A Final Proof Against Christianity

I'll reply to you in a new thread water since I have been thinking about this and all. Unfortunately I don't have regular internet access so it may take till the weekend. Don't want to ruin the topic here so if you can hold your breath a little longer :D

<b><i>"An argument from faith is simply null and void as we would again come to the question of why the Christian believes the claims of the writers simply because they say so."</i></b>

Hmm... So many possibilities. I would think that faith is more subjective and internal. maybe the bible gives it direction and purpose. Also, I would think that the reader's filtering of the contents of the bible is subjective and personal.

i have to totally disagree w/ you.....that is not the only verse in the Bible about inspiration.....there a a few in the old testament also..... why do you think the new testament was written by people who really weren't friends w/ Jesus?? what proof do you have against that??......also, the 20,000 copies thing...the supposed 'proof' you have against it is complete bull.....you are twisting the fact that there are different versions of the Bible..... some are paraphrased others have an easier text.....its all the same.....saying "I am going to the market" is the same as saying "I am heading out to the food store".......just different wording...... also the Bible has been written over a 2,000 yr period of time and NOTHING contradicts itself.....doesnt that make you think?? it is not for non-christians to live they're life.....it is for Christians to live their life and to help non-christians become Christians..... its pointless for someone to not know Christ to read the Bible cover to cover and not be saved.....yes it is good, dont twist what Im saying, non-believers should read the Bible absolutely to learn of our Heavenly Father and what he did....but what is it worth to have a Bible in your permanent memory w/o Christ in your heart??? sure you lived your life according to the Bible and how God wants you to live....but that won't mean anything when you die and arent accepted to Heaven...... besides you can be a Christian and not believe in the Bible.....its all about your world view.....you can have a Christian world view w/o a Biblical world view....but can have a Biblical world view w/o a Christian world view.....and that doesnt do you anything come afterlife time......in fact Im learning why the Bible is correct and all the proof for it in my Bible class at school.....its very interesting...... maggie

There is no argument more solid than an argument from faith. Faith cannot be questioned. If it is (by its keeper), it's no longer faith.

wesmorris said:
There is no argument more solid than an argument from faith. Faith cannot be questioned. If it is (by its keeper), it's no longer faith.

This is absurd.

If it would be

There is no argument more solid than an argument from BLIND faith. BLIND faith cannot be questioned. If it is (by its keeper), it's no longer BLIND faith.

then I agree.

An important part of faith (and by faith, I do NOT mean BLIND faith) is to not take things for granted, not even the faith itself. Take your faith for granted, and it becomes a blind faith.

An important part of faith (and by faith, I do NOT mean BLIND faith) is to not take things for granted

Good luck justifying that statement without blind faith water.

I believe in you.

water said:
This is absurd.

Oh? Well that really helps us understand one another, thanks.

If it would be

There is no argument more solid than an argument from BLIND faith. BLIND faith cannot be questioned. If it is (by its keeper), it's no longer BLIND faith.

I don't think there are degrees of faith. Anything less than absolute is hope. I say this for the for the following very simple reason:

Once you begin to question your assumptions, you, at the time of the questioning, doubt them. If you doubt them, they are no longer assumptions, but questions. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why that is absurd.

then I agree.

Blind faith is the only kind there is as far as I'm concerned. Once something is elevated to the status of faith, it is unquestionable. If you question it, it immediately loses its status as faith... hence, it's a question. Perhaps you mean something different by the term, but as I see it the term's function is as I stated. If you don't believe something, you don't have faith in it. If you are questioning it, you don't have faith in the answer. I don't see why you would call that absurd, nor why it's a big deal... nor how you can call a question "faith".

An important part of faith (and by faith, I do NOT mean BLIND faith) is to not take things for granted, not even the faith itself.

Oh so now you are the authority? FAITH, IMO... is exactly taking something for granted. It's equivalent to an assumption which as I stated, is not an assumption if you are questioning it. It may become an assumption, but isn't while it's being questioned. How can that be incorrect?

Take your faith for granted, and it becomes a blind faith.

If you truly have faith in something, calling it blind is redundant.

wesmorris said:
Once you begin to question your assumptions, you, at the time of the questioning, doubt them. If you doubt them, they are no longer assumptions, but questions.
Is this where one would state faith = assumption?

