw that had any bearing to the discussion at hand was:
Well, I've always asserted that Chrisitan faith damages one's reading comprehension. By restricting your context with such arbitrary faith templates, it pretty much screws up the way you perceive the world. Such as the fact that the Bible being wrong about certain ships is an indicator that science agrees with the Bible. What the hell are you talking about, Caleb?
However, the point was brought up that science and Bible lead in opposite directions. I was merely demonstrating the errancy of that position.
And I have quite thoroughly demonstrated the errancy of your position.
However, the point was brought up that science and Bible lead in opposite directions. I was merely demonstrating the errancy of that position.
Are you addressing me or are you campaigning again? Just because you say it's true doesn't mean it is: kind of like your bit about science agreeing with the Bible.
I don't really think the Bible was innacurate, but I was mocking the critics who try to use archaeology to say the Bible was wrong. Then later it tturns out that the critics are the one who were wrong.
Yeah, just like the Bible was wrong about the ships of Tarshish? You seem to be missing that point.
Btw, even though it seems completely irrelevant, I wouldn't be surprised if there was evidence of Tarshish ships that reached the Americas. I've always said those ancients were smarter than we give them credit for.
And the Bible says those ships were smashed by the will of God, as pointed out. So are you giving credit to the sailors and the ships for making it here, or are you giving credit to the Bible for being wrong? It seems your faith in the ancients contradicts your faith in the Bible.
I also agree that the North American Indians were probably Japheth's descendants. So what? My questian would be, how can science even reach that conclusion when they don't believe there ever was such a person as Japheth?
Caleb, you have two obligations that will help prevent you from looking like an idiot:

1) The theory which places Japheth's sons in the Americas relies on Babylonians surviving the flood. Would you care to revisit your own point on that?

2) Please show us the scientific assertion that Japheth did not exist.

So you understand that you have faith in the Bible, and that faith is not knowledge? I know you have faith that science reconciles with the Bible, but therein lies the problem: you're lying to yourself. And we can all see that. You complain that I "change the subject after five sentences". Caleb, quite simply, that is the problem with Christian faith: you can't follow intellectual things beyond their merest surface. That you can't follow the points is your own problem. It's quite obvious, too, that you can't follow those points because I don't think you're really so presumptuous that you would ridicule an obvious point on one hand and then agree with the idea that it serves as evidence toward on the other. If you really think that the science reflects the Bible ... well, go for it. Remind me not to get on a boat with you.

Caleb, it would seem that if I read anything the way you seem to be viewing posts I would simply stop reading at all. I should stop reading the Clive Barker novel because he keeps changing the subject. I shouldn't have read America BC because Dr Fell keeps changing the subject from the Irish to the Phoenecians to the Nubians to the Algonquin and the Pima to rocks and copper plates and so forth.

I can't imagine why I would ever have read the Bible; now there is a book that likes to change subjects. :rolleyes:

Come on, Caleb ... you and I know that science only gives a rat's ass about the Bible when someone is compelled to relate the two. You keep talking about these things that science asserts and what it sounds like is an embittered projection of the interior crisis of fundamental faith versus the glaring light of objectivity. Assert honestly or don't bother: if you are going to claim that "science" antagonizes the Bible, please cite those reports so we can read them and then explain to you why this particular person chose to use this particular data to make this particular point. And then we can dismantle the science-myth of that point together. And then we can learn a little history along the way while we debate about how that idea came to be so important that someone made this or that mistake in legitimizing it. And then we can call this or that report bad science because it doesn't meet scientific criteria through this or that.

I mean, really ... did you catch Loone's affirmations? In the face of the errancy of the Bible the best he can do is just shout out again that the Bible is 100% accurate without ever addressing the issue that somebody may well have found the evidence that proves such a silly assertion incorrect. You are, in essence, doing the same thing. And it's not like Dr Fell and other scientists are out there collecting evidence against the Bible; as he scientists began to pin down the origin of the evidence they were examining, any one of them familiar with the Psalms might remember what the Bible says about the ships of Tarshish.

And what, are they hostile to the Bible if it occurs to them that the ships which were supposedly smashed by the winds actually reached the other side of the ocean? Does that make a scientist a hater, Caleb?

We can clear up a lot of this sort of crap if you'd give some sort of substance to your generalized projections of science.

So please show me the scientific conclusion that Japheth, for instance, didn't exist. Or Ninevah. Or the Hittites.

thanx,
tiassa :cool:

Back