Acts of God

In nature there's no such thing as "acts of god". Everything happens naturally, random events are not acts of gods, volcanos, huricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc.. natural events are part of the earth's ecological nature like any other planet with out life, that sustain storms, volcanos, and earthquakes.

The only act of god I know of, is when man became self aware, consciousness evolved and wondered upon natural events. Acts of god, became the easy answer for unexplainable events of ancient times, and still today there are ingnoramous retards who still consider natural events to be "acts of god".

Godless.

You say this...
Godless said:
The only act of god I know of, is when man became self aware, consciousness evolved and wondered upon natural events.

and then you say this...
Godless said:
Acts of god, became the easy answer for unexplainable events of ancient times, and still today there are ingnoramous retards who still consider natural events to be "acts of god".

Surely believing the first of those statements puts you in the category of the second statement?

Why could man not become "self aware" naturally? Why do you deem this an "act of God" and other natural events as not?
Where's your dividing line?

Surely believing the first of those statements puts you in the category of the second statement?

In that instance I used "act of god" as a metaphorical statement. NOT as an actual act of god!. :eek:

But hey! metaphoricaly speaking is hard to grasp, and even harder to relate in such a limited medium such as these forums.

My name clearly states I don't belive in any form of god, though god is a metaphor for the "unexplained", once grasping this, you can relate "consciousness" as an act of god.

Yea! I believe we became self aware, concsious as a natural phenomena, however for milleniums philosophers, theologists, thinkers have tried to explain consciousness, this renders consciousness and self awarness as an unexplained phenomenum thus the proper "metaphor" for consciousness is "act of god". *unexplainable*

Godless.

Godless said:
My name clearly states I don't belive in any form of god, though god is a metaphor for the "unexplained", once grasping this, you can relate "consciousness" as an act of god.

your saying god is a name for something that you cant explain.

no he's saying it's a metaphor for the unexplained,
metaphor: A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in “a sea of troubles” or “All the world's a stage” (Shakespeare).

Clears throat hrmm! correct fahrenheit, and thanks.

The use of metaphor, in language was and is the basis of the development of human consciousness according to Dr. Julian Jaynes "The Origin of Consciousness in the
Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" http://www.julianjaynes.org/bicameralmind.php

When ancient humans first became self aware all that could not be explained, became some sort of god, i.e. god of thunder, god of wind, volcanos were thought as gods, Poseidon god of the sea, etc... well today counsciousness is a phenomenum that many have tried to explain, including Julian Jaynes, Dennet, John Locke, David Hume, amongs many others too numerous to mention. Thus the proper "metaphor" for unexplainable phenomena of consciousness would be that word with no "identity" such as "god", another unexplainable phenomena of the human psyche.

Godless.

The way I see it EVERYTHING is an act of god, or "design" of god. Everything follows god's laws of physics. So ultimately he is responsible for everything that happens. Why he just HAD to make earth with moving tectonic plates that can rub together giving rise to earthquakes causing all kinds of destruction is a mystery to me...considering that he could pick any design he pleases. You'd think he could see the potential problems of these tectonic plates like an engineer troubleshooting a new design for an engine let's say. But hey, if that's the way he wants it then that's the way he wants it. It personally wouldn't be my design. And I wouldn't design tornadoes and hurricanes, and bacteria and viruses that make us sick, and genetic flaws that causes joined twins and multiple sclerosis and cancer etc etc etc. You see, EVERY LAST THING IN THIS WORLD AND IN THE UNIVERSE had to be first designed by god. Because before the 7 days of creation, nothing, absolutely NOTHING existed. Except god. Therefore god is the author of everything that is here now or will be in the future. Be it good or not.

To say that god's creation shouldn't be a reflection of how he thinks of us is wrong because the bible is always saying to praise god for his gifts and good works he does for us. Give praise for god's goodness. That is a direct relationship between god and his children. He WANTS to have a relationship with us. But when innocent people die because of the apparent meaningless movements of tectonic plates, especially if god didn't HAVE to create it that way, then it only makes it harder for us to understand him. And the last thing that god wants is to distance himself with us.