Faith is almost exactly analagous to an assumption in my vernacular, yes. Do you disagree? The only difference I really see is the context in which one would use the term.

For instance, questioning my faith that I exist will get you nowhere. I believe it. Questions just bounce right off.

EDIT:

Another thing:

I think therefore I am?

If it's a question, it gets you nowhere. If it's a statement, it's a statement of faith.

Last edited:
wesmorris said:
Faith is almost exactly analagous to an assumption in my vernacular, yes.
I see your reasoning and yes it would seem so... but...
Do you disagree?
For me context is important - especially in this case. I see faith as integral to human nature beyond the realm of reason: I'd rather leave the word "assumption" in the realm of reason.

IMO, you haven't disagreed at all.

Faith (assumption) is the foundation of reason. Without it, reason has no place to start - as I pointed out it water's thread somewhere. How can you believe in reason if you don't believe you exist? You must assume it to proceed. Logically, you cannot prove you exist. Thus, faith is the foundation... the boundary conditions for logic as well as reason.

The main problem I have with theists is that the generalization of one's individual belief in god necessitates the insistence that one must presume god in order to proceed. It simply isn't true. Perhaps you must, but that's your issue. I'd say if you're interested in the idea of god, the very worst thing you could possibly do is presume it exists, or that you know anything about it. If you do, you're presuming "goddidit" and your investigation is inherently biased toward the outcome you favor. That's fine if you're not interested in truth, but at least be honest to yourself that you've given up your pursuit of it in favor of the presumption that your perception of it justifies a belief.

Last edited:
wesmorris said:
Logically, you cannot prove you exist.
Nor can you disprove it; is logic of any use here? No. Existence is in a class by itself... just like God Is.
The main problem I have with theists is that the generalization of one's individual belief in god necessitates the insistence that one must presume god in order to proceed. It simply isn't true.
For some theists God is beyond presumption... just as existence is... God Is... I am... there's nothing else to be said. No "... therefore I am" or "... therefore God Is". Wouldn't you agree that it's pointless? If you do not presume you do exist, what then? Can you? See my point?
CEV - Exodus 3[13] Moses answered, " I will tell the people of Israel that the God their ancestors worshiped has sent me to them. But what should I say, if they ask me your name?"

[14 -15] God said to Moses:

I am the eternal God. So tell them that the LORD, whose name is " I Am," has sent you. This is my name forever, and it is the name that people must use from now on.​
Also, for some objectivity...
NIV - Exodus 3[13] Moses said to God, Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?

[14] God said to Moses, I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'

[15] God also said to Moses, Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers— the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob— has sent me to you.' This is my name for ever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.​

God Is.
I'd say if you're interested in the idea of god, the very worst thing you could possibly do is presume it exists, or that you know anything about it.
Yes, for those who consider God an idea... then... some look at existence (the phenomenon) itself as an idea and question it; what a world of logic and reason can achieve. It is as you outlay above for most ideas; you see evidence, you assume a cause based on that evidence, you test for that cause... etc...
If you do, you're presuming "goddidit" and your investigation is inherently biased toward the outcome you favor.
Not necessarily. I really don't think you presume existence... there's just no alternative (unless you take the insane road and kill yourself)... it's there. You may presume God per se because you see some evidence that you attribute to the existence of God... the evidence may be tested... interestingly some test and conclude that the evidence was not supportive some do and conclude that the same is. But that's life; free will. Assuming "goddidit" adds a lot but detracts from nothing. I may assume "goddidit" but that doesn't prevent me from trying to find out how or why. We have somewhat consistent descriptions of the evolution of the universe; does that put us equal with God? Can we then create our own? Can we reverse this evolution? No.
That's fine if you're not interested in truth, but at least be honest to yourself that you've given up your pursuit of it in favor of the presumption that your perception of it justifies a belief.
Belief in God has not stopped me a picometre in my scientific pursuits... just another aspect of His revelation of Himself to me... I have faith in Him, I trust Him; what I "see" now is what I Am wants me to... it can't be a "bad" thing. 'Presuming' God is not a sign of retirement from the search for truth... it's the first step which inaugurates that search. Without a first Truth... God... the source of all truth... there is no truth. Any non-theist will eventually come to the conclusion that no objective truth exists... only subjective.

