Yellow badge-origin

Mr.Spock

Back from the dead
Valued Senior Member
The use of distinctive clothing or marks for Jewish and other religious communities has been traced by historians to ancient times. In the early Islamic period non-Muslims might be required to wear distinctive marks, such as metal seals fixed around their necks. This appears to have derived from practices general in the ancient world including tattooing and branding of slaves and captives. However, both Jewish and Islamic religious authorities disapproved of the application of permanent markings and this may be why leaden or copper seals were used at some times in the Islamic world as a distinguishing mark for those who were non-Muslims or slaves or both. [4]

[edit] In Muslim lands

Non-Muslim residents in medieval Islamic states were set apart from Muslims in various ways. Islamic law and custom required them to carry signs of their difference and to adopt different dress. They had to avoid colours associated with Islam, particularly green. However, the enforcement of these rules was highly erratic. [5]

The practice of differentiating Muslims from Jews and Christians is not found in the Qur'an or hadith but appears to have been invented in early medieval Baghdad. [6] It was the most degrading of a series of regulations imposed upon non-Muslims (dhimmi).

According to Bernard Lewis:

Christians and Jews were to wear special emblems on their clothes. This, incidentally, is the origin of the yellow badge, which was first introduced by a caliph in Baghdad in the ninth century and spread into Western lands in later medieval times. Even when attending the public baths, non-Muslims were supposed to wear distinguishing signs suspended from cords around their necks, so that they might not be mistaken for Muslims when disrobed in the bathhouse.(Under Shi'a rules, they were not allowed to use the same bathrooms) [7] ...Finally, there was a third consideration, which became more important and perhaps dominant in the later centuries: the desire to humiliate, to remind the dhimmi of his inferiority, and to punish him if he ever tried to forget his quality and his place. The stigma of inferiority is expressed in a number of ways. The requirement that Jews and Christians, their families, and their slaves wear cloaks and headgear of distinctive colors is not in itself necessarily hostile. However, the requirements that they wear a patch of a different color on their outer garments is clearly intended to degrade as well as to differentiate.[8]

i just hear so many times how good jews and non muslims were treated. slogans are nice, but reality is much harsher. the origin of the yellow badge used in the holocaust holds muslims roots. so who wanted to be a jew under muslim rule?

i just hear so many times how good jews and non muslims were treated. slogans are nice, but reality is much harsher. the origin of the yellow badge used in the holocaust holds muslims roots. so who wanted to be a jew under muslim rule?

Well, this is all about discriminating and stereotyping; which, I think, is kinda stupid.

its just that the same old claim of "jews were treated good under islam" is just a big lie.

You have a good point. But this whole "religion defines a person thing" is BS to me
We should all be called humans, no Christian, Jew, Muslim, whatever, is all the freaking same.

You have a good point. But this whole "religion defines a person thing" is BS to me
We should all be called humans, no Christian, Jew, Muslim, whatever, is all the freaking same.

that is a subject of a different topic. generally, i agree.

Back