Wisdom 2

Mind Over Matter

Registered Senior Member
Split: Wisdom 2

EDIT: I was suppose to post this in "Who come first the theist or the atheist" thread, to establish that when the Bible was written it addresses atheism already. And I wanted to talk about back in the day it seems that there was a plethora of god's and the vast majority, if not all people had some belief in a god or gods. Plus, as I recall the term "god" was not always restricted in the way that that it is today. Even certain men were sometimes referred to as "gods" (using whatever ancient term/language that was appropriate).

So this got me wondering if there is anything in the bible that seems directed specifically at those who believe in no god what-so-ever until I have read Wisdom 2. (I don't refer to references to "non-believers" since most "pagans" would be labelled non-believers by the Jews and early Christians..)

But I didn't want to take the topic of that thread too far afield so I started one here.

http://www.usccb.org/bible/wisdom/wisdom2.htm

I'd like to share this quote of Wisdom 2 that directly address atheism.

[1] For they reasoned unsoundly, saying to themselves,
"Short and sorrowful is our life,
and there is no remedy when a man comes to his end,
and no one has been known to return from Hades.
(speaks of people who do not believe in an afterlife)

[2] Because we were born by mere chance,
(Darwinism)

and hereafter we shall be as though we had never been;
(Belief in nothingness after death)

because the breath in our nostrils is smoke,
and reason is a spark kindled by the beating of our hearts.
(Materialism - because this part of the verse suggests that our very reason is a biological byproduct)

[3] When it is extinguished, the body will turn to ashes,
and the spirit will dissolve like empty air.
(Again, nothingness after death)

Last edited:
I'd like to share this quote of Wisdom 2 that directly address atheism.

Unfortunately, the text that you posted doesn't seem to have anything intelligible to say about atheism. Certainly nothing thoughtful or persuasive.

What makes you think that it's "wisdom"?

It's apparently from the Bible - The Book of Wisdom (this is MoM's reference).

As such:

C. A scriptural quote would be appropriate if one was attempting to explain why religious adherents make certain decisions, behave certain ways, believes certain things, etc. If, however, the quote is provided a priori from the point of view that it is a given truth that supports itself, it would be considered preaching or proselytizing.

Taken from section 7 of the Posting rules for the Religion forum.

Back