ABORTION- Post opinions here!

...I don't think it's wrong to ovulate or ejaculate. Like I've stated previously, I think it's wrong once the life process has been started (the semen enters the egg).

Yeah, but your opinions are asinine and you are boring. I liked my reduction ad absurtium of your crappy argument about "potential for life".

I think abortion is usually a good idea whenever a woman decides to have one if their decision is based on practicality instead of moral. Moral can be very overrated.

LACLY,

Your parents did the right thing. It is very stupid to get pragnent as a 17 year old, it would have been beyond stupid to become a single mother.

Pre-Abortion Counseling?

I would be much more comfortable with women getting elective (vs. medically necessary) abortions if they were required to first complete some sort of pre-abortion counseling. Perhaps they "want" the abortion simply because they just don't know what their options are. I know I would have made a different decision...

Originally posted by Joeman
LACLY,

Your parents did the right thing. It is very stupid to get pragnent as a 17 year old, it would have been beyond stupid to become a single mother.
<p>Joeman: I understand where you're coming from. However, that decision haunts me to this day. It's entirely too easy to get the abortion and expect the problem to go away. Pregnancy is far more than a physical condition. You may terminate the pregnancy, but (in my case, anyway) that baby will always be there.

btw Joeman... I'm actually a bright individual. My pregnancy at age 17 was more a result of irrational teenage defiance, rebellion, and that curious desire to grow up. Stupid, no... naive & ignorant, a resounding HELL YES!!!!

My ex was pregnant at 16, had an abortion. I can't blame her. She was not even slightly ready to raise a kid. In fact, she's barely capable of any normal human interaction even now. That was long before I met her of course. I've never had to deal with a girlfriend being in that situation. I'm reasonably certain I won't have a solid opinion on the matter until I have.

Are there any recent statistics that show the number of abortions per age group? I'm curious if there is any strength to the argument that teenagers should practice abstinence.

20-24 years of age has the highest rate, but the chart I'm looking at is old.

http://www.abortionfacts.com/statistics/age.asp

But, then again, the CDC has this chart...

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss4911a1.htm

s911a1f2.gif

Hmm...

Yeah, but your opinions are asinine and you are boring. I liked my reduction ad absurtium of your crappy argument about "potential for life".

Good for you, Xev. Go show it off to your friends. It must make you feel powerful to belittle the only person with a different opinion than yours. I'm boring, yet you continue to post on the thread that I started. If that is the case, you must be extremely desperate for attention.

You must save your intelligent conversation for elsewhere, because I haven't seen any from you here.

I think abortion is just the same as murder. Think of it what you will, that is my opinion. Whether it is legal or not, I don't agree with it. I've stated why I feel this way. It's a difference in opinion. Ultimately, most of you don't think there is life until the child is born. Or, if there is life before, that it doesn't have a right to live if it is a burden to the mother. Ok, those are your opinions.

I would never tell anyone that I approve of them getting an abortion. Bottom line.

It doesn't mean that if my daughter were to get one, I would disown her. I would not approve of it.

Some of the posts here have influenced me in that sense. I leave it up to informed decision. Just as we teach our children about sex and it's possible consequences, we should bring up abortion and it's consequences.

It would be wrong to force someone to go through a pregnancy if they were against it. I've thought about it today. I'm sure if it were mandatory for everyone who were pregnant to have the baby, we'd see an increase in the amount of suicides for females.

So, as much as I oppose killing another human (and I believe abortion is just that), I would not kill others to force my views. I would hope we could find better ways to prevent abortions. Celibacy cannot be the answer, as that again is forcing people to do things they don't want to do (and they will do it anyway if they really want to).

Ok, so you have convinced me that making abortions illegal is not the answer. Abstinence isn't either. I guess we can only hope that other birth control methods become available, and that the parents are open minded enough to allow their children to use them.

What you have stated is that you are morally against abortion. There is no way I'm going to convince you to change your morals. However, it's good that you recognize that laws should not be based on your, or my, morals.

This is weird

I know lotsa people think the only pro-lifers that exist are Chrisitans, but almost all the atheists I know despise abortion also.

Now, I'm a Catholic, but I'm not against abortion because it is murder, but because it is taking responsibility out of society.

Not one person on sciforums, or probably any kid 12+, knows that if you have sex, you have the chance of getting the girl pregnent. Therefore, the simple solution is to [gasp] NOT HAVE SEX.

Isn't that simple?

Don't give me shit about sex drive and crap like that. I'm a teenager and music addict, but I've gone for months at a time without any more than one hour of computer, TV, and radio time (1 hour total, not per) a week.

If you're ready for a baby, more power to you, but not a soul who is capable to have sex doesn't know what it causes. Therefore, it is a case of irresponsibilty. Let the ignorant and dumb figure out their own problems, without destroying it.

The trouble, YoungWriter, is that there is a large percentage out there that are not going to do as you do. Pregnacies do not come from eating watermelon seeds.

Because a young girl is not ready for a baby does not stop nature from having it's way. Nor will those young girls who feel the pressure of their boyfriends wanting sex. Sex is a fact of life. So are abortions. You, I, nor the government has any right to take away the choice from the woman who must choose.

But that doesn't solve the problem of teenage pregnancy an abortion, Wet. It sounds very noble, but it doesn't do much that is useful or productive.

Oh, and a few (one)statistics

Less than 1% of abortions are done under the circumstances of rape, or where the woman's life is endangered by carrying and/or having the baby (I'm assuming the stat is directed towards phsyical harm).

That means 99% of abortions are used as, more or less, really late birth control.

I believe that, as intelligent individuals, we should let them deal with the problem. There should never be a job that lessens the responsibility of the individual. Unfortunately, there are many.

Back