Wierd Parasite of the Fish

Parasites are strange critters that's for sure. It is odd that this one wasn't known about until 2005 as well.

It's actually very fascinating how many new species of creature, whether be a parasitic creature or not, each year!

I just wonder if those critters aren't something else that mutated into another critter because of pollutants, chemicles or other stuff in the environment? :shrug:

Actually, it would. There is no case on record of any species mutating into another species due to pollution or other similar cause.

Oh, we were talking about new species, of course. I was just being silly, I was just concentrating my efforts on mutations, not necesserily mutations which have caused new species.

Only been dormant 10 months...too early for a

picture.php

:shrug:

most parasites are harmful and it's no reciprocal relationship where the host benefits at all. in fact, there are horrific parasites. this one is an exception in that it doesn't seem to harm the fish.

most parasites are harmful.
Funny, that.

In 2006, the National Health Services allowed Dr. Pritchard to conduct a study with 30 participants, 15 of who received 10 worms each. The test showed that after six weeks, the infected recipients' T-cell, the chemical responsible for the inflammatory response, levels dropped.

http://tnjn.com/2010/apr/16/hookworm-to-help-with-allergie/

So...histamine is a toxic chemical to human intestinal parasites. So these parasites seemed to have evolved a way to lower immune reactivity in the human host.

Therapeutic levels of hookworm infestation.

If they do any broad clinical trials in Houston, I am so there...

Back