15 years of large scale biotech

Skeptical

Registered Senior Member
Recent report. It is now more than 15 years that GM crops have been planted commercially.
http://www.isaaa.org/resources/publications/briefs/42/executivesummary/default.asp

The development of this technology onto the farm has proceeded at an enormous rate, in spite of the opposition of various nutter groups. Every year, the total acreage increases and the total number of GM crop varieties and the total number of countries using the technology grows.

Total acreage now exceed one billion hectares. The report says : "A record 87-fold increase in hectarage between 1996 and 2010, making biotech crops the fastest adopted crop technology in the history of modern agriculture"

29 different countries adopted GM crops, of which 19 are developing nations, passing the benefits to poor farmers.

Strikes me that the anti-GM nut cases who claim no benefit from this technology are standing on very thin ice. This level of growth does not come from gullible idiotic farmers. The growth is based on very real benefits.

My advice is to tone down the rhetoric (both as friendly advice but also as B&G moderator). ;)

There are legitimate concerns regarding GM crops. You can have concerns about GM crop implementation without being a nutcase. Nearly all those concerns are economic, legal and political. There are few scientific concerns. You can always distinguish the barrow-pushing scaremongers when they try to pick on the science. :rolleyes:

skeptical said:
This level of growth does not come from gullible idiotic farmers.
Of course not. It comes from enormous profit potential to the corporate interests driving it and imposing it.
hercules said:
There are few scientific concerns.
Please.

Find me an independent ecologist, biologist, or even agronomist, who has no serious "scientific concerns" with this stuff.

Not that I mean to downplay the economic, political, and legal concerns - which are capable of killing more people with higher probability than the scientific ones, I grant you.

These corporations are chimps earning bananas by playing with dynamite, as far as their level of knowledge and comprehensive understanding of the situation goes.

To Hercules

I understand your point. However, I get immensely frustrated by those people who ignore the data to present views based on superstition. I believe in many cases that the word 'nutter' is actually very apt.

The point in my first post is related to the sheer value of the technology. There are so many anti-GM enthusiasts who continue to argue that there is no value to GM technologies except the cash acquisition by biotech companies. Nothing could be further from the truth, since literally millions of farmers have adopted the tech. They did this for real benefits to themselves, and not out of some warped charitable sense of duty to make Monsanto wealthy.

[quote-skeptical] literally millions of farmers have adopted the tech. They did this for real benefits to themselves, and not out of some warped charitable sense of duty to make Monsanto wealthy. [/quote] No one is claiming the farmers now subject to Monsanto's monopoly control of their livelihood put themselves in that position out of a sense of duty to Monsanto.

Or that the undertaking of the risks now borne by us all were motivated in that manner.

In that case, iceaura, why can you not admit to the totally obvious fact that GM crops deliver to all those millions of farmers real and tangible benefits - to them as well as making money for Monsanto?

The so-called "risks borne by us all" have been there for more than 15 years and have not materialised. Literally hundreds of millions of people over 15 plus years have been eating GM foods, and not one single case of harm due to the fact that their food is GM has ever been demonstrated, in spite of all the efforts of the anti-GM movement. It is equally hard to find any significant harm to the natural environment due to the fact that crops are genetically modified, unless you have a very flexible definition of "harm".

How long does this situation have to continue before the anti-GM mob actually admit that it is not causing some kind of disaster?

Find me an independent ecologist, biologist, or even agronomist, who has no serious "scientific concerns" with this stuff.

That’s a ridiculous see-through strawman, which I suspect you know. I would name a few if I didn’t know that you are perfectly capable of finding them yourself. For starters you could pick up any relevant peer-reviewed journal, contact the authors of relevant papers and ask them if they have “serious scientific concerns”. Get the opinions from the scientists at the coal face. But you wouldn’t do that because you already know what they’ll say.

This is a factsheet that lists concerns with GM crops:

http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/transgenic.html

-GM crops are currently being used as a 'one-shot' approach to pest management, which is likely to lead to pest adaptation:

Reliance on a single approach to pest management will fail because pests successfully evolve and thrive in response to single approaches...Already, resistance problems are being reported with herbicide-tolerant crops.

