10 rules for true believers to follow

river said:
Realists are caught up in this " believing of UFO's " .

Those that experience UFO's never describe what they see as something they "believe " they saw .

Well said.
Those that believe they saw UFOs are unable to skeptically examine their own experience. They just take it at face-value and believe the whole thing,
This is why it requires a third-party objective analysis.

Hmmm... understand your point . However the 5% that are unexplained , have the third party , perspective.

Didn't make any difference . The witnesses saw what they saw as real , and is real .

Didn't make any difference . The witnesses saw what they saw as real , and is real .
Sure. People who saw the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind saw something real. Fictional perhaps, but what they _saw_ was real - a movie.

Likewise, witnesses often see real phenomena - moving lights in the sky or alien looking creatures. They saw something real. However, to therefore conclude that there are aliens visiting us isn't the logical next step.

Hmmm... understand your point . However the 5% that are unexplained , have the third party , perspective.

Not sure how perspective is impartial or can testify

I do believe that some things are unexplainable

However how is it that so many of those who saw a strange light or whatever in the sky leap straight away to the conclusion its an alien spacecraft?

And by coincidence many seem to have repeated sightings

:)

Sure. People who saw the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind saw something real. Fictional perhaps, but what they _saw_ was real - a movie.

Likewise, witnesses often see real phenomena - moving lights in the sky or alien looking creatures. They saw something real. However, to therefore conclude that there are aliens visiting us isn't the logical next step.

You realise your full post implications , right ?

Not having much luck convincing other people that you've seen UFO's? Having trouble convincing those loser, mundane "realists" that we are regularly being visited by space aliens? Fear not. True believers can follow this simple list of rules to use when trying to prove your latest ambiguous sighting is, in fact, evidence that space aliens are regularly visiting us. In your face, realists!

1) Always introduce new sightings with as much drama as possible, preferably in the context of some realist denying it. This "rallies the troops" and gets true believers feeling that they are being oppressed.

2) Obscure the meanings of words. Claim that UFO's are alien ships; then, when a UFO is proven to not be an alien ship, claim that of course you knew that; UFO just means "unidentified." Duh. That puts the "realists" on the defensive right off the bat.

3) Pre-emptive attacks! Remember, a good offense is often the best defense. If you are regularly called a troll for your attempts to be divisive and irrational, accuse them of being trolls FIRST. That way, when they call you a troll later, you can say "I said it first."

4) Be nimble. If presented with weak evidence that your latest fave UFO is a fake, then be ready with your lists of claims. If presented with strong evidence, be ready to abandon that argument and immediately post a claim about a new object, in hopes no one will notice in all the turmoil.

5) Claim that the absence of evidence is, itself, evidence. If you find a blurry photo of a light in the sky from 1960, post an assertion that it is a UFO - and if it wasn't, why hasn't anyone debunked it after 50 years? And if there is evidence debunking it, demand to know where the evidence PROVING it went. If there's no evidence proving it - who removed it? Government coverup, anyone?

6) Remember that once news media coverage leads the public to believe that UFOs may be in the vicinity, there are numerous natural and man-made objects which, especially when seen at night, can take on unusual characteristics in the minds of hopeful viewers. Capitalize on this; search local papers, forums and tweets to see if anything unusual pops up. If it does - more 'evidence!'

7) Everyone wants to be famous. If you communicate with someone who thinks they have seen a UFO, encourage them to embellish the story, explaining that this will get them on TV - or at least be more popular on-line.

8) If you are losing an argument, make sure to play it off as a big joke. Use LOL! LOL! a lot to prove that you're not really that serious about this argument, unlike your other bulletproof arguments.

9) Remember that people cannot accurately determine distances or sizes of aerial objects. Use this to your advantage; claim that even when a pilot (for example) identifies the UFO as an unusual aircraft like an Osprey, it could still be the size of the Hindenburg, since he cannot estimate the size accurately. And Ospreys aren't the size of the Hindenburg; therefore, it must be a UFO. QED.

