Zoo to bring dead animals back to life, 'Jurassic Park'-style

common_sense_seeker

Bicho Voador & Bicho Sugador
Valued Senior Member
Zoo to bring dead animals back to life, 'Jurassic Park'-style

Researchers at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, and San Diego Zoo have collaborated to create stem cells from the skin cells of a dead drill monkey, an endangered monkey native to Equatorial Guinea, Nigeria and Cameroon.
The scientists, speaking at the International Society for Stem Cell Research in San Francisco, hope that the "induced pluripotent stem" (iPS) cells thus created can then be biochemically persuaded into becoming sperm and egg cells. They can then be implanted into the womb of another monkey, and will hopefully form a viable foetus.

Any reason to worry about misuse of this technology? See earlier thread.

I didn't read your article in full because I'm at work and don't have the time, but in the section you quoted, it states "The scientists...hope that the iPS cells thus created can be biochemically persuaded into becoming sperm and egg cells" and "...will hopefully form a viable foetus."

So they haven't accomplished anything yet, and they may not even succeed at all. Not only that, but they are using a species that still exists (although endangered), so the "'Jurassic Park'-style" wording in the title is misleading.

It is interesting, however.

I'm hoping for mastodons, sabre-toothed tigers and other organisms with living close cousins, that could make recreation feasible, where complete DNA exists.

An "Oligocene Park", rather than Jurassic.

Any reason to worry about misuse of this technology? See earlier thread.
:bugeye:

Why would that be a misuse? :shrug:

Also, why would there be ANY worry about iPS technology? It was hot 2 years ago, but now it's almost common. As a matter of fact, that tech is a bit old-ish now - there's newer and better technology happening. In 3 more years it's be passe'.

Back