You do realise of course that the bible does not hold the universal license and copyright as to the definition of what is "GOD"?

I asked the question as to whether acts of God could be considered as deliberate for a reason.
In fact in recent times can there be anything deemed to be a deliberate act of God?

It should be quite telling to anyone paying attentions that seemingly random events are explained as "acts of god". Doesn't that tell you a little something about god?

Not that he's mean.

Nor that he's pissed....

... but that the idea of god is a conceptual scapegoat for that which lies beyond the comprehension of the individual applying the label.

Godless said:
In that instance I used "act of god" as a metaphorical statement. NOT as an actual act of god!. :eek:

But hey! metaphoricaly speaking is hard to grasp, and even harder to relate in such a limited medium such as these forums.

Yea! I believe we became self aware, concsious as a natural phenomena, however for milleniums philosophers, theologists, thinkers have tried to explain consciousness, this renders consciousness and self awarness as an unexplained phenomenum thus the proper "metaphor" for consciousness is "act of god". *unexplainable*

Godless.

I've explained consciousness.

It could be a crock of shit though.

"...You do realise of course that the bible does not hold the universal license and copyright as to the definition of what is "GOD"?..."

Well it's a good start. Do you have any other sources that we're not aware of? Maybe some "inside information"? :)

wesmorris said:
It should be quite telling to anyone paying attentions that seemingly random events are explained as "acts of god". Doesn't that tell you a little something about god?

Not that he's mean.

Nor that he's pissed....

... but that the idea of god is a conceptual scapegoat for that which lies beyond the comprehension of the individual applying the label.

This is true for the cognitive sphere.
But it is not true for the ethical sphere.

The implications of "godididit" in the cognitive sphere can be a convenient scapegoat, and often are. Here, "goddidit" is cognitive reductionism.

However, in the sphere of the ethical, "goddidit" is not reductionism anymore, not at all. Saying that God did something is saying that everything is connected by some highest organisational principle, and that this principle is of highest ethical instance.

But as it is, the cognitive, the emotive and the ethical often get mixed up. Someone says "God did it" and by this actually has in mind the ethical sphere and the implications therein, but someone hearing this may be understading it in the sphere of the cognitive and the implications therein.
No wonder the two don't understand eachother and one thinks the other disobedient and valueless, and the another thinks the other irrational.

P.S.
I will reply in the other thread as soon as I have more time. Exam's on Wednesday.

water said:
This is true for the cognitive sphere.
But it is not true for the ethical sphere.

The implications of "godididit" in the cognitive sphere can be a convenient scapegoat, and often are. Here, "goddidit" is cognitive reductionism.

However, in the sphere of the ethical, "goddidit" is not reductionism anymore, not at all. Saying that God did something is saying that everything is connected by some highest organisational principle, and that this principle is of highest ethical instance.

But as it is, the cognitive, the emotive and the ethical often get mixed up. Someone says "God did it" and by this actually has in mind the ethical sphere and the implications therein, but someone hearing this may be understading it in the sphere of the cognitive and the implications therein.
No wonder the two don't understand eachother and one thinks the other disobedient and valueless, and the another thinks the other irrational.

P.S.
I will reply in the other thread as soon as I have more time. Exam's on Wednesday.

How does the "ethical sphere" apply to "acts of god"?

How are ethics not cognitive?

Last edited:
Brutus1964,

God does not interfere with the natural workings of the Earth. If an earthquake or a tsunami happens then they happen naturally. By not stopping them does not mean he causes them.

But it does mean that He sees it as somehow right or just.

Or that He's apathetic.

The reason why the tsunami produced so many deaths was man's fault not Gods.

So are ya saying those that died kuz of the tsunami deserved it?

If the same thing was to happen to the United States there would be very few deaths.

Only kuz tsunamis typically don't grow big enough to be able to reach any major residential areas and kill as many people as were killed with this particular one.

We care about our people and have invested millions in early warning systems. The countries that were affected certainly could have had warning systems of their own but the leaders are more interested in building palaces and enriching themselves rather that protecting their people.