I note that the GM crops are being used to keep on with "business as usual"...and we need to practice other ways of increasing crop yield: companion planting, crop rotation methods, green manure crops, adding more biologic soil amendments and using a lot less chemical fertilizer...

-Apparently, much of the savings to farmers (little to no spraying) is offset by increase in seed cost.

-Skeptical, please note this one, as you've rejected it out-of-hand before:

Unintended crop attributes. ‘Pleiotropic effects’ may occur when new genes are inserted into plants to give the plants desirable new traits (i.e. more than one change may occur in a plant as a result of the new gene).
Or gene segment...

-Transfer of modified genes to wild stock grasses and weeds: here comes roundup-ready ragweed? :facepalm:...
not only that, but according to the following article, the crops themselves are speculated to possibly become the pest species:

http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/id.728,y.2001,no.2,content.true,page.3,css.print/issue.aspx

..And before you discount that idea, remember kudzu's a crop in Japan-really, every part is edible by humans; the leaves, vines, and beans, the root produces a starch that's good for diabetics and tasty,the plant's a nitrogen fixer...and my wife will NOT let me plant it in the yard:grumble:
(Seeing a big green mound instead of my Mom's old trailer-house would be an improvement, really it would. Cut air conditioning usage, too.)

-Contamination of organic farms-a big deal to organic farmers, they can lose certification for a whole crop this way.

- Beneficial soil organisms-particularly with the BT-producing plants-may be killed off, reducing overall soil fertility. Some of these seem to be the things that make inorganic soil nitrogen usable by the plants...

-Apparently a diet of transgenic potatoes has shown to affect not the aphids, but reduce the fertility and viability of ladybugs that eat them. Ladybugs are an important predator species.

-Surprise food allergens in what ought to be a safe food. While food allergies are rare, they may produce anaphylaxis, so we're not just talking a runny nose here.

-Something this article doesn't talk about, but I remember hearing about: potentially deadly effects on pollinators:species of butterflies, bees, etc may get poisoned and therefore not be able to pollinate other plants..I don't believe corn needs pollination to produce...but it's noted in gardening circles now that you must go out and manually fertilize your cucurbits in order to even get a crop...ciggie afterward optional.

Bees can forage in up to a five-mile radius:

http://bbe-tech.com/bees/mediawiki/...r#How_far_will_honey_bees_travel_to_forage.3F

So accidentally poisoning the bees in an area, reducing their number, can effect crop production in a five-mile radius...Now, we still haven't nailed down what causes colony collapse disorder...but there's a definite problem with bees going on and nobody's sure why yet.
I'm not saying that Bt corn isone of the causes, but, well, we really don't know what is the cause...

(My suspicion is it won't be one cause, but a massed series of threats: pesticide exposure, pollutants, bee mites, corn pollen with Bt in it, and the stress that commercial hives experience because they get shipped around. I suspect all the above add up to cause the bees to just...weaken and die while out foraging)

chimpkin

You have been reading the wrong literature.
too much garbage in your post to address it all, but bear in mind that you need to be specific, and post references.

For example ; You quote pleiotropic effects and fail to duocument any.

You quote a reference to risk to monarch butterflies but fail to mention the very extensive field work that shows the risk does not actually exist.

You suggest Bt will reduce soil fertility but fail to mention that Bt affects insects rather than the soil animals that make up most of the soil biota.

Contamination of organic farms????
As if I could give a damn. Organic agriculture is not based on science. It is based on pseudo-religious dogma. People buy organic food purely from superstition. If they actually used rational logic, I might be interested .....

Did you follow the links? Or just blast away without examining my data?

The one link is from a college site, the other is Scientific American.

I did not mention the Monarchs. The Monarch caterpillar issue is a nonstarter; the endangerment of these butterflies is much more due to the elimination of milkweed by industrious types whacking it down.

You suggest Bt will reduce soil fertility but fail to mention that Bt affects insects rather than the soil animals that make up most of the soil biota.

