With a God like this, why did they need Satan?

What is ur belief in God? [See PPs]

• Total voters

aaqucnaona

This sentence is a lie
Valued Senior Member
I read 'the sins of scripture' recently and I realised this Yahweh character to be extremly hateful, jealous and totally un-godlike. The 'Pagan' religions were childs tales compared to this.

For example, there is this extreme egoistical insistence on believing in him alone. Why does an omniscient being require worship at all, much less belief? Doesnt he know he exists?

And whats the deal with "kill all that breaths" just coz it happens to be in the promised land, any amount of decent common sense would tell us that the people who live there, promised land or not, have the first right to the land. If they wanted the land, they should have bought it out or at the very worst, forced a treaty driving the locals out. Why kill them and their children and even their cattle?

And then comes the single most infamous quality of christainity. All humans are sinners coz adam and eve realised they were naked. I must say though, I would so not want to be decended from humans who dont even realise whether they have clothes on or not. Wait, thats symbolic?

They why did god incarnate himself, had himself tortured and killed? For a symbolic tale? And why the sadomasochism? Can't a omnipotent being just forgive a sin, even if such a sin could, in words of St.Augstine, be passed through the semen?

Now I understand why christianity has a disproportionately large number of priests - they are necessary to suger-coat the stories if the general public are to accept them. Of course, threats of eternal fires help too.

Ps. No offense to christains, needless to say.

PPS. About the poll.
Personal god:Monotheistic/ Polythiestic god, listens prayers,etc.
Agnostic:Uncertain of His existence.
Atheists: Maintain there's no god.
Diests: A non personal god, created the universe but doesnt work thereafter.
Spinoza's God: Pantheism, einstein and Stephen Hawkin's God.
NonThiest: Buddhists and other nondeity faiths.

For example, there is this extreme egoistical insistence on believing in him alone. Why does an omniscient being require worship at all

He doesnt just a little recognition is nice.

much less belief? Doesnt he know he exists?

Not neccisary.

He doesnt just a little recognition is nice.

Not neccisary.

Um, why highlight Personal god and Agnostic?

He came into being, just like Yashua, or Michael. He is a part of God. He was even once considered second in Heaven (beofre Jesus was in existence) only to Michael.

^He listens to prayers, and he talks to me, but their is simply no way for anyone to know for certain of his existence/non existence. Period. but I have faith, like he says.

I agree, although most Christians tend to believe in their personal idea of god, not the one actually depicted in their holy book. The only god that makes any sense to me is a pantheistic or panentheistic god, though I can't say I believe in one.

I agree, although most Christians tend to believe in their personal idea of god, not the one actually depicted in their holy book. The only god that makes any sense to me is a pantheistic or panentheistic god, though I can't say I believe in one.

I agree. Diest and Spinoza's God [Pan/panen theist] are the only ones logically viable.

Yes, God is not some dude with a beard, thats Jesus. God is all, and he is nothing, so you make it, so He will be. God could not be some dude floating in space, he wouldn't gain omniscience that way.

Yes, God is not some dude with a beard, thats Jesus. God is all, and he is nothing, so you make it, so He will be. God could not be some dude floating in space, he wouldn't gain omniscience that way.

I like ur idea that god is "something" and we interpret him as our deities. Sure illuminates why he looks like a bearded white guide - wise authority figures for us.

I like ur idea that god is "something" and we interpret him as our deities. Sure illuminates why he looks like a bearded white guide - wise authority figures for us.

God is something. God is what I call the original conciseness of the universe, and he asked why one day, and his conclusion was test out life, that is what we are doing now. Gods sons are our deities. Angels ARE referred in the bible as gods. The closest deity was we ever had to the God is the sun god Ra, which was essentially the sun. I do have a theory God might form shape so he can walk the earth in its dying days, and no man will know who he is.

AAQ, be honest, you didn’t recently read the Scriptures. The idea that the Bible is filled with horrible stories and God is a terrible being has been around for Ages, has been in numerous books by self described “Freethinkers” to discredit Christianity, and forms one of the central criticisms that is repeated ad nauseum on the Internet. DO you really expect us to believe that you were just randomly reading the Bible and came to this conclusion on your own?

Well, I for one don’t. I think you are just looking for reasons to justify what amounts to an irrational hatred of Christianity, because that Hatred of Christianity has become a core component of your Identity since you identify with a particularly hostile Atheistic Religion yourself, though you will of course deny that you have a Religion.

Not that it matters, your criticisms are Childish, and base don misrepresentation which only furthers my conclusion that you are regurgitating half digested argument from elsewhere, and not subjecting those criticisms to any sort of scrutiny. You just blindly believe them then take credit for coming up with them all on your own, not aware of how obviously shallow the comments are.