Indeed, faith and assumption fall along rather interesting parallels. But let's say - in my view - faith holds existence together (through God): assumptions hold reason together. I can only equate them if I apply reason to the phenomenon of my existence - pointless.

wesmorris said:
Faith (assumption) is the foundation of reason. Without it, reason has no place to start - as I pointed out it water's thread somewhere. How can you believe in reason if you don't believe you exist? You must assume it to proceed. Logically, you cannot prove you exist. Thus, faith is the foundation... the boundary conditions for logic as well as reason.

This is, of course, an estimation made ex post. How do we know we have faith?

The main problem I have with theists is that the generalization of one's individual belief in god necessitates the insistence that one must presume god in order to proceed.

"Presume" is not the right word.
Crucial with gaining any (kind of) knowledge is that our prediction/expectation of something is not the same as our experience of it. That is, thought experiments do not render us a proper knowledge or understanding of something. We need the experience of the said thing, or our knowledge will be just something we memorized.

It simply isn't true. Perhaps you must, but that's your issue. I'd say if you're interested in the idea of god, the very worst thing you could possibly do is presume it exists, or that you know anything about it.

If you do, you're presuming "goddidit" and your investigation is inherently biased toward the outcome you favor.

That's fine if you're not interested in truth, but at least be honest to yourself that you've given up your pursuit of it in favor of the presumption that your perception of it justifies a belief.

EXACTLY.
But what you have said is just the first step.

Namely, the objections you raise ("If you do, you're presuming "goddidit" and your investigation is inherently biased toward the outcome you favor.", "but at least be honest to yourself that you've given up your pursuit of it in favor of the presumption that your perception of it justifies a belief.") are valid if the god we are talking about is a *generic* god of philosophy, an objective philosophical construct, an "*any* god".

But if we speak about a *certain* god, say the Christian God, your objections don't apply anymore.
For there, the concept of god is VERY specific, with specific commandments, with a specific set of ethical values and preferences.

Presuming that the Christian God did it is NOT THE SAME as "goddidit" -- and one's investigation is not inherently biased toward the outcome one favors.

I can indeed say, "Oh, look, Christianity is all lovey-dovey, I'm gonna get a reward in heaven if I obey the rules. I want that reward, so I will be Christian." And indeed, not so few people are like that.

But, if we are to be true to a certain religion, we cannot simply take what we like, and reject what we don't like -- and still call ourselves adhering to that religion. One can't call oneself a Christian, but keep to only some directions, while openly rejecting some others.

What about all those verses that say to not take pride in our faith, to not talk about it lightly? What about all those verses that speak about the connection between works and faith? Considering them, one can't keep the position of "Oh, look, Christianity is all lovey-dovey, I'm gonna get a reward in heaven if I obey the rules. I want that reward, so I will be Christian."

What is more, for example, in Christianity, it is not yet known to people who in particular will be saved and who won't. An individual does not know the outcome of judgement yet. So acting as if one knew that one will surely be saved is an act of inconsistency.

One's investigation may be inherently biased toward the outcome one favors -- but with a *specific* religion, it is exactly this bias that is specifically addressed.

While in some generic religion, this bias remains unaddressed, as some generic religion does not have a specific set of values and preferences from the perspective of which ethical judgements could be made.

There are important differences between a generic religion, a generic God, and a specific religion, a specific God.

It is beyond a generic god to love, for example, but the Christian God loves.

Crucial with gaining any (kind of) knowledge is that our prediction/expectation of something is not the same as our experience of it. That is, thought experiments do not render us a proper knowledge or understanding of something. We need the experience of the said thing, or our knowledge will be just something we memorized.

Who has experienced God?

water said:
This is, of course, an estimation made ex post. How do we know we have faith?

Stop.

Think about it.

Not about the words I used, but the relationships... the model I describe. Can you see the answer without my having to provide one?

