A question on God and Indian giving.

While I also agree (as does Wiki), there seems to be no other English word that accurately conveys the concept.

This is the best Wiki could do:Hardly a word most Americans would be familiar with, although some/many may be able to decipher it. I have no idea how common it is in other English speaking countries.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives? What about in other languages?

Ah, well I guess it's better to describe it rather than using the racist term if that's the only term available.

Yes, it is actually.
Nope.
Take:
1. To get into one's possession by force, skill, or artifice, especially:
a. To capture physically; seize: take an enemy fortress.
b. To seize with authority; confiscate.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/take+on

Get:
a. To come into possession or use of; receive: got a cat for her birthday.
b. To meet with or incur: got nothing but trouble for her efforts.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/get+on

Yes, it is actually.
Isn't 'taking' active while 'getting' is passive?
'Taking' describes one actively acquiring something with or without consent, while 'getting' describes one passively acquiring something because someone else has decided to give it to you.
That's my take on it anyway..

This would seem to be a better characterization.

While I also agree (as does Wiki), there seems to be no other English word that accurately conveys the concept.

This is the best Wiki could do:Hardly a word most Americans would be familiar with, although some/many may be able to decipher it. I have no idea how common it is in other English speaking countries.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives? What about in other languages?

The only other I know is prick but that does not really indicate what I was referring to and they were not using it in the days that we speak to here.

Regards
DL

Isn't 'taking' active while 'getting' is passive?
'Taking' describes one actively acquiring something with or without consent, while 'getting' describes one passively acquiring something because someone else has decided to give it to you.
That's my take on it anyway..

If one gives another a small piece of paper they hold out their hand with the paper. The other person holds out their hand to take the paper.

You see one as active and one as passive? Thats interesting...more complicated than it needs to be and not true but hey at least you got to use the old "active\passive" standby.

You see one as active and one as passive? Thats interesting...more complicated than it needs to be and not true but hey at least you got to use the old "active\passive" standby.
John, have you ever tried just saying "Oh. Thanks."?

Just curious... :shrug:

Taking something is not the same as getting something, is it?

I don't believe in getting.

Accepting a gift ("getting") is still an active choice, and as such, comes with responsibilities for reciprocation.

What's a DL giver? I've always heard and know what an Indian giver but I never heard the term DL giver.

What's a DL giver? I've always heard and know what an Indian giver but I never heard the term DL giver.
here is a picture of an Indian giving (in this case offering puja).

I think this is what Greatest I Am is referring to.

puja2.jpg

God can do what he want's lol it's not like any of you can stop him. He also said if any of you want to fight him he will give you all the weapons you want on the day of judgement and you can come have a go if you think your hard enough.

I suggest you be a good boy and put the sword down before you get hurt.

peace.

Back