No, that's exactly what the first linked article talked about-but we have a rule about plagiarism around here, so I expected you to go read the article, not just blindly deny what I said without reading where I was getting it from...
The first linked article mentioned nematode worms and molds that render inorganic nitrogen usable by plants; the Bt put out by the roots of the transgenic corn seem to be bad for them, reduces their numbers.

The organic farmers do care because they lose a lot of money over contamination.

Moreover; organic no-till farms in this longitudinal study:

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/files/Rodale_Research_Paper-07_30_08.pdf

Increased the carbon in their soils by almost thirty percent,While matching the productivity of conventional farms in regular years and beating them in drought years!
Also use less fuel because-well, you aren't starting up the tractor...
If the productivity of organic farming can be made to meet or beat that of conventional farming-as this longitudinal study suggests...

I have to get ready to leave work now, and I have planting beds to build this weekend, I won't likely be back 'till Monday.

Keep in mind I put people on ignore permanently for personal attacks-I don't allow textual abuse.

Keep it civil and about the ideas.

chimpkin

Yes, I looked at the links. Incidentally, one was Americanscientist - not Scientific American, which is a totally different publication. The point being that you are not so accurate yourself.

You did not mention the monarchs, but one of your links did, which indicates that the link was focused on dogma, rather than science.

The study you quoted comparing organic and conventional agriculture was extremely biased in its own way. It compared a system of agriculture that took carbon sources (compost) from one field and transferred it to another field and compared it to a field that used conventional fertiliser and no carbon addition. The result was more carbon in the former soil. Hey, big surprise!

This kind of agriculture impoverishes one soil -from which the carbon is taken - and enriches another. The bias comes from the fact that results are measured only in the soil to which the carbon is added. The nutrient removal from the other fields are not part of the study. This nutrient removal from one field changes the equation totally. Overall such systems are about 40% less productive than conventional agriculture, if you are honest enough to measure the productivity from the field that is impoverished.

The best system of agriculture is not "organic" which is a pseudoreligious dogma, or "conventional". The best agriculture is simply that which uses the best techniques, regardless of what you call them. For example : "conventional" no till agriculture uses biodegradable herbicide to kill weeds, which are left in place as mulch. The mulch then builds up carbon in that soil without mining nutrients from elsewhere.

"Organic" no till uses mechanical weed removal, which is better than tilling. But it generates a lot more greenhouse gases from excessive use of farm machinery.

"organic" agriculture uses pesticides, including some that are very harmful, like copper sulfate, on the grounds that they are 'natural'. Conventional agriculture has access to alternative pesticides that are way less harmful, and more effective - but these will not be used by "organic" farmers, because they are not 'natural'. Superstition ruling over good sense.

The ridiculous distinction between "organic" and "conventional" farming is one of the things that is holding back agricultural efficiency everywhere. The "organic" lobby makes itself less credible by adherance to unscientific claims, including the anti-GM claim. The "conventional" lobby could with advantage make use of many "organic" techniques - but does not do so because the "organic" lobby discredits those techniques by following superstitious approaches.

An integrated approach is best, but is being adopted more slowly than it should, due to the "organic" movement refusing to shuck off its superstitions.

Monsanto SHAME on you! Say NO to GM crops! How you feel about GM crops correlates with weather or not their helping you or not.Everyday people don't understand the seed and only can understand the result of that seed.

http://tinyurl.com/492rhct

X-man

Monsanto is just a corporation. It has the same vices and non vices as any other corporation. It will use any legal means to protect itself that the law will permit. So what? It is what every other corporation does.

That says absolutely nothing about the GM crops and foods themselves. Hey guy. This is a science forum. It is supposed to be about science. Science is not about "hate the nasty corporate". Science is about empirical evidence. Going by the data.

The data is simple. GM crops have been grown large scale for nearly 16 years. GM foods have been eaten by hundreds of millions for almost as long. The data shows no environmental harm, unless you twist the meaning of the word 'harm', and no person harmed by the fact that their food is GM.

All I ask is that you go by the proper data. Not by something some non scientific lobby group dreams up.

Yes, I looked at the links. Incidentally, one was Americanscientist - not Scientific American, which is a totally different publication. The point being that you are not so accurate yourself.

