Why we sail to Gaza

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
First the Nazi occupiers of Warsaw built a wall around its Jewish ghetto, enclosing 440,000 Jews. Next, they denied nearly all ingress and egress. Then they cut food, fuel and power. They deported and killed increasing numbers numbers of Jews. When the Jewish inhabitants waged armed resistance, they were branded as “terrorists” and ruthlessly destroyed, along with the entire ghetto and all but a few survivors. At each stage, Nazi leaders watched for world reaction. When there was none, they took license to commit greater horrors.

More than ten years ago Israel began building a wall around Gaza, and made it higher and more fortified five years later. Since then, the entry and exit of Palestinians and visitors has dwindled to a trickle. Israel has halted the export of all goods produced in Gaza. Israel withholds Palestinian money used to pay salaries. It ruthlessly attacks and assassinates persons that it accuses of participating in armed resistance that it brands “terrorism,” along with a larger number of civilians that it calls “collateral damage.” Recently, it even refused to allow children’s schoolbooks into Gaza. Israel, too, has paused at each stage to gauge world reaction. Seeing none, it raises the level of misery & suffering for the 1.4 million Palestinian people of Gaza, nearly half of them children.

On Wednesday, September 19, 2007, the Israeli cabinet unanimously decided to authorize sanctions on supplies of electricity, fuel, water and other basic goods and services to the civilian population of Gaza. Having turned the tiny Gaza Strip into a prison where the inmates must fend for themselves, Israel is putting them on half rations and denying them sanitation and even candles to light the darkness imposed by the lack of electricity.

The U.S. government and nearly every candidate for President and Congress have overwhelmingly endorsed Israel’s action. However, a few voices refuse to endorse war crimes. That is why the Free Gaza Movement will take a small group of boats to Gaza in May 2008, and try to enter by sea, the only route that Israel has not walled off. We will carry only food, medicine and visitors wishing to show solidarity. Those visitors will be Israelis, Palestinians, and citizens from all over the world. They will include Catholic priests, nuns, rabbis, imams, Buddhist priests, actors, entertainers, journalists and politicians.

We will not seek Israeli permission because we will not pass through Israeli territory. Although Palestinians in Gaza desperately need relief supplies, they need freedom even more. Our voyage is therefore intended to exercise Palestinian sovereignty by accepting invitations from Palestinian institutions still functioning in Gaza, without clearance from Israeli authorities. We hope to be the first visitors to enter Palestinian territory on Palestinian authority alone.

Raphael Lemkin, the Polish Jewish lawyer, who coined the term genocide in 1943, described it as “...the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. The objectives....would be the disintegration of the political and social institutions, of culture, language, national feelings, religion, and the economic existence of national groups, and the destruction of the personal security, liberty, health, dignity, and even the lives of the individuals belonging to such groups.”

We therefore do not have to believe that Israel will go as far as Nazi Germany to recognize that it is nevertheless committing genocide upon the Palestinian people. The victims of past genocides call upon us to cry out, “Never again!” That is why some of us will sail to Gaza next May, and why all of us must hold Israel accountable for its actions. To do nothing is to tell Israel that the world is once again ready to tolerate crimes against humanity.

(Hedy Epstein is a Jewish Holocaust survivor, living in St. Louis, MO. Dr. Paul Larudee is a piano technician, living in El Cerrito, CA. Both are human rights volunteers, who participate in the Palestinian non-violent resistance movement.)

http://www.theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/why_we_sail_to_gaza/0014672
http://www.freegaza.org

Indifference

The trip seems to face what is perhaps the worst opposition of all, indifference.

Silvia Cattori : Last May you had announced that you were going to sail for Gaza in August, 2007. Why has the date for trip been moved to the spring of 2008?

Greta Berlin : There are three main reasons.

First. We moved the date, because we simply don’t have the money to buy the boats that we need.

Second, we realized that many of the logistics such as registering the boat, getting insurance for the trip and finding a committed captain and crew were going to take longer.

And, of course, the most important reason to move the date is because finally we decided to coordinate the action with the 60th anniversary of the “Nakba”.

• • •​

Silvia Cattori : What do you say to those Jewish groups who are saying this project is "anti-Semitic" and you should concentrate on going to Darfur or other areas instead of picking on Israel?

Hedy Epstein : The American Jewish community is already doing a good job of handling the situation in Darfur by ’donating money’. They project their guilt onto those of us who are advocating for peace and justice for the Palestinians instead of owning up to what is being done in our (Jewish) names. Projects like Darfur are primarily run by Zionist organizations who want to sidetrack the real issue of Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians.

Greta Berlin : Listen, we Americans fund this occupation of Palestine. We send Israel $10 million a DAY to occupy, kill, starve, humiliate and drive out a native population in favor of white European colonists. We have a moral obligation to concentrate on Israel, because we have been Israel’s primary enabler in this tragedy.

Silvia Cattori : What is your next move now to surmount the obstacles to completing this project?

Greta Berlin : We’re doing everything we can to publicize the project and to raise money for the boats. We need close to $250’000 to buy at least two or three of them, and, in the space of about two months, we have collected close to $30’000.

(SilviaCattori.net)

Frankly, it puzzles me. I mean, on the one hand, I don't doubt that the hard rhetoric makes people nervous about donating to the effort. But where did they simply blow their calculations?

I mean, this all sounds idealistic, and is the kind of stunt that I appreciate specifically for such idealistic symbolism. But I'm struck that around the time they expected to leave, they're still two hundred thousand dollars short of having the boats.

