Would you buy gas from BP stations?

Would you buy gas from BP?

• Yes, no problem.

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • No, I would rather look for another company.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Don't know, I am indifferent on the issue.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Yes, but only if they do the right thing in the future.

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
Let's say you live where there are BP gas stations but other companies as well nearby. Would you buy your gas at the BP stations or are you pissed at them enough to boycott their product?

Oh yes, here is their logo 10 years ago:

ZSPKG.jpg

By the way by doing the right thing I meant if they can actually stop the leak in the next few weeks and reimburse everyone who was affected by the catastrophe and clean up the mess...

Whenever other oil spills have happened no one stopped buying the gas from the companies that caused the spill/leaks so why should we change now? Although this has happened many times before the companies have always cleaned up after themselves as best they could. To say this company, BP, should stand out for whatever reason is absured.

Let's say you live where there are BP gas stations but other companies as well nearby. Would you buy your gas at the BP stations or are you pissed at them enough to boycott their product?

ZSPKG.jpg

I personally don't like them because around here their gas is $.05-.07 more expensive per gallon in comparison to other chains.

Whenever other oil spills have happened no one stopped buying the gas from the companies that caused the spill/leaks so why should we change now?

1. Nobody said we should. This is just a poll.

2. This IS the biggest leak ever, so some things might change. It is called sending a message.

Hell, BP could go bankrupt on the deal, if nothing happens for 2-3 months and criminal charges are filed...

I've been avoiding BP. Though, let's be honest, BP's oil rigs deliver oil all over the world and to different countries.

I don't have a HUGE issue with the fact that BP was part of the team that made the spill (which is not to say that I don't have a HUGE issue with the spill). I have a problem with their post-spill behavior and thus have been avoiding going to one of their stations.

~String

Hell, BP could go bankrupt on the deal, if nothing happens for 2-3 months and criminal charges are filed...

I actually read that the state and federal governments are considering issuing criminal charges, various fines and whatnot that--when added to the tab they are running up--may well run into more than BPAmerica's total worth which may result in their seizure by the Feds.

~String

Never seen such a retailer.
I take it they exist beyond the Corporate?

Never seen such a retailer.
I take it they exist beyond the Corporate?

Mostly in the USA, Canada & Europe. They may well have stations in South America, Africa, Australia and New Zealand, but I never saw them when in some of those places.

~String

I voted no. I am rather pissed at them but, in truth, I never go there anyway. I always buy from Shell.

I would not be suprised to see BP sell its retail outlets to a subsidary to solve there customer relations issue created by this crisis.

I think this is going to be very expensive for BP with costs in excess of 12 billion dollars which would be about 75 percent of one years earnings.

I would not be suprised to see BP sell its retail outlets to a subsidary to solve there customer relations issue created by this crisis.

I think this is going to be very expensive for BP with costs in excess of 12 billion dollars which would be about 75 percent of one years earnings.

Twelve billion? Where have you gotten its figures?

With states already streamlining lawsuit activity against BP when coupled with federal and state fines, the number could well run to $50 billion. If this thing goes till August, you can easily double that.

we are, literally, looking at major history here. We'll all probably get to see the first toppling of a major international corporation (though, probably just the American subsidiary) by lawsuits and fines alone.

~String

Twelve billion? Where have you gotten its figures?

With states already streamlining lawsuit activity against BP when coupled with federal and state fines, the number could well run to $50 billion. If this thing goes till August, you can easily double that.

we are, literally, looking at major history here. We'll all probably get to see the first toppling of a major international corporation (though, probably just the American subsidiary) by lawsuits and fines alone.

~String

The numbers came from CNBC this evening and were attributed to Goldman Sachs and were reported as the highest cost estimates. I have heard another analyst put the cost estimate at 40 million per day which would yeild a very low overall number.

The bottom line is that there is a signficiant range in cost estimates. No one really knows the bottom line answer, because we do not know when the damage is going to stop.

You also have to remember this supreme court if very friendly to oil interests. SCOTUS Alito is known to be a big investor in oil companies. In the Exxon Valdez case the supremes vacated the 5 billion dollar punitive damage award. If this is anything like Exxon Valdez it will be in the courts for a very long time.

I think Exxon Valdez cost Exxon a little over a billion dollars to clean-up. I think this is more likely to run in the 5 billion dollar range based on 40 million per day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Valdez_oil_spill#Litigation_and_cleanup_costs

ZSPKG.jpg

the US goverment (and\or other relivent goverments) as will the relivent courts (civil or criminal). israil is the bigger (and more important) issue

the US goverment (and\or other relivent goverments) as will the relivent courts (civil or criminal). israil is the bigger (and more important) issue

Because lord knows we can only participate in one issue at a time... :rolleyes:

Because lord knows we can only participate in one issue at a time... :rolleyes:

i never stated that, i answered the question. this is a domestic issue, this isnt some poor African or pacific nation but rather a country with laws and strong enforcement of those laws. There for a boycot is unnessary because the goverment will deal with BP through criminal and civil santions and legislative change if nessary to ensure this doesnt happen again. IF the goverment fails in this then change the goverment. Its as simple as that

i never stated that, i answered the question. this is a domestic issue, this isnt some poor African or pacific nation but rather a country with laws and strong enforcement of those laws. There for a boycot is unnessary because the goverment will deal with BP through criminal and civil santions and legislative change if nessary to ensure this doesnt happen again. IF the goverment fails in this then change the goverment. Its as simple as that

Lol - OR we could just go straight to the source and boycott BP's.

Ahhhh. The Dutch patriot comes out in you AFTER ALL!!!

~String

I buy from Shell, too. But it has nothing to do with my wife and her family being Dutch. They just happen to be the only major gas station in the area that has diesel at all of its locations. Back when I drove a car with a regular gas engine, I used Chevron.

Just remember the more the US fines BP for the spill, the higher the cost of oil is going to be generally. If anything if it's proven the cost goes up, there will be more spills in the future.

Back