10) Personality is king. Most UFO sightings are short on physical evidence, but often you can link the sighting to a famous, beloved personality. Then you can link the two - "oh, so you think the Pope is an immoral liar!" If they were once a scientist, pilot or other expert, even better - you can claim immediate expert cred. (Warning - this can backfire if one of the people reading is one of those experts, so use sparingly!)

11) (Bonus rule!) If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit - lots of it. Post dozens of sightings and claim that they can't all be "explainable." Use new terms and reference lots of woo - then demand that realists debunk every single bit of woo you post before you will listen to them. Or make up terms, and if the realists ask them what your term "UFologism" means, say "well, if you are that ignorant, how can you claim to know what's going on with UFO's?" Remember, the more the better here - get ready to Gish Gallop!

By using the above list, you'll be able to post reams of material about the "reality" of UFO's, and avoid the numerous (and sometimes uncomfortable) questions from realists. So get posting, and don't let the realists win!

Unless you actually observe a UFO , you will never understand the experience of a UFO.

But if you trust the the book by Donald Keyhoe ; http://www.sacred-texts.com/ufo/fsar/index.htm.

UFO's are real .

Unless you actually observe a UFO , you will never understand the experience of a UFO.
I have seen one - decades ago, when I was flying from eastern Long Island back to Republic Airport. Passed about 1000 feet under me.
UFO's are real.
They certainly are. They're just not extraterrestrial spaceships.

God, what a terrible film that was! I remember feeling the whole thing was in some way anti-rational. There was no attempt to make sense of the various phenomena, no attempt to explain how it was that government seemed to be expecting a landing, and no resolution at the end. And that bloody jingle! And the farcical scene, in which the guy under some sort of - unexplained - influence makes a mountain out of mashed potato, was unintentionally hilarious. Typical Spielberg: never mind the lack of plot, watch the special effects.

But I suppose I had a sheltered upbringing, in which I was never really exposed to anti-rationality, as embodied by the attitudes of people like Magical Realist.

God, what a terrible film that was! I remember feeling the whole thing was in some way anti-rational. There was no attempt to make sense of the various phenomena, no attempt to explain how it was that government seemed to be expecting a landing, and no resolution at the end. And that bloody jingle! And the farcical scene, in which the guy under some sort of - unexplained - influence makes a mountain out of mashed potato, was unintentionally hilarious. Typical Spielberg: never mind the lack of plot, watch the special effects.

Maybe you should write a book on how to direct movies and send it to Spielburg. Title it "The Rationalist's Approach To Great Moviemaking."

But I suppose I had a sheltered upbringing, in which I was never really exposed to anti-rationality, as embodied by the attitudes of people like Magical Realist.

Could just be you were the same stodgy rationalist with no imagination in your younger years as you are today.

Maybe you should write a book on how to direct movies and send it to Spielburg. Title it "The Rationalist's Approach To Great Moviemaking."

Could just be you were the same stodgy rationalist with no imagination in your younger years as you are today.

Or, perhaps, he simply would appreciate at least a token attempt to remain plausible?

Or, perhaps, he simply would appreciate at least a token attempt to remain plausible?

Uh.. that movie came out before the internet. Yeah, probably yearning for way too much. I've never seen it myself.

One of the older movies I liked, though, was Aliens - they blow things up!

:EDIT:
:EDIT:
Oh, that was the wrong video (meh)

Last edited:
Well, one always has to suspend one's disbelief, in any sci-fi story. So that is not really the issue. But in the good ones, there is some, er, science and some ideas are explored.

In Close Encounters, there is not one scene showing human beings attempting to work out what is going on. The protagonists are portrayed as awestruck dopes. Even worse, it is clear, later in the film, that there are people who who have worked it out and that government is not only aware of what is happening but has developed a whole plan for diplomatic contact and exchange of personnel with the aliens, yet the viewers are not shown any of the process by which that has taken place. So we are left with a sort of silly Roswell/Bermuda Triangle/Area 51, conspiracy-theory insinuation, to the effect that "they" in government know what is going on but are not telling "us" the stupid plebs.

Deeply unsatisfying to anyone interested in space travel, or how aliens might behave, how contact would in fact be established with a totally alien civilisation lacking any points of contact with humanity, or indeed any of the ideas connected with science that one might hope would be explored.

