A daughter of a Jewish mother and Muslim father

What is the identity of this woman?

• Total voters
its whatever she defines herself as, identity is personal, its about who we identify ourselves with. this is another fight i had with mum, she called me a south australian and i retorted that i wasnt, i was a victorian. she said i wasnt because i had been living in SA for 5 years, i said thats crap because if i moved to the US for 5 years i would still be australian.

time, parents might HELP us establish an identity but in the end its about how you see yourself

well she cannot be a jew, thats for sure. She is either a muslim of jewish blood or just a person. =p

its whatever she defines herself as, identity is personal, its about who we identify ourselves with. this is another fight i had with mum, she called me a south australian and i retorted that i wasnt, i was a victorian. she said i wasnt because i had been living in SA for 5 years, i said thats crap because if i moved to the US for 5 years i would still be australian.

time, parents might HELP us establish an identity but in the end its about how you see yourself

this is a little different or more straight forward. physically you are what your ancestors are.

...who practises Islam. Is this woman a Jew? Or a Muslim?

She would be considered Muslim by Islam and Jewish by Orthodox and Conservative Jews (and by the State of Israel).*

While Christianity does not define the religion of the child by the ancestry of one of the parents, it is our present understanding that in Islam the religion of the child is determined by the religion of the father, if the family follows Sharia, the Islamic religious law.

This means that children of a Muslim father and a Jewish mother are considered Muslim by Islam, and Jewish by Orthodox and Conservative Judaism and the Israeli state.

* http://www.half-jewish.net/israel.html

this is a little different or more straight forward. physically you are what your ancestors are.

how does religion have anything to do with "physically"? belife or lack of belife is CULTURAL not pysical.

in that case what is the physical differenves between a victorian and a south australian. and on the country level you never herd of citizanship?

So she falls under Halacha laws? If she marries a Muslim man, her children will be Jewish?

So she falls under Halacha laws? If she marries a Muslim man, her children will be Jewish?

I think they would be the same as her. If a Jewish woman married a Catholic she would have to go through this while rig-a-ma-role of converting and giving up her previous faith. Is that how it is with the Islamic faith?

Depends, most intermarriage couples I know have not converted. Our churches and qadis will go along with it.

Back