That answer is because we don't apply skepticism. We presume our knowledge. The concept of observational distance tells us we cannot really know anything. It's true. However we must to survive. Thusly, we presume. Many presumptions are apparently highly effective in maintaining survival. Failure to recognize them as such doesn't negatively impact our chances for survival as long as our presumptions don't directly contradict the physicality of our existence.

I think it is, as long as you're indifferent about it.

While in some cases that's true, I don't think it necessarily so... as the lines between fantasy and reality are quite blurry - especially in the case of religious thought. Someone might claim "I experienced god" or "jesus spoke to me" or "I went to saturn in an out of body experience". Did they? Is that "something they memorized"?

EXACTLY.
But what you have said is just the first step.

Namely, the objections you raise ("If you do, you're presuming "goddidit" and your investigation is inherently biased toward the outcome you favor.", "but at least be honest to yourself that you've given up your pursuit of it in favor of the presumption that your perception of it justifies a belief.") are valid if the god we are talking about is a *generic* god of philosophy, an objective philosophical construct, an "*any* god".

I have difficulty understanding the importance of the difference between "any god" and "your god". Since one can only utilize the "objective philosophical construct" of god in a subjective manner, they seem equivalent to me.

But if we speak about a *certain* god, say the Christian God, your objections don't apply anymore.
For there, the concept of god is VERY specific, with specific commandments, with a specific set of ethical values and preferences.

I don't see how that makes any difference. Specific, non-specific, it's all the same pile of fantasy that people use to get through their day. Making it specific simply makes in a stronger lie if you fail to acknowledge it as presumption.

Presuming that the Christian God did it is NOT THE SAME as "goddidit" -- and one's investigation is not inherently biased toward the outcome one favors.

I completely disagree as stated. Maybe you can clarify if I've misunderstood something. Any god is the same as 'godidit' as far as I can see.

I can indeed say, "Oh, look, Christianity is all lovey-dovey, I'm gonna get a reward in heaven if I obey the rules. I want that reward, so I will be Christian." And indeed, not so few people are like that.

True.

But, if we are to be true to a certain religion, we cannot simply take what we like, and reject what we don't like -- and still call ourselves adhering to that religion.

I still don't see how that makes any difference.

One can't call oneself a Christian, but keep to only some directions, while openly rejecting some others.

One has still presumed Christianity is objectively true, or they're not very christian. As such, my prior argument is exactly applicable.

What about all those verses that say to not take pride in our faith, to not talk about it lightly? What about all those verses that speak about the connection between works and faith? Considering them, one can't keep the position of "Oh, look, Christianity is all lovey-dovey, I'm gonna get a reward in heaven if I obey the rules. I want that reward, so I will be Christian."

What about them?

What is more, for example, in Christianity, it is not yet known to people who in particular will be saved and who won't. An individual does not know the outcome of judgement yet. So acting as if one knew that one will surely be saved is an act of inconsistency.

They have still presumed that there is something to be saved from.

One's investigation may be inherently biased toward the outcome one favors -- but with a *specific* religion, it is exactly this bias that is specifically addressed.

How? It is bias itself. It does not address bias, it is bias. To be perfectly religion x, one must inherently believe one's presumption.

While in some generic religion, this bias remains unaddressed, as some generic religion does not have a specific set of values and preferences from the perspective of which ethical judgements could be made.

But as I'm repeating... this specific instance of religious thought must be presumed necessary and accurate in order to proceed. Not being saved, you may want that for whatever reason, but that the rules laid out by whomever are relevant, real, objective or whatever. One must steep themselves in a HUGE pile of presumption to "be a good christian". Look at marc. He has to parrot crap from the bible to make a case for his beliefs. If he didn't or couldn't, could he be a good christian? Bah, I'm rambling now.

There are important differences between a generic religion, a generic God, and a specific religion, a specific God.

I still don't see them. Maybe I just don't see your point.

It is beyond a generic god to love, for example, but the Christian God loves.

So what? You can presume this or that whatever you want. If you fail to recognized it as presumption, you're a liar.

Stop.

Think about it.

Not about the words I used, but the relationships... the model I describe. Can you see the answer without my having to provide one?