Oops, sleep deprivation strikes again. My bad. I hate evening shift.

The "conventional" lobby could with advantage make use of many "organic" techniques - but does not do so because the "organic" lobby discredits those techniques by following superstitious approaches.

I think you're right in that they could use those techniques, and they would get far more mileage out of conventional pesticides and the GM crops if they did so.

I doubt it's because the organic movement makes them look flaky, though...it may be a combination of factors, tied into what's profitable...but it's the food system. It's got issues.

I think the farmers do it because a lot of the nonchemically-based management practices...companion planting, crop rotation systems, fallowing, green manure-are not conducive to short-term profitability.

I'm given to understand this is how it works:

Most commercial farmers spend their lives in a debt cycle-they go into debt to buy the chemical products they need to fertilize and protect the commercial crop, seeds for said crop, equipment to till the commercial crop.

One bad year can mean the bank ends up with their farm, so they are highly loathe to try anything different than the same old grind of till, buy seed, plant seed, spray, harvest, pay back the bank. Profit margins are low. The buyer is a giant food cartel that isn't going to pay much, because they're a monopoly buyer.

So the farmer/landowner's sort of ground between the bank and the agribusiness, unless they are the agribusiness. And the agribusinesses themselves are ONLY worried about the quarterlies, as it's this that determines the fate of executives. They don't care about sustainability, fertility of the corporate land assets, or long-term human survival; their eyes are on the next 3 months.

And there's logistics...By logistics, I'm going to be making a lot of suppositions here...but based on what I know of supply chains and the farming industry:

SO, Let's take one aspect here...companion planting means you aren't going to have just one big crop on your land...but a bunch of little crops. I'll go with the most traditional companion planting: Corn, beans, squash. Well-known to do better together than separately.

With that you have three separate harvests, three separate times you have to track down workers. This is already a problem with the crackdown on illegals-there's more incidences of crops being left to rot in the fields b/c the farmers can't get pickers.

Intercropping can be done in small patches, but usually means hand harvest....MUCH more labor-intensive.

Corn harvesting if it's a uniform cornfield? one person can drive a mechanical corn harvester down the rows. MUCH less labor cost.

Then, provided you've gotten the three crops picked, you've got to get each one, at different times, to somewhere and sell it.

I shop at a market locally that caters to the area restaurants-some of the produce is local...but the bulk of the produce at that market comes from California. Never mind we have a climate here almost as suited to growing year-round.
(In my area, we use what could be good farmland to grow saint freaking Augustine turf for freaking lawns! In a metro area of 4 million we import our veggies from 2000 + miles away! :bugeye::mad:)

The whole system is set up for bulk production. If you produce a little of this, a little of that, as in companion planting...can you get the big buyers to take the stuff?

I also used to pick up donated produce at a wholesale-only produce-row place. They don't sell less than a pallet there, I don't think.

So we need to not only change how we grow our food, and where-since we can't keep growing almost all of America's veggies in California-we need to change how it gets to the supermarket-the whole chain of harvest and supply.

Most people used to get much of their non-tropical produce at a market, harvested and then brought the same day by a farmer much handier to the city...reviving this sort of truck farm would help crop biodiversity, allow for intercropping, better pest management, less fuel cost in getting stuff to market, less use of pesticides, fresher food, less need for refrigeration, etc.

All that with or without going organic, with increasing yield, and with less food wastage.

As far as adding fertility to the soil, two thoughts:

Human sewage is filled with contaminants. Remove the chemical contaminants, kill the dangerous bacteria, denature the virus proteins, and you have a lot of nutrients that ought to be going back into crops. We need to find a SAFE way to do this. I was thinking cooking the raw effluent with a solar array, then find some way to precipitate out the minerals, so as to leave contaminants of a chemical nature behind.

Yard waste. You know, I filled up a 600-gallon container with other people's yard waste. And cardboard. Newspaper. Food waste. We literally are tossing the fertility of our soil into landfills.