Is there proof for this?

Before the atonement God's judgment was much more severe. All of mans sins were on there own shoulders, but Christ changed that. He paid for our sins so it allowed God to show mercy on us. It doesn't mean however that we are not subject to natural consequences of our actions.

I always thought that God was supposed to punish people for their sins by sending them to Hell rather than by letting a natural disaster kill them.

You could say that God follows the "prime directive".

Kinda like on Star Trek?

He does not interfere with our free agency or nature. Remember, our test to being on Earth and to have mortal bodies is to see how we will behave and learn being out of his presence. Any interference would jeopardize that.

So He's apathetic?

Have you heard of the "canape" theory? Some speculate that before the flood there was a canape of water vapor that completely encircled the Earth. This made the earth a perfect greenhouse. The flood was caused by the canape condensing and flooding the earth.

Is this canopy (notice the spelling) theory a theory — or rather, hypothesis — that's backed up by scientific research?

The remnant of this are the polar ice caps. Scientists say there is enouph water in the polor ice caps that if they melted the water would cover all the dry land.

No there isn't. It would only raise the global sea level by six feet. It would cover some land, and there are a few islands that would cease to exist, but there isn't enough water on the Earth to submerge all dry land.

This could also explain why there was never a rainbow before the flood.

What would? The hypothesis that the atmosphere was saturated with water vapor?

Assuming for a sec that the mythical flood of which you speak actually happened, is there any proof that there was never a rainbow before it?

I wonder if there is any scientific evidence to back that up?

So ye'r just believing in it kuz it sounds kool?

We know that places that are frozen now were once lush and green so we know that the Earth was more of a greenhouse before than it is now.

But that's not proof for yer canopy hypothesis.

I think that the stories in Genesis actually happened a very long time ago. Much longer than 6000 years ago.

Yeah?

Adam and Eve could have been in the garden for thousands of years before they fell.

Wow . . . That's quite a long lifespan.

Remember that God rested on the seventh day. How long was that seventh day?

Probably a day.

This period of rest would have been while Adam and Eve were still in the garden. So it could have been for a very long time. Long enough for Dinosaurs to have come and gone perhaps?

. . . Interesting.

When ever people ask a question and demand a simple yes or no answer it is usually because they are trying to trap you. That is an old lawyer trick.

As SnakeLord had said before, that wouldn't be a problem for you if you couldn't be trapped.

Also if God could just snap his finger and have all creation done in that instant of time it wouldn't have had to take him six days.

So why did it?

The days mentioned in the Bible refer to periods of time.

How so?

What is a day anyway? It is just a measurement of time based on one revolution of the Earth. What is a day to the sun? What is day to the moon? A day is only relative to the celestial body you happen to be on.

And we happen to be on the Earth. Therefore, a day is 24 hours long.

What is a day to God?

Probably 24 hours.

Plus if you take the order of creation that Genesis provides then you would have to believe that the Earth was made before the sun or before the stars.

Well if Genesis, the infallable Word of God, says it is so . . .

I don't think so.

That doesn't matter. Ye'r boxed into the belief that the Earth was made before the sun and stars.

Some things in the Bible are literal but other things are allegorical

And how does one tell what's literal and what's allegorical?

The God you [ellion] describe does not seem like a sentient being at all but just a force of nature.

What ellison described could be a sentient being. Explain how it couldn't.

To me God is an actual living being that looks just like us in form. He is not everywhere but his influence is.

I thought God didn't interfere with us. Influencing is interfering, if I'm not mistaken. Please tell me if I am.

He is not interested in being worshiped for his sake but for ours.

Why does He need to be worshiped for our sake? Please explain.

He wants to give his children everything he has.

Why hasn't He? Or has He?

He put us here to give us physical mortal bodies so we can learn the difference between good and evil, pleasure and pain, joy and sadness.

Why can't we learn all that stuff with nonphysical immortal bodies?

He will reward all of his children even down to the worst of us with incomprehensible gifts.

So really, no one goes to Hell?

