A really great story

and then they all lived happy ever after.
nice story.
but how is it life changing.

It causes you to look at the world differently if you really stop and think about it. If you're "shallow minded" then I guess it's just another story.

you only look at the world differently, mate.
if you follow it by example, because you life is lacking something, but if your life is not lacking anything, and you lead a virtuous life, then it is just a book.
thats not shallow mindedness, thats confidence in yourself and your fellow man.

You know, there is this button on your keyboard called "shift". Whenever you hold it down and press a letter at the same time, it will make what is called a "capital letter". Now, if we want to appear educated, we can begin our sentences with these "capital letters" and everyone can see that we know how to form complete sentences!

You totally missed the point of the story too pal, I doubt you even read it.

It was an interesting story although could have made its point a lot sooner.

But I found it difficult to extract the life lesson from amongst the religious bindweed.

In the end all I can see that it says is that everyone will be happier if everyone loves one another. Or was there something else?

But then this lesson is not new but is difficult to implement.

Last edited:
Frisbinator said:
If you're "shallow minded" then I guess it's just another story.
I thought it was a blatantly didactic tale which wasn't written very well, and failed miserably at making it's point convincingly.
It was a poorly contrived circumstance generated to pass along a trite sentiment in a pedandtic manner.
I wasn't impressed at all.

"Shallow minded"? That's awfully Christian of you, you pompous, sanctimonius prick.

Frisbinator said:
You know, there is this button on your keyboard called "shift". Whenever you hold it down and press a letter at the same time, it will make what is called a "capital letter". Now, if we want to appear educated, we can begin our sentences with these "capital letters" and everyone can see that we know how to form complete sentences!

you know, it's exactly people like you that make me glad i've stopped capitalising. not so much out of laziness (though the shift key is sticky on my present keyboard), as aesthetics. and sometimes i do it out of sheer spite for sticklers such as yourself.

Cris said:
In the end all I can see that it says is that everyone will be happier if everyone loves one another. Or was there something else?

But then this lesson is not new but is difficult to implement.

It's difficult to implement any lesson only if people don't believe in God, or karma.

Well Dr. Cello, you sure have taught me a lesson. Seeing you not capitalize has just ruined my entire life! Making yourself look like you're grammatical skills aren't past a 1st grade level just really irks me! Touche my friend, "tou-che"!

Ok "One_Raven", I guess Tolstoy couldn't "write very well", even though he has been hailed as one of the greatest novelists who ever lived, he couldn't "write very well". Maybe it's because he didn't go to the Thesaurus to find all of these big words, which normal secure human beings never use, everytime he wrote! It's just a fluke that his name inevitably turns up on almost every 100 greatest books ever written list, usually in the top 30!

Regardless of what you believe in, this is a great story that can really challenge your way of thinking, and if you can't see that, then it's your loss.

Fris,

..this is a great story that can really challenge your way of thinking...
How so? What is it that you can see that we can't?

Frisbinator said:
Ok "One_Raven", I guess Tolstoy couldn't "write very well", even though he has been hailed as one of the greatest novelists who ever lived, he couldn't "write very well". Maybe it's because he didn't go to the Thesaurus to find all of these big words, which normal secure human beings never use, everytime he wrote! It's just a fluke that his name inevitably turns up on almost every 100 greatest books ever written list, usually in the top 30!
I said nothing about Tolstoy's writing ability in general.
I was talking about THIS PARTICULAR story.
Even if I DID say that Tolstoy's writing is over-rated, the fact that many people disagreed with me wouldn't mean a damned thing except that many people disagree with me.
Do you think that only art with critical acclaim is good and ALL art with critical acclaim is good?
That pretty damned pathetic!
"You said this story isn't good, but Tolstoy is a popular author. You must be dumb."
How about arguding the story itself based on it's own merits? Give it a try.

Frisbinator said:
Regardless of what you believe in, this is a great story that can really challenge your way of thinking, and if you can't see that, then it's your loss.
It did not challeneg my way of thinking because, as I said, it was a blatantly contrived pedantic idea.
It was simple, uninspired, unoriginal and boring.