It's not that I'm totally against GM crops-Bt cotton, Golden rice, possibly this new cassava-those seem to be probable good things. Some use of GM crops may be a good thing, I'm not willing to say it isn't. But I'm not a trusting devotee of the stuff. I want to keep my eyes peeled for problems.

I have my own ideas of what GM ought to be used for that goes beyond standard crop applications-like my idea of GM oily sea duckweed, to release onto the ocean as a biofuel, a wild fish foodstock, a carbon sopper, and an oxy producer...(although it'd be hard as hell getting all those attributes in one hardy, fast-breeding, little free-floating plant)

I think genetic modding has great power. Anything that's powerful can be dangerous.

I also think that assuming that there are no risks before that is proven to be the case, and then not monitoring the new tech very carefully and applying it in a slow and cautious fashion...that's overly optimistic.

That's what I perceive your position as.

It very much reminds me of how people thought about X-rays/radiation before their dangers were known, or how people assumed pesticides were safe...until they found otherwise.

And maybe GM stuff's fine, and I'm being too cautious. But I don't know that. What I do know about genetic modification (we genetically modded some e.coli in my Biology 1 class-glow in the dark bowel bugs...) leads me to think that it's not as precise as you think it is.

(I'll review that chapter in my Biology 1 book again, because that was the semester right before the first sinus surgery, and between the fever (constant) and the migraines (every 3 days) and the fatigue (constant), my brain was one with the oatmeal. Made an A, but burned myself out doing it...)

I have to catch up on sleep now...and stop goofing on the 'net-two tree seedlings came in the mail, I have 3 planting beds to knock together tomorrow, need to try and get dirt for same also...

Do me a favor, if you have the time.

I am willing to concede the problem of reduced-yield for organics, so, if you would, look up and link some articles on how much less yield organic farms produce over time. Longitudinal data. Not talking about the first five years; it's well known they take 5 years to get off the ground.

Please include data on the data source and that data source's funding, if available.

Also, look up how much more GM crops improve yield and reduce pesticide use-actual stats, source, details...

It does not improve your credibility to use emotionally-loaded words like "stupid" and "superstitious."

What it shows is that you dismiss your opponent, as well as their objections, out-of-hand without giving them any respect or consideration.

Chimpkin

The words I have used in relation to "organic" farming are 'dogma' and 'superstition'. Both those words, I believe, are appropriate, since many of the ideas behind this sort of farming are based on the unyielding belief that something that is 'natural' must be superior to something that is 'unnatural'. That belief has a kind of religious fervour to it, and a total rejection of alternatives.

In truth, that which is 'unnatural' is often superior (not always). In the example I used before, the use of 'natural' copper sulfate as a fungicide is way more damaging than the use of many of the 'unnatural' synthetic carbon based fungicides, which are biodegradable and low in toxicity to non target organisms.

My own belief is that the distinction between 'conventional' and 'organic' agriculture is ridiculous and damaging. Farmers should use whatever technique works best, both for productivity and for minimising harm to the environment. Some techniques traditionally called 'organic' may be superior - like the widespread use of mulches. Some techniques rejected by organic farmers are very superior - such as spraying glyphosate to kill weeds rather than tilling the soil.

Mechanical tilling of the soil is one of the most environmentally damaging techniques of all. It loosens soil so that wind and water erosion can remove top soil. It exposes soil humus to oxygen, leading to accelerated decomposition and loss of carbon. Conventional no-till agriculture using glyphosate or other biodegradable herbicide permits carbon build up in the soil.

Back to GM.
I am not suggesting careless introduction of this technology. Perhaps I should have made that clear earlier. All new technologies need to be thoroughly tested before introduction. This includes traditional innovations in agriculture such as new strains of crop. (I read a story once of a breeding program that developed a new strain of potato. Someone got hold of those potatoes and cooked them for a meal. He died. The new strain, developed by traditional breeding, accidentally ended up with massive amounts of the phytotoxin solanine.)

However, the need for caution should not stop us innovating. We also need new crops to feed a hungry world. If GM can improve yields or improve the nutritional content of foods, then we must move forward with this technology, and that is what is happening.

Farmers should use whatever technique works best, both for productivity and for minimising harm to the environment

Generally agreed...so long as the qualifier "long-term" is added to that.

