Will we eventually grow out of religion?

KennyJC

Registered Senior Member
It seems to me that since we are a species only just coming to grips with intelligence and taking in the world around us, that religion could be a temporary safety net.

Will we one day be advanced enough to answer some of the major questions using our own intelligence rather than making broad assumptions based on faith and mythical stories?

Will humans (assuming we stick around for long enough) eventually realise that there are better ways to explain the world around us rather than trusting in a belief in God and what we appear to think God stands for?

Will we still be believing in heaven and hell and adam and eve in 1 million years?

as the people of the world, become more educated they will question more.
the awe they have now for there preachers,etc will dwindle.
as they will understand the BS.
education is the key to mans escape, from the dark ages.

I hope it will be much sooner then a million years

Religion in general? No. The religions we have? Yes, eventually. Well, maybe Buddhism will last, but I'm not worried about that in any way.

EBE theory and panspermia are possibly the bases of future religions. After first contact, perhaps those "crackpots" (as one Lutheran preacher I suffered put it) who see aliens in the Ark of the Covenant won't be thought of as so crazy. Anything, you know, to keep a religion alive.

And, as a side note, it occurs to me that I don't actually recall the word he used, although the term I've chosen is both instinctive and the only one that comes to mind and doesn't seem discordant to what's left of that period. To the one, there is a seed of truth in any myth. To the other, and perhaps more to the point, it seems the memories are starting to wear off. Happy day ... have hope, children of shadow. The sun will set soon, and the glaring hypocrisy will cease to parch the soul.

Back