If it changed the way YOU see the world, good for you (although I think it's pretty sad that you DIDN'T value compassion and love BEFORE you read it).
If you think that EVERYONE must have the same reaction you did, and if they didn't they must have something wrong with them, then you are a closed minded myopic moron. And it's no wonder you insist on other people telling you what and how to think.

Tell me exactly what was so amazing and life changing about it.
What does it challenege at all?
It is a simple tale attemtping to demonstrate the value of love and compassion (and God's plan).
What is so earth shattering about that?
HOW did it change your life? Did you NOT value compassion before?

By the way, just because War and Peace is widely considered one of the world's classic novels, that does not mean that everything Tolstoy has written is made of gold.
Have you never heard of a very good musician making a bad song?
I prefer to judge each work of art individually based on its own merits, not the laurels of the artist.

audible said:
and then they all lived happy ever after.
nice story.
but how is it life changing.
It shows the value of love and that we don't only do things for our own pleasure.

Also, it shows what it means to be "dead" even when alive.

Life changing because it can give you the "kick in the butt" you need to actually practise what you know.

The story is good because it shows that the teachings of Christianity can be implemented in real life situations.

To Frisbinator and Cyperium:

Having read that story, and stated that it's a life changer etc, kindly tell me how many homeless people you have given all your money, food and clothing to since reading it?

SnakeLord said:
To Frisbinator and Cyperium:

Having read that story, and stated that it's a life changer etc, kindly tell me how many homeless people you have given all your money, food and clothing to since reading it?
I haven't met any homeless people (since I live in Sweden and they are few - or not visible to us).

Though when I meet someone that begs for money I usually give, not all I have but at least some. We should try to do our best to reach our goal.

You know, it's not only homeless people or very poor people. You should share what you have with your friends and create a air of "what's mine is yours", if it's ok friends, if they just try to take advantage of you then they aren't that great friends. Really. Isn't that what Jesus did too? He shared everything He had with His followers and He told them to do the same and to love eachother as He had loved them.

It is a "life changer", but only if you give it your best and nothing says that it will take only a few days, also it doesn't cover all areas of life, so there's nothing to say that you are suddenly *saved* because you followed what was written in that story - it can be a great push forward though.

Though when I meet someone that begs for money I usually give, not all I have but at least some. We should try to do our best to reach our goal.

Ok, and now question 2:

Did you give to homeless people, (if you saw any), before reading that story?

Advance warning:

If you say "yes", then the story can hardly be considered a "life changer", considering nothing has changed.

If you say "no", then I would state you did need that story but the majority of us do not. I have always given what I can to people in need but only read that story a day or two ago. Nothing has changed since then - the story changes nothing other than gives me knowledge of one more poorly written story.

Personally I'd stick to Aesop. Better written and better morals.

M*W: Like all Russian literature, the story drags on and on. I agree with SnakeLord and Aesop. As for homeless people, I personally like to give to them. I don't really care what they use my money for -- it's probably alcohol. The whole purpose of giving is the act of giving. When you give, regardless of what they use it for, you will receive. It's the yin and yang of life. What you give comes back to you moreso.

One New Year's Eve I was all alone and needing company. I went out and bought a bunch of six-packs of beer and drove around to all the homeless spots and gave them a beer. I made a lot of homeless people happy that night, but not as much as myself! It's not what you give but that you give unconditionally. That was one of my best New Year's Eves!

one_raven said:
I thought it was a blatantly didactic tale which wasn't written very well

it's not that tolstoy's a bad writer...perhaps it was the translation. and besides, the man isn't exactly known for brevity in his literature. he espouses the same theme of love and compassion in war and peace, but because of its length it comes off as less "didactic." He's not subtle, to be sure, but directness in classic literature is, in my opinion, something much too scarce.

about this story, personally i think i would have gotten more out of it if it hadn't been trying to convert me the whole time.

Back