Only those who have a perfect knowledge of God and still reject him will receive no glory.

And can anyone really have perfect knowledge of God?

If you want my guesses were heaven is I would say it is in another dimension. I believe that Earth was in the same dimension until the fall of Adam. Then the earth was placed in its current position. I see spirit as being a dimension of its own so really we occupy both dimensions but physically we are only here. When we die we leave this dimension but our spirit selves still live on in the spirit dimension.

This sounds like a realm to me. Is this the same realm in which John Edwards (I think that's his name) can talk to people who've crossed over?

He has a body of flesh and bone that is perfected and glorified.

He has a body of flesh and bone? So He's a concrete entity?

When you look in the mirror you see the same image that God himself has.

Everyone looks different. Who does He look like? Or do ya mean He looks roughly like us, and differs in likeness from us only as much as we differ in likeness from each other?

When Christ turned the water into wine he commanded the atoms in the water to reorganize into the molecules that make up wine.

It's not possible to take just hydrogen and oxygen atoms and reassemble them to make wine.

How did God get where he is? Well he was once a man like us and he too went through a similar life on an earth. He did all that was required of Him and he was exalted into the Celestial Kingdom. He and his wife had billions of spirit children that we were apart of. He proposed a plan for us to also achieve what he did. So he created our Earth and put us on it. If we do what is required then we too will be exalted and continue the never ending always existing continuum of the God's. Once you are a God you too will be an eternal being having no beginning and no end. You and your eternal wife will also have spirit children who will also be eligible for Godhood if they follow your commandments.

Wow . . . This is a first time I've seen such a belief! Where on Earth did you come to that belief? It just seems so unique. Please tell.

Questions from Athelwulf to Brutus1964

Q:But it does mean that He sees it as somehow right or just.
Or that He's apathetic.

a: God is not apathetic. He cares a great deal and weeps when we are hurting. He wants all happy but he gave us free agency which comes with good as well as the bad.

Q:So are ya saying those that died kuz of the tsunami deserved it?
A: No I am saying that the deaths were preventable.

Q:Only kuz tsunamis typically don't grow big enough to be able to reach any major residential areas and kill as many people as were killed with this particular one. Is there proof for this?

A: Actually there is a chance both the East and West Coasts could be hit with a major tsunami. There is a volcano Island Near the strait of Gabralter. Scientists fear the entire valcano could calaps into the sea and create a huge tsunami that would inindate the entire East Coast from Florida Clear to Canada. Still if that happened we would have at least a day to warn our citizens and loss of life would be at a minumum. The damage however would be immeasurable.

Q:Kinda like on Star Trek?

A: Yes I got that from star Trek but I was only using that as an analogy.

Q: Is this canopy (notice the spelling) theory a theory — or rather, hypothesis — that's backed up by scientific research?

A:No I said it was a theory. It is not LDS church doctrine.

Q:No there isn't. It would only raise the global sea level by six feet. It would cover some land, and there are a few islands that would cease to exist, but there isn't enough water on the Earth to submerge all dry land.

A: I don't think all the polar icecaps melting would cover all the dry land either. Most of the ice is already in the ocean so if it melted it would not raise the sea level even an inch. It is only ice that is out of the ocean that can raise sea levels if it melted.

Q:What would? The hypothesis that the atmosphere was saturated with water vapor? Assuming for a sec that the mythical flood of which you speak actually happened, is there any proof that there was never a rainbow before it?

A: If the canopy theory is correct there would not be rainbows because light going through it would refract too much. Just like you don't see very many rainbows on a completely overcast day. I could be wrong on that though so take that as gospel.

Q:Wow . . . That's quite a long lifespan.

A: Adam and Eve were immortal until they fell, Therefore they could have lived forever in the garden. However that was not God's plan for them or us.

Q:Well if Genesis, the infallable Word of God, says it is so . . .

A: I never said the Bible is the infallable word of God. It contains the word of God, but it was written by men. It has been translated and interpreted by men so it certainly contains errors.

Q:And how does one tell what's literal and what's allegorical?