You even work in the usual “Pagans were better than Christians” line…

Lets take a look…

I read 'the sins of scripture' recently and I realised this Yahweh character to be extremly hateful, jealous and totally un-godlike. The 'Pagan' religions were childs tales compared to this.

Maybe you should read the actual Scriptures and not a book about them. At the very least read more than just John Shelby Spong. Even Bart Ehrman doesn’t have the same beliefs as Spong about this, and Ehrman is an Atheist!

As to the gentleness of the Pagan Faiths relative to the Bible, ou clearly have not read much of the various Pagan mythologies that exist.

For example, there is this extreme egoistical insistence on believing in him alone. Why does an omniscient being require worship at all, much less belief? Doesnt he know he exists?

This isn’t even a logical question. Why do you assume a demand for Worship is all about affirmation that he exists?

Of course God knows he exists, and even if God was as egotistical as Spong said, and you repeated, that doesn’t mean that he needs our worship to affirm that existence. Arrogant men know they exist, but still seek praise.

Not that it matters, since God is not egotistical for wanting worship. God seeks worship because he Created us, and because said Worship was a part of why we were Created. It’s more about Recognition of our ultimate progenitor than egotism. It’s also about establishing his Authority so we will do his Will, and thus lead better lives.

And whats the deal with "kill all that breaths" just coz it happens to be in the promised land, any amount of decent common sense would tell us that the people who live there, promised land or not, have the first right to the land. If they wanted the land, they should have bought it out or at the very worst, forced a treaty driving the locals out. Why kill them and their children and even their cattle?

If you’d bothered to read the text of the Scriptures you’d’ know.

And then comes the single most infamous quality of christainity.

The real Irony is you are citing Jewish texts… this is Irony because your only Target is Christianity. People never seem to attack the Jews for the use of the same texts…

All humans are sinners coz adam and eve realised they were naked.

This is not True. For oen thing, not all Christians even accept Original Sin. I grew up in the Churches of Christ and Original Sin is not a part of the Doctrines of that Church. The Orthodox don’t really teach it either. Neither do a few others.

As to those that do, the teaching is no that Adam and Eve realised they were naked so we are all Sinners. The Doctrine of Original Sin is that Adam and Eve sinned against God by eating of the Fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. After which, they acquired the knowledge of shame and guilt, and realised they were naked. However, it is not the Realisation that they were naked that caused all humanity to be born into sin, it was the inherent flaw that Adam and Eve passed on to their Children that caused them to be born with a predisposition for disobeying God’s will. The sin of Adam and Eve was not that they knew they were naked, but that they had disobeyed God and acquired something that they were not intended to acquire. It is this Trait of Rebelliousness against God that is inherited, NOT “I know I’m naked so everyone else is damned.”

If you can’t even get that Right then you have no business criticising the Scriptures.

By the way, Original Sin doesn’t teach we were born guilty of Sin, only that we were born with a Natural inclination toward Sin.

I must say though, I would so not want to be decended from humans who dont even realise whether they have clothes on or not. Wait, thats symbolic?

This is why I no longer take Atheist arguments from modern Atheists seriously. I hope uyou know that. Adam and Eve likely knew they were naked, as in not wearing clothes, even before they partook of the Fruit. You know, the Forbidden Fruit you seem to have not bothered to mention? They simply had no actual shame in it and no concept of Nudity that we have. They knew they were not wearing clothes, they simply didn’t care and it never occurred t them they had to.

The meaning fo this was, they were innocent, and had never felt shame before. Now, thanks to the Knowledge of Good and Evil, they know Shame, and fear, and regret.

I mean, you really aren’t presenting the Fall as it has been understood for 3500 years. You reduced it to “One day they realised they were Naked’ which is to what happened.

They why did god incarnate himself, had himself tortured and killed? For a symbolic tale? And why the sadomasochism? Can't a omnipotent being just forgive a sin, even if such a sin could, in words of St.Augstine, be passed through the semen?

Do you even know what St. Augustine meant?

By the way Dawkins also asked this absurd question, but its absurd because it ignores basic things lime the Culture Jesus came from, the State of Human History, for even Human Nature we live with today.

The concept pf the Sacrifice of Jesus was tied to the Sacrificial offerings made at the Temple. Sin requires Death and Blood. This ties into Human Psychology and a need to feel punished for wrongs and by which we are validated. (One of my upcoming essays is on this by the way.)

In Ancient Judaism, the predecessor to Christianity, the Blood Atonement was usually made via an Animal Sacrifice. The Sins were given to the Animal, who was killed so the Sins may be covered for a Year. Jesus died for all and for all Time. The Sins of the world were given to him so he may Die, and with him the Sins of the World.

