A Paradox of Omniscience and Free Will

C7,

Of course, how else would the electrons move around them.
Atoms are atoms they are not supernatural. Umm – and electrons form part of an atom.

All this power, the magnetic energy, comes from God, from the self, from unity.
It’s primarily the weak and strong nuclear forces that operate within an atom. Now I guess you could call the unified field concept, God, but then that would be confusing when we could be less controversial and call it the unified field.

Planets move around the sun because it's a manifestation, a copy, of God.
No, that’s where gravity comes into play. Nothing supernatural there again.

The sun is a part of another greater system, a galaxy, so it's clear that it's only a copy of God,
Gibberish.

just like all of us are.
More gibberish.

God is omnipresent.
If so then God does not exist, since if it is everything then we can simply refer to everything as everything and skip the redundant term of calling it God.

You know the Zodiac. It is a symbolic model of God.
Well no – it is an imaginary band in the heavens centered on the ecliptic that encompasses the apparent paths of all the planets except Pluto and is divided into 12 constellations or signs each taken for astrological purposes to extend 30 degrees of longitude.

There is only one God and it is the self of all things.
Or has been explained already this equates to its nonexistence.

Medicine Woman said:
Further more, I can see right through people who try to be something they're not. Like you, for instance.

I also see that you're trying to be something that you're not. Anyone can, if they're not lying to themselves. It's not just ugly, it smells bad too. A lion would see it instantly.

Either you can't accept that you're not being yourself or that you simply don't realize that you're wearing a mask. You've lived long, it's easy to lose yourself in this world.

You have too much 'hatred' towards Christianity, it blinds you. Though it's understandable the way you experienced it. But there is truth in Christianity also, for some people. I've never really understood it, and people have misunderstood and distorted the teaching.

Indeed, I do realize that I'm wearing a mask, and I have a lot of them. Will you too... become a masks salesman?

Cris said:
It’s primarily the weak and strong nuclear forces that operate within an atom.

You can call them what you want, but it's still just the same energy: magnetism.

No, that’s where gravity comes into play. Nothing supernatural there again.

Yes, but why does matter have 'gravity'?

You're so funny.

Last edited:
C7,

You can call them what you want, but it's still just the same energy: magnetism.
No not really. Magnetism is a force. Strictly speaking there are four primary forces, electro-magnetic, weak nuclear, strong nuclear, and gravity. Much of current theoretical physics examines how these various forces combine together with the ultimate force being the unified field where all four combine together.

I don’t really know what you are talking about.

Yes, but why does matter have 'gravity'?
Why should there be a reason beyond an understanding that gravity is a basic force within the universe.?

You're so funny.
You are calling me funny? Have you ever read your own posts? LOL.

Cris said:
No not really. Magnetism is a force. Strictly speaking there are four primary forces, electro-magnetic, weak nuclear, strong nuclear, and gravity.

That's what you've read. These four kinds of energy are the consequence of only one energy: magnetic energy, i.e., MIND. Depending upon the circumstances, this one energy produces such and such a behavior, to which physicists give special names.

Much of current theoretical physics examines how these various forces combine together with the ultimate force being the unified field where all four combine together.

That was already solved thousands of years ago.

Why should there be a reason beyond an understanding that gravity is a basic force within the universe.?

Since there are only one kind of particles; two pole ones, the earth is also just a great magnet. Because of its magnetism, it rotates and this rotation generates gravity. Then, of course, there's also a cause to magnetism. Every visible effect must have a cause, otherwise it would be illogical for it to exist. Physicists can't grasp what is immaterial so they will always remain in ignorance to the cause.

There is no indivisible particle. Theoretically everything can always be divided further, all the way to infinity, to nothingness, so the universe is made of something immaterial (mind)

C7,

Physicists can't grasp what is immaterial so they will always remain in ignorance to the cause.
It's not that they can't grasp the concept but that there is nothing to indicate that the immaterial exists that will allow them to examine it. And you don't have anything either.

I recommend you take at least a basic class in science since you don't appear to know what you are talking about.

It does look like your mystical gibberish stems from your laziness to study physics.

Cris said:
I recommend you take at least a basic class in science since you don't appear to know what you are talking about.

Physicists are wrong about so many things.

It does look like your mystical gibberish stems from your laziness to study physics.

Maybe the mystical gibberish is correct.

c7 - It seems to me as if you make up everything as you go along. So random... At least theists get their misguidance from somewhere.

c7,

Physicists are wrong about so many things.
But they are also right about many things as well. Can you show you are right about anything in a way that would demonstrate a better track record than established physics?

Maybe the mystical gibberish is correct.
No, gibberish is gibberish.

KennyJC said:
c7 - It seems to me as if you make up everything as you go along. So random... At least theists get their misguidance from somewhere.

Yeah, I often make up things as I go along. How else would I do?

Cris said:
But they are also right about many things as well.

I know.

Can you show you are right about anything in a way that would demonstrate a better track record than established physics?