A: That is one reason why we have a modern day prophet to help us sort that out. Also the Bible is best read by taking the principles out of the stories, not so much the stories themselves. Even the allegorical parts contain correct principles.

Q:What ellison described could be a sentient being. Explain how it couldn't.

A: Do you believe a force of nature can be sentient? My point was that people have such a far out view of God that He Ceases to be personal. I don't blame atheists for not believing in God when they have such an unbelievable description of God to work with.

Q:I thought God didn't interfere with us. Influencing is interfering, if I'm not mistaken. Please tell me if I am.

A: He certainly influences us. He gives us inspiration through the spirit and helps us out. However, anything he does must be our choice to accept or reject otherwise he would interfere with out free agency, and he does not do that.

Q:Why does He need to be worshiped for our sake? Please explain.

A: God is not an egotist. He did not create us for himself. He created us so that we can live and experience life. He wants us to return to him but to do that we must follow him and keep his commandments. That is why he wants us to worship him so that we can return.

Q:Why can't we learn all that stuff with nonphysical immortal bodies?
A: Because we need to experience it all to truly understand it. Non physical immortal bodies do not feel pain. They do not feel joy. You must experience mortality and all it entails in order to understand and appreciate immortality.

Q:So really, no one goes to Hell?

A: Those who do not accept Christ and repent of their sins must pay for their own sins after they die. Hell is not fire and brimstone. Hell is a temporary condition until the final judgment when all debts are settled and everyone receives their final glory.

Q:And can anyone really have perfect knowledge of God?

A: Very few people who have gained mortality can have a perfect knowledge of God. Only those that were given a special privilege like a prophet or an apostle can gain perfect knowledge in this life. That is why it is such a damning sin to reject him after that. Cain was the first Son of Perdition because he had a perfect knowledge of God and still rejected him.

Q:He has a body of flesh and bone? So He's a concrete entity?

A: Yes, God has a physical body of flesh and bone. He is as concrete as you and me. However his body is perfect, immortal, and glorified.

Q:Everyone looks different. Who does He look like? Or do ya mean He looks roughly like us, and differs in likeness from us only as much as we differ in likeness from each other?

A: Yes everyone looks different but we all have the same form. Just like God. He has a head, arms, legs, torso. Everything a man has.

Q:It's not possible to take just hydrogen and oxygen atoms and reassemble them to make wine.

A: It is possible if you know exactly what they are and how to manipulate them. Just add a few protons and neutrons and electrons together and you can create anything. God and Jesus Christ know all the properties of atoms and the atoms obey their commands.

Q:Wow . . . This is a first time I've seen such a belief! Where on Earth did you come to that belief? It just seems so unique. Please tell.
A: Yes the LDS (Mormon) Church does have some unique doctrines. That is because we have the fullness of the gospel.

Last edited:
Godless said:
In that instance I used "act of god" as a metaphorical statement. NOT as an actual act of god!.

Godless.

Ah. Metaphor. :eek:
Must add that to my vocabulary. :D

I had thought as much, especially given your name, but in a forum where the idea of God and meaning of God is always being questioned, I was unsure if it was metaphor or literal.

Consider me further educated in your beliefs. :D

wesmorris said:
How are ethics not cognitive?

This needs a little preparation. When we approach a phenomenon, we usually operate with three kinds of criteria cognitive (gnostic), ethical and emotive (so the constructivistic explanation).
We understand that there are three components to each phenomenon.
Unless we make a specific analytical distinction between them, in everyday life, we make our judgement of something using all three criteria simultaneously, and our judgement is a compund result of all of them. But typically, when clarifying, we do distinguish between the three.

To explain on an example: Take the film Dogma (I chose it simply because it is well-known and I know enough details about it, there are no other implications here):

The cognitive (or gnostic) component is:
The main characters are: Bartelby, Loki, Metatron, (ah, what was her name) ... Bartleby and Loki receive a letter in which there is a hint to ... They decide to go to ... Simultaneously, ...
>> This is about the plot of the story, the characters, the events. Something that is interpersonally verifiable by those who have seen the film.

