Would you turn down 22 million dollars?

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
Have you ever played Brain Age? I haven't but have to check it out:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gMwDe1ovbiILhtf3JKM2Ez79rGvA

Ryuta Kawashima, the scientist behind the smash-hit "brain training" games on Nintendo DS portable consoles, turned down the chance to become a millionaire, saying he'd rather work for a living.

The self-confessed workaholic -- who says he has no time for games, even his own -- is instead busy at his job, trying to come up with new inventions aimed at Japan's growing elderly population.

"Not a single yen has gone in my pocket," said the soft-spoken 48-year-old professor with round-rim glasses.

"Everyone in my family is mad at me but I tell them that if they want money, go out and earn it."

His brain-training software, which incorporates quizzes and other simple mental stimulation, is credited with introducing a new demographic to video-game machines as older people try to prevent senility.

Royalties from the brain training software for the Nintendo DS alone have reached 2.4 billion yen (22 million dollars), with 17 million titles sold worldwide since its debut in Japan in May 2005.

Under the rules of his employer, state-funded Tohoku University, Kawashima could take up to half the proceeds with the rest going to the school.

But Kawashima, married to a high-school classmate with four sons, is happy to live on his annual salary of around 11 million yen (100,000 dollars).

---------------------

Actually, it looks like he turned down half of the 22 millions, but it is still a nice sum....

He is also a sadist:

"Despite developing software for Nintendo, Kawashima banned his four sons, now aged 14 to 22, from playing video-games on weekdays, with only one hour allowed at weekends, and once destroyed a disc when they broke the rules."

Last edited:
Have you ever played Brain Age? I haven't but have to check it out:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gMwDe1ovbiILhtf3JKM2Ez79rGvA

Ryuta Kawashima, the scientist behind the smash-hit "brain training" games on Nintendo DS portable consoles, turned down the chance to become a millionaire, saying he'd rather work for a living.

The self-confessed workaholic -- who says he has no time for games, even his own -- is instead busy at his job, trying to come up with new inventions aimed at Japan's growing elderly population.

"Not a single yen has gone in my pocket," said the soft-spoken 48-year-old professor with round-rim glasses.

"Everyone in my family is mad at me but I tell them that if they want money, go out and earn it."

His brain-training software, which incorporates quizzes and other simple mental stimulation, is credited with introducing a new demographic to video-game machines as older people try to prevent senility.

Royalties from the brain training software for the Nintendo DS alone have reached 2.4 billion yen (22 million dollars), with 17 million titles sold worldwide since its debut in Japan in May 2005.

Under the rules of his employer, state-funded Tohoku University, Kawashima could take up to half the proceeds with the rest going to the school.

But Kawashima, married to a high-school classmate with four sons, is happy to live on his annual salary of around 11 million yen (100,000 dollars).

---------------------

Actually, it looks like he turned down half of the 22 millions, but it is still a nice sum....

He is also a sadist:

"Despite developing software for Nintendo, Kawashima banned his four sons, now aged 14 to 22, from playing video-games on weekdays, with only one hour allowed at weekends, and once destroyed a disc when they broke the rules."

:wallbang: IDIOT!!!! I like working too, but that's insane. Take the money and do charity work with it. Join the Peace Corp or something like it. But either way...TAKE THE DAMN MONEY!!!

So I take if you were his wife, no sex for what?, 6 months? :)

If I was his wife he would never had said no to begin with. He obviously only thought of himself and what he wanted.

Doesn't this kinda say what kind of man he is?

Well, I am not sure about Japan, but maybe a family of 6 can have a very decent life on a 100K salary. (maybe his wife works too)

Now about the 2 hours gaming per week, that is kind of hyporcatic in his case, like a druglord not letting his people to use drugs, but also could be good policy. Depending on the games....

Back