I saw it a year after leaving university. For me, it was a personal awakening to the rising tide of anti-rationality that has been a disease of popular culture since that time. That era was, perhaps, the dawn of Auberon Waugh's "Stupid Society" - which he wrote about in the mid 70s.

Last edited:
Well, one always has to suspend one's disbelief, in any sci-fi story. So that is not really the issue. But in the good ones, there is some, er, science and some ideas are explored.

Certainly - that is, in my opinion, the deciding factor between Science-Fiction and Science-Fantasy.

In Close Encounters, there is not one scene showing human beings attempting to work out what is going on. The protagonists are portrayed as awestruck dopes. Even worse, it is clear, later in the film, that there are people who who have worked it out and that government is not only aware of what is happening but has developed a whole plan for diplomatic contact and exchange of personnel with the aliens, yet the viewers are not shown any of the process by which that has taken place. So we are left with a sort of silly Roswell/Bermuda Triangle/Area 51, conspiracy-theory insinuation, to the effect that "they" in government know what is going on but are not telling "us" the stupid plebs.

That sounds... yeah, terrible is probably the best word for it? I mean, to hint at, and then totally ignore a subplot like that

Deeply unsatisfying to anyone interested in space travel, or how aliens might behave, how contact would in fact be established with a totally alien civilisation lacking any points of contact with humanity, or indeed any of the ideas connected with science that one might hope would be explored.

I saw it a year after leaving university. For me, it was a personal awakening to the rising tide of anti-rationality that has been a disease of popular culture since that time. That era was, perhaps, the dawn of Auberon Waugh's "Stupid Society" - which he wrote about in the mid 70s.

*nod* Makes me think of things like idiocracy...

I have yet to see a science fiction movie that delves into, discusses or even exposes real science to the public. Either the public is not interested or the public is not taken seriously. The only science fiction film that remotely does not seem, at least, to be purposely evading some science, was the movie 'sunshine'.

though there were some liberties taken, apparently physicists were consulted for the film. is it a coincidence it didn't get much publicity? i would rate it as one of the best sci-fi films ever made, mostly because of the soberness of the portrayal of characters. it was more realistic and one did not have to suspend disbelief these were actual scientists and astronauts whereas in most films, you have to ignore that so and so 'insert' celebrity actor is playing the part in which they in no way embody. this is why i find most films with the celebrity fanfare films are often cookie cutter. Just due to popularity, they are given major roles to carry. i think this is miscasting and why character actors are much more compelling, not just based on rank of celebrity status, otherwise film quality as well as the believable in the characters suffers.

apparently also, the producer made it a point to make sure the cast studied the behavioral characteristics of scientists (generally) by conversing and spending time around them to more accurately portray them. the lack of hype of humans themselves is what made that film refreshingly different from the rest. they were just their ordinary self carrying out a heavy mission with all the foibles, fears, ambivalence, mistakes as well as courage, humanity and sacrifice.

Last edited:
Are you joking? How do you deal rationally with a compulsion to go to a specific place like Devil's Tower? Obviously, the aliens placed this idea in people's minds. The cool thing about Close Encounters of the Third Kind was how people react when everything they know has been proven wrong. It wasn't anti-science, it was just beyond current science.

Are you joking? How do you deal rationally with a compulsion to go to a specific place like Devil's Tower? Obviously, the aliens placed this idea in people's minds. The cool thing about Close Encounters of the Third Kind was how people react when everything they know has been proven wrong. It wasn't anti-science, it was just beyond current science.
It was one of the awestruck dopes (that viewers were meant, idiotically, to identify with) that did that. What about all the quasi-military kit at the reception site, the people in special suits, and the team trooping off to get on board the flying saucer? Is the film saying all that was set up by people under some kind of compulsion? And I don't recall anything much about people "reacting to everything they knew being proven wrong", apart from the stock open-mouthed rural policemen crashing their cars, which seems to be de rigueur in a certain type of film set in the USA.

Last edited:
What about all the quasi-military kit at the reception site, the people in special suits, and the team trooping off to get on board the flying saucer?
So they discovered what's happening. And the aliens had another agenda, a different set of volunteers they wanted to visit with. What's anti-science about it?

Back