If we feed the current population, only to deplete the soil such that we can't feed their kids, we've not solved the problem, merely kicked it down the road a bit.

(And by the way, I heard a "living on earth" broadcast...the best way to bring down population is not to make people well-off, not that I dislike people being happy...it's to give women control over their own bodies through birth control, equal rights under the law and equality of opportunity.
Give women that, the babymaking drops precipitously.:cool: And bringing down our 'pop' is what we need to do, long-term.)

All new technologies need to be thoroughly tested before introduction.

That's what worries me...they don't seem to do a lot of testing. One of the articles, I think the Vermont college one, that I linked, noted that the GM seed goes direct to consumers; they don't have samples for testing when it was requested by agricultural college extensions.

As I understand it (and correct me if this is incorrect) they develop these plants, get a viable plant, immediately do an outdoor test crop. Then into production it goes.

So they don't even do the initial crop in a sealed environment, meaning the genes can escape even if they prove to be somehow dangerous.

I'm inclined to think they ought to grow new transgenic crops in a sealed greenhouse environment first, with various weeds and test insect populations present, and other plants of the base species, to see what happens when cross-pollination occurs. Then, provided nothing bad happens-bad being a beneficial insect negatively impacted in a serious fashion, or a weed given BT-producing ability or roundup-resistance...then do a test field. Then start selling the seed.

As I've said, I'm not under the impression that's how it's done. New transgenic crops are just thrown onto the market, and the companies making the transgenic seed do so all across the country, as I understand it.

Edited to add: I thought half the point of mulching was to prevent weeds...maybe that's one of the differences between home gardening and commercial production. Not that it prevents all weeds-I had to pull chickweed today as we're not eating enough of it. Tasty stuff-I eat it flowers and all.

Another nifty nonspray trick the commercial growers can adopt-guinea fowl. They are great bug-removers...very popular for this use in Australia's wineries, I'm given to understand.

But once again...a lot of the commercial growers aren't even concerned with the long term utility of the transgenic crops-so they rely on GM as a one-shot deal...and because of this, GM's going to lose its' utility over time. They need to be using multiple pest-control/weed control modalities.

This is just an idea-planting a cash crop and then a green manure crop-I'm thinking clover-shortly after...so instead of getting weeds, you're getting a nitrogen-fixer in between the rows...

Last edited:
chimpkin

We obviously read different literature.

When reading up about regulatory barriers to the introduction of GM crops, I read that a total of about 1000 tests are required before a crop can go commercial. Obviously some of these tests are simple and perfunctory, but some are longer term and very careful. I do not believe that anywhere in the world, a new GM seed can be carelessly tossed out of the lab and into the field. That would be a misleading statement.

skeptical said:
Monsanto is just a corporation. It has the same vices and non vices as any other corporation. It will use any legal means to protect itself that the law will permit. So what? It is what every other corporation does.

That says absolutely nothing about the GM crops and foods themselves.
The problems with corporations are well established. They cannot be trusted with too much control over everyone's food supply, and they are incapable of voluntarily foregoing profits to protect public resources or safety.

skeptical said:
Back to GM.
I am not suggesting careless introduction of this technology.
Allowing large proportions of the world's food supply and agricultural economy to be dominated by GM manipulations and the few corporations that control them, is careless. Defending such high risk behavior on the basis that we have had maybe sixteen years of sporadic and limited experience with some aspects of it without disaster yet, is extremely careless - to the point of foolishnes.

iceaura

It is the difference between evidence and imagining.

On the one hand, we have various GM crops, tested in laboratory and field before approval, and then with many years experience showing them to be safe.

On the other hand, we have imagination and paranoia.

skeptical said:
It is the difference between evidence and imagining.

On the one hand, we have various GM crops, tested in laboratory and field before approval, and then with many years experience showing them to be safe.
In your dreams.

In real life we have a couple of multinational corporations making billions by marketing half-baked and poorly understood manipulations of fundamental genetic code worldwide, with no more understanding of the consequences than they have liability for them, and the food supply of hundreds of millions of people on the line.

Back