What do physicists think is the explanation for the heat of stars?

No, gibberish is gibberish.

Until you understand it. Sherlock holmes said that when you've eliminated all the logical possibilities the [seemingly] "illogical" becomes reality.

Cris said:
Jenyar,

No not really, you are having a problem perceiving a cause and effect sequence. Any alleged changes in condition is simply another event that would be known beforehand by an omniscient being at the beginning of time. The only way your half understood idea works is if we wait until the choice is made – and that’s fine but then omniscience wouldn’t exist and we would have free will.
But you seem to see it all serially. What we do when we "avert" a foreseen event, is choose among a few simultaneously available "causes". We don't change the future, we just take a different direction, knock over a different domino. God, seeing all causes and all effects, does not determine us to take any one of them - even if they are, as you insist, determined themselves.

We're in a constant interaction with every accessible trigger - whether it's determined or not - and this interaction is what we commonly call "free will". God's omniscience changes nothing for us. "Omniscience" is, after all, just a human perspective of God; whether He knows "more" or "less" according to some philosophical perspectives makes Him no less God, and us no less human.

We do? That isn’t omniscience that is inductive reasoning which is quite natural. But can you apply that to an event 1 million years in the future.
If I were omniscient.

Last edited:
Jenyar,

But you seem to see it all serially.
People exist within a chronological sequence. Unless you can time travel then you have no choice.

What we do when we "avert" a foreseen event, is choose among a few simultaneously available "causes". We don't change the future, we just take a different direction, knock over a different domino.
You are merely describing localized scenarios where you have enough information to make informed choices. This is irrelevant to the argument.

God, seeing all causes and all effects, does not determine us to take any one of them - even if they are, as you insist, determined themselves.
But omniscience isn’t about knowing all possibilities it is about knowing which possibility actually occurs. Simply knowing all possibilities is no better than saying you don’t which one will occur.

So the issue remains – if he knows with certainty what will occur long before you’ve even considered the issue or before you even existed, then your ultimate action will have been predetermined.

We're in a constant interaction with every accessible trigger - whether it's determined or not - and this interaction is what we commonly call "free will".
OK close enough.

God's omniscience changes nothing for us.
But it does. Your perceived free actions now become a pre-programmed sequence because that sequence is known perfectly long beforehand and at the moment of the alleged creation.

"Omniscience" is, after all, just a human perspective of God;
It is defined as all-knowing, i.e. all, past, present and future events. If it is true then it has logical repercussions such as the paradox we are discussing.

whether He knows "more" or "less" according to some philosophical perspectives
It is not merely a philosophical perspective but religious doctrine. It is either true or it isn’t.

makes Him no less God, and us no less human.
And that is where you are so wrong, and is the key point. It very much does make him less of a god if he is not omniscient. And if he is omniscient then we are no better than pre-programmed automatons.

If you want to insist that your god is omniscient and not a monster and we have free will then he simply can’t exist.

Cris said:
People exist within a chronological sequence. Unless you can time travel then you have no choice.
It may be true that we can only live serially, but we're perfectly capable of parallel thinking. I said you seem to imagine everything serially, as we would experience it; by that I don't mean we can live otherwise, only that God's perspective wouldn't be so limited, and that's what we're trying to imagine.

You are merely describing localized scenarios where you have enough information to make informed choices. This is irrelevant to the argument.
It's relevant because our perspective, limited though it is, can give us insight into what it would be like to see many such localized scenarios simultaneously. The best we can manage is to extend these localized scenarios into general scenarios, and without all the data we're bound to leave some gaps and come to unwarranted conclusions.

But omniscience isn’t about knowing all possibilities it is about knowing which possibility actually occurs. Simply knowing all possibilities is no better than saying you don’t [know] which one will occur.
And knowing which ones will occur doesn't change the time or circumstances of their occurence - what we call "the present". Where for God the present is the most unified (and omniscience implies everything is unified), for us it is the most diverse, where we have the most "freedom".

It's like drawing many strings through the eye of a needle: the passage of the strings through the needle is what we experience as time, their convergence is what is actualized (what actually occurs in our experience), and the various strings is what we might call possibiities or alternatives. That God sees all the alternatives and individual threads, as well is where they converge in one particular individual's life, doesn't change the fact that there are many strings among which we can choose before they actually pass through the needle - before they become what God has observed and we will experience.

So the issue remains – if he knows with certainty what will occur long before you’ve even considered the issue or before you even existed, then your ultimate action will have been predetermined.
As far as it is foreknown. It can't have been predetermined by God any more than our present feels determined for us. God observes all of time like we observe a moment. It is still left for us to choose and experience what God has observed, and that's what makes us responsible beings.

My premise is that we exist for God to observe - not that God is essentially observing Himself, and we're somehow an objective third party.