As for Omnipotent beings “Just forgiving”, that doesn’t make sense from God’s perspective or mans. If God “Just forgive” in the way you, Dawkins, and perhaps Spong suggests, there would still be no mechanism for reception of that Forgiveness without some kind of Contact. The purpose of the Forgiveness was as much to serve as a Catalyst for Transformation as it was to Reconcile God to man on its own. In fact, that Transformation is the essential element. People need an object to focus on and to draw on as a reference, and a powerful event, such as the Death of an innocent Man, who willingly died for others, has a much more profound reaction than just “I forgive them.”

Jesus’ Life and Death supply us with the basis of Moral Teaching and a perfect exemplar of that Teaching, as well as a Focal pint on which we can pin all our hopes and fears, our anxieties and our comforts, our Sin as well as our Valour. It acts as a Medium for us to channel all of our Highest and lowest impulses and Transform them into a useful mass. You don’t get that out of God just saying “All is forgiven”.

Further, Jesus’s sacrifice enables us to make a choice of whether we accept it or not.

Now I understand why christianity has a disproportionately large number of priests - they are necessary to suger-coat the stories if the general public are to accept them. Of course, threats of eternal fires help too.

This is inherently contradictory. The Priests can’t be busy suger coating the stories whilst relhign on terrifying people with images of Hell.

That said, not all Christian Churches even have a Priesthood, and not all Ministers sugercoat things either. Your just projecting a biased view onto an imagined “Prietshood of Christianity” to suit your claims.

Ps. No offense to christains, needless to say.

I don’t buy this. You clearly did want to offend Christians, and did so with malrepresentitive tripe that rests on Caricature and is supported by Ignorance.

PPS. About the poll.

Too limited.

I read 'the sins of scripture' recently and I realised this Yahweh character to be extremly hateful, jealous and totally un-godlike.

If you understand Jehovah to be "totally un-godlike," then what is your idea of god-like?

I admit that I was greatly prejudiced when I wrote that. I had just became an atheist and I was strongly against religious fundamentalism, absolutism, authoritarianism, totalitarians, creationism and religious insistence on faith and suspension of reason. If you see my other threads:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111812
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111466
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111216
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111594
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111277
You will see the same initial hatred of religion. If you follow the last few pages of each of them you will see that I am now much more balanced and unprejudiced. I am appalled to read some of my early posts to see how much I was against religion and how much hate obviously seeped into my words.

All theists on sciforums, I apologise for my intial outburst against religion. It was a massive mental defragging for me, my entire mindset [of devout theism] was wore down over two years and then it snaped on reading the god delusion. Please read the OP and the last page of "My journey to Atheism" before you judge me, Zav, for now I am a changed man.

If you understand Jehovah to be "totally un-godlike," then what is your idea of god-like?

I would think that the best god would be like a teacher, not a father or a friend. He would protect and help and get us to learn about the world and about life. He would be calm, understanding, non-demanding, forgiving.

I would think that the best god would be like a teacher, not a father or a friend. He would protect and help and get us to learn about the world and about life. He would be calm, understanding, non-demanding, forgiving.

And you are sure that this person you describe does not exist?

And you are sure that this person you describe does not exist?

No. I think that from what we know so far, such a person [a superpowered, supernatural someone who cares for us] is unlikely to exist. I may be wrong, and I am willing to accept that if the opposite can be proven. I only disbelieve in god, I dont deny him. Like you may say you dont believe that bigfoot exists . However, you do not say that you believe that big foot doesn't exist.

I only disbelieve in god, I dont deny him.

For all practical intents and purposes, the two are the same, though: whether you don't believe in God, or whether you believe that God doesn't exist - either way, you act as if God wouldn't exist.

For all practical intents and purposes, the two are the same, though: whether you don't believe in God, or whether you believe that God doesn't exist - either way, you act as if God wouldn't exist.

Very very wrong indeed wynn.
I dont believe in god, but I also do not believe that god does not exist [he may] and even yet, I act as if god exists - its a good way to live. My atheism doesn't go beyound my philosophy and my discussions.

Refer this post of mine:
http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2883733&postcount=52

Also read the OP and first few posts on these:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=2883629#post2883629

Very very wrong indeed wynn.
I dont believe in god, but I also do not believe that god does not exist [he may] and even yet, I act as if god exists - its a good way to live. My atheism doesn't go beyound my philosophy and my discussions.

Refer this post of mine:
http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2883733&postcount=52

Also read the OP and first few posts on these:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=2883629#post2883629

For all practical intents and purposes:
Do you act as if God exists, or do you act as if God doesn't exist?
Give some examples from your daily life.

Back