That answer is because we don't apply skepticism. We presume our knowledge. The concept of observational distance tells us we cannot really know anything. It's true. However we must to survive. Thusly, we presume. Many presumptions are apparently highly effective in maintaining survival. Failure to recognize them as such doesn't negatively impact our chances for survival as long as our presumptions don't directly contradict the physicality of our existence.

I think it is, as long as you're indifferent about it.

wesmorris, you sir, are a profound intellectual. Absolute genius.

..and it takes one to know one.

§outh§tar said:
wesmorris, you sir, are a profound intellectual. Absolute genius.

..and it takes one to know one.

Hmm....

tiassa said:
Face it, Wes. You're just not smart.

Do you think that takes one to know one too?

From "not smart" to "profound intellectual" in less than a week!

Thank you very much for your kind words. I've never been good with recieving compliments, so I don't know what else to say.

Quote SouthStar
"The first in a series of evidences used by Christians to uphold this belief is that the Bible “claims to be from God” and usually entails this Scripture:
(2 Tim. 3:16).
Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness.”

We must first ask, does “every scripture” refer to the Bible? A quick reference to the New Testament reveals that neither the canon of the Catholic nor the Protestant Church was being referred to by the writer of 2 Timothy but rather the Jewish scriptures available to him. In doing so, we may now sweep aside this “defense” as utterly useless.

DL
That argument doesn't make sense (imho). Timothy said "Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness.” OK, so why should every scripture refer to the Bible? Is it because the 'Bible claims to be from God'? It refers to the scriptures that make up the Bible are inspired of God...The Bible was not written as one book, and Timothy never said 'every Bible inspired of God'.

2 Tim. 15 says 'And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus'. Surely if he was only referring to Jewish texts, there would be no mention of salvation through Jesus Christ as the Jews don't believe that?

SS
The next proof employed by Christians is the sheer amount of New Testament manuscripts available today. Says Josh McDowell in his book More than A Carpenter, “over 20,000 copies of New Testament manuscripts are in existence today. The Iliad has 643 MSS and is second in manuscript authority after the New Testament (48).” The assumption by these apologists is clear: the more manuscripts a text has, the more its “authenticity and general integrity” is established. Without critical review, we may at once dismiss this claim too as invalid for the amount of manuscripts is simply not proportional to the integrity and accuracy of the document.

DL
The reference to the amount of NT manuscripts is not to say 'Look how many we have, it must be right' but 'We have many copies of both OT and NT, dating back to within years of Jesus Christs' death (in the case of OT prior to JC). There are only scribal or copyist errors found in all these different copies (remember there were no printing presses in those days, it was all done by hand) There were no major differences in theology or history within.

SS
The third proof we shall examine is the claim that prophecies and miracles described within the Bible prove its validity. Using unproven miracles and vague, metaphorical prophecies to prove the Bible is monstrously circular and dishonest.

DL
Saying 'Using unproven miracles and vague, metaphorical prophecies' without reference to what they are is also 'monstrously circular and dishonest'. It is also a very lazy argument.

Dragon_Lady said:
DL
That argument doesn't make sense (imho). Timothy said "Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness.” OK, so why should every scripture refer to the Bible? Is it because the 'Bible claims to be from God'? It refers to the scriptures that make up the Bible are inspired of God...The Bible was not written as one book, and Timothy never said 'every Bible inspired of God'.

I would be grateful if you provided contextual evidence for this eisegesis.

2 Tim. 15 says 'And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus'. Surely if he was only referring to Jewish texts, there would be no mention of salvation through Jesus Christ as the Jews don't believe that?

What would the chapter be?

DL
The reference to the amount of NT manuscripts is not to say 'Look how many we have, it must be right' but 'We have many copies of both OT and NT, dating back to within years of Jesus Christs' death (in the case of OT prior to JC). There are only scribal or copyist errors found in all these different copies (remember there were no printing presses in those days, it was all done by hand) There were no major differences in theology or history within.

Then you agree that there Bible contains mistakes. As to what you arbitrarily label "major differences in theology or history", assume what you please.

Saying 'Using unproven miracles and vague, metaphorical prophecies' without reference to what they are is also 'monstrously circular and dishonest'. It is also a very lazy argument.

Pick and choose then.

Last edited:
Back