But it does. Your perceived free actions now become a pre-programmed sequence because that sequence is known perfectly long beforehand and at the moment of the alleged creation.
You still equate knowledge with programming. You assume it's logical to collapse the two definitions, but I insist they must remain separate. They denote separate concepts. The premise that God has anything to observe implies that there is an free agent outside of His will. Otherwise "observation" would have no meaning.

It is defined as all-knowing, i.e. all, past, present and future events. If it is true then it has logical repercussions such as the paradox we are discussing.
But a paradox is not yet a contradiction, and a contradiction could only exist if you insist on the assumptions you make. It would be resolved if you revise them, even if the paradox remains.

It is not merely a philosophical perspective but religious doctrine. It is either true or it isn’t.
From a philosophical perspective it might seem like religious doctrine, but from a religious perspective the philosophical perspective lacks crucial information. It is simply a human attempt to cast "knowledge" into an ideal form. The philosophical perspective merely removes time from the equation, while the religious perspective may do the same but cannot contradict revelation (in the same way that scientific perspectives may not contradict observation, regardless of what philosophy predicted).

As a philosopher, you might create a grand definition of omniscience and attach it to an equally philosophical deity. As a believer, the definition of omniscience must conform to a reality. As a philosopher, you might be able to imagine something you deem grander and more impressive than the reality you actually believe in, but as a believer, the reality we believe in is far grander and impressive than any we can observe or imagine.

And that is where you are so wrong, and is the key point. It very much does make him less of a god if he is not omniscient. And if he is omniscient then we are no better than pre-programmed automatons.
Less of a god than what, exactly? The religious understanding of God's omniscience might not particularly impress you, but that doesn't mean God is any less than He could be thought of philosophically.

You might reason that if your imagination is greater than God, He might not be so great, but that's simply an assumption about a figment of your imagination. In the end, what is actual is of far greater significance than what has been imagined.

If you want to insist that your god is omniscient and not a monster and we have free will then he simply can’t exist.
That's a peculiar deduction. Your belief that God is a monster comes from the terrible state of creation, which you assume will continue. That's only logical because you don't believe in God; in what He does and will do in spite of the way things are. Without God, things must be as they seem, and if you want to deduce God from things as they seem, you will end up with a distorted view of God. You will have made God an extention of a broken world. But you won't consider that God didn't create a broken world, that although He could foresee the effects of sin He also knew it would not diminish His justice, mercy and love for us, or our ability to value these things. It's only without faith that God must seem diminished, because only then can the world itself be thought to be a direct reflection of God's attitude towards us.

It's because God is omniscient and not a monster and we have free will that things are the way they are: An abused creation, suffering from godlessness and injustice, but with the unmitigated possibility of restoration and reception of love. That's why we can still perceive the difference between an ideal world and a perversion, why you can believe so strongly in the eminence of moral judgement that you can expect even God to answer to it. Without God as the target for your moral outrage, you would be forced to accept the state of things as morally neutral, a karmic eventuality of cause and effect.

What God has foreseen has not yet been completed - we still have to pass through the eye of the needle - and it would be premature to judge His character by what you now experience and would deduce from it. The Christian God starts and ends in paradise, and inbetween allows us freedom regulated by laws of love, righteousness and grace. He's greater than circumstances - not detemined by them. And because of that, neither are we.

Last edited:
lol, if you think that three dimensions is the end all to end all you've got another thing coming :bugeye:

Cris said:
Lighteagle,

Which would mean there are things that the god does not know which means he would not be omniscienet (all-knowing).

Any way you cut this - if knowledge is present before an event then the event will have been predtermined. Once you remove the claim for omniscience then free will becomes possible.

As I have said many times already the existence of omniscience is mutally exclusive with the existence of free-will. You cannot have both at the same time.

Negatory. Maybe by your own definition and misunderstanding of omniscience they are mutually exclusive. Just because God can see everything from the beginning to the end in an infinite set of possibilities doesn't mean He 'caused' every decision that man has ever made. As an example, according to some postulated probabilities, planet earth is waaaay overdue for a major asteroid hit, the kind that terminates major portions of the lifeforms on this planet (it's happened before you know). How do you know that God has not intervened in just such an episode, possibly multiple times, in the past in order to bring us to where we are at the present time. Get my drift?

Cris said:
water,

Remember theists started the issue by asserting fantasies are real.

Really?! Are you the all-knowing one that judged their assertions to be fantasies?

No wonder you get people so upset with your arguments. That statement is tantamount to name-calling. Not good in a discussion if you want anybody to take you seriously.

Nobody Special said:
Really?! Are you the all-knowing one that judged their assertions to be fantasies?

No wonder you get people so upset with your arguments. That statement is tantamount to name-calling. Not good in a discussion if you want anybody to take you seriously.
and how do you expect, anybody to take the theist seriously, if can produce no objective evidence for his assertions, you can only conclude they must be his own personal fantasies.
after all this is a science forum, dreams, hallucinations, and imaginings, are not a good basis for debate, now are they.

Back