The ethical component: This is where it gets problematic. This is where it becomes apparent how an individual's own ethics interpret the ethics in the film. Was what Bartleby and Loki wanted morally right or not? Is this film merely a parody of the Catholic church with the intention to insult it? ... And so on. This is where we can argue about, on and on.

The emotive component: Is about the individual viewer's personal enjoyment or distaste at this film, his affectations at particular scenes. Once more something that there can be no interpersonal consensus about.

Now, to apply this approach to the Bible and religious faith:

When people argue that there is no evidence for the existence of God, or that the factual discrepancies in the text (Was Jesus riding a donkey or a calf?) discredit it, and so on, they are applying only one criterium: the cognitive (gnostic).
They are reading the Bible the same way they would read a scientific paper. As if the Bible were some logico-philosophical tractatus, and that alone.

From this perspective, religious faith, and any faith, is to be discarded, as there is no interpersonally verfiable and controlably repeatable observation possible.

If we would apply only this criterium, then ALL that Dogma is about, for example, is Bartleby and Loki going to that church and the rest of the plot.

Reducing our observation only to the emotive component, then the Bible and religious faith are just about "feeling good", or "feeling bad" (for some). Once more a position that is hard to maintain consistently.

Often, and this is also the most immediately easy to do, next to cognitive reductionism, is to commit ethical reductionism. It's the "If you don't believe what I do, you are a bad person and you will go to hell" line of argument.

Most clashes between theists and non-theists happen because non-theists tend to argue from congitive reductionism (the "scientific arguments" against God; "you are just proving that you are insane"), and other times from ethical reductionism ("God is not all-good, if he were, he would not let bad things to happen").
There are of course also theists commiting ethical reductionism, the prime example was Proud Muslim.

Other clashes happen when the same phenomenon is viewed from incompatible perspectives (this isn't necessarily reductionism though, only a misunderstanding of the topic): one party views the cognitive component, while the other party views the ethical or emotive component.

Like:
Wes: You must study so you can get a degree, get a good job and earn a lot of money.
Water: School sucks.

Both statements are true, but the conversation can continue only if the parties settle to talk about the same component of the phenomenon. Either Wes shifts to the emotive component and talks about how school sucks, or Water shifts to the cognitive component and talks about how good it is to have a degree and all that.

In debates about God and faith, this sort of "component misunderstanding" is very frequently the case. we often argue about high theological issues for reasons that don't have something directly to do with them. Maybe we rationalize and intellectualize our disappointment or misery, and then wrap it all up into an "argument against God", and then a theist comes and addresses the arguments as it is -- theologically, cognitively, when the starter of the argument actually had emotional issues.

How does the "ethical sphere" apply to "acts of god"?

I hope that in the light of the above-said, this question is partly answered already.
For a moment forgetting what exactly is an act of God, the ethical component in an act of God is an estimation like "God is just" or "God doesn't tolerate sin".

Note here that talking about religious ethics is purposeful only as long as we are talking about actual historic religions, and not about a generic religion and generic gods.
For example, a generic religion does not have a set of commandments that come with sanctions. A generic religion is a philosophical construct that we can play with, but discard just as easily, it does not require commitment and active personal involvement.

(Of course, any actual historic religion can be *treated* as if it were a generic religion -- but this doesn't make it one.)

"but are they deliberate acts?"
I guess my original question was aimed at the believer. May be I was being a little unfair by giving the opportunity for the answer to be "no" not deliberate but an act of God all the same thus allowing the believer a chance at moderating and defining his definition of that which is God.

Essentially I am asking "Is God able to act deliberately?" And if so .......and so on and so on....

Quantum Quack said:
Essentially I am asking "Is God able to act deliberately?" And if so .......and so on and so on....

Well, this only reflects that the god you had in mind was a generic god.
Generic gods are philsoophical constructs, sock puppets we put up to fix the problems with linear causality and systemic incompleteness.
Such gods are indeed intellectual escapes of a lazy mind.

But you might want to start a thread on this -- give your question more exposure.

Back