I mean, the boats seem to be a fundamental consideration. I just have a hard time figuring out what kind of boats they're expecting to use. US$250,000 doesn't actually buy a whole lot that doesn't need serious investments of either time or money to refit and prepare for the task at hand. Three of these things? We're looking at 30-foot cruising yachts here. Well, okay ... I just looked up a 2004 Catalina 35' sloop. A cruising boat. $139,900. I mean, a 1984 Cat 30' sloop runs $30,000. But for something like this, you'd spend a lot of time and money making sure a 23 year old boat is safe. Fixing boats is a pain in the ass. Oh, here's a 1982 Hunter 54', a bargain at $99k. And the tragedy of it all is that these boats would have to be stripped out to make room for supplies. A 1985 Frers 15m racing boat, $95k, but that's a worse idea than stripping out a cruising yacht. Either time or money; getting a boat ready will cost them one or another, and there's no way they're getting three new boats for $250k. Food, medicine, and visitors?

This is a fine idea. I applaud the demonstration aspect. But ...

... holy shit ... am I really looking at a 656' (200m) yacht for a quarter-billion?

At any rate, power yachts are even worse. I know next to nothing about commercial boats ....

Did they just not realize what they were getting themselves into?

Silvia Cattori : If, for some reasons, this project would not materialize?

Hedy Epstein : If this would happen – what we do not believe - we would give the collected money to humanitarian projects in Gaza. There will, alas, be no lack of projects to fund as long as the world continues to starve the population of Gaza.

(ibid)

Notes:

Cattori, Silvia. "We Are Committed to Sailing to Gaza - Ahoy!" SilviaCattori.net. 12 August, 2007. See http://www.silviacattori.net/article284.html

The trip seems to face what is perhaps the worst opposition of all, indifference.

The usual fate of most all high-sounding, idealistic, psycho-babble bullshit ideas for saving the world or part of it.

Did they just not realize what they were getting themselves into?

It's the usual format for those idealists who make grandiose claims and dream grandiose dreams, .....then find that reality is something they didn't consider or think of.

Baron Max

Baron Max said:

The usual fate of most all high-sounding, idealistic, psycho-babble bullshit ideas for saving the world or part of it.

I find it interesting that people are so afraid of the Palestinian issue that they will grossly exaggerate something like this in order to continue to ignore it.

It's the usual format for those idealists who make grandiose claims and dream grandiose dreams, .....then find that reality is something they didn't consider or think of.

On the one hand, the rise and fall of Bush the Younger lends credence to that notion. To the other, though, when the idea of "saving the world" doesn't involve killing people, why are the idealists left to figure it out? Maybe it's because the so-called realists are just bloodthirsty?

On the day that the Iranians seized the American embassy in Tehran and held Americans hostage on what is, technically, American soil, America's traditional ignorance-based indifference toward Islam took a sharp turn toward hostility. On 9/11, that hostility became a defining attribute of American culture. While many of us are more enlightened than the majority, there is no way that Americans, as a people, are going to lift a finger to help Muslims in trouble.

A joke that was common enough to be printed in an American comic strip--more than 20 years ago:

Q: How many Arabs would you sacrifice just to make America a little bit safer?

A: All of them!

I find it interesting that people are so afraid of the Palestinian issue that they will grossly exaggerate something like this in order to continue to ignore it.

It's impossible to ignore the Palestinian issue ....they keep blowing up and killing innocent Israeli women and children!! I find it difficult to believe, Tiassa, that you'd approve of such acts.

Maybe it's because the so-called realists are just bloodthirsty?

Yeah, like the Palestinians, the Taliban, al-Queda, the other Muslim terrorists of the world. Fighting people like that with gentle words and nice smiles is a bit ...idealistic, ain't it? Or do you propose that we all just surrender to their demands and bow before them?

Baron Max

Baron Max said:

It's impossible to ignore the Palestinian issue ....they keep blowing up and killing innocent Israeli women and children!! I find it difficult to believe, Tiassa, that you'd approve of such acts.

I'm not so simplistic as to ignore the fact of foreign occupation. Of course, it matters none that I disapprove of killing innocent Israeli women and children. After all, if you're an Israeli and kill enough innocent Palestinian women and children, you get to be Prime Minister.

Fighting people like that with gentle words and nice smiles is a bit ...idealistic, ain't it? Or do you propose that we all just surrender to their demands and bow before them?

Well, in the end, guns and bombs won't settle a damn thing. Additionally, it is neither useful nor noble to complain about the symptoms while going out of one's way to feed the disease.

On the day that the Iranians seized the American embassy in Tehran and held Americans hostage on what is, technically, American soil, America's traditional ignorance-based indifference toward Islam took a sharp turn toward hostility. On 9/11, that hostility became a defining attribute of American culture. While many of us are more enlightened than the majority, there is no way that Americans, as a people, are going to lift a finger to help Muslims in trouble.

A joke that was common enough to be printed in an American comic strip--more than 20 years ago:

Q: How many Arabs would you sacrifice just to make America a little bit safer?

A: All of them!

Considering how many death squads the US has used to destroy societies in innumerable countries, not to mention unilateral invasions causing the deaths of "we don't do body counts" civilians, harping on the kidnapping and release of Americans in a country they subjected to the Shah for 25 years seems rather ironic.

On the day that the Iranians seized the American embassy in Tehran and held Americans hostage on what is, technically, American soil, America's traditional ignorance-based indifference toward Islam took a sharp turn toward hostility. On 9/11, that hostility became a defining attribute of American culture.
The Palestinians dancing in the street on Sept 11 didn't help their cause either. Up to that point, I had no opinion on the Palestinian issue. But those bastards dancing in the street earned Israel a blank check in my book.

Trading blank checks profits nobody

Madanthonywayne said:

But those bastards dancing in the street earned Israel a blank check in my book.

It may have been tasteless, but what would you do if you heard that the people bankrolling the slaughter of your children just got kicked in the sac?

The problem I have with the Israel-Palestine conflict is that I could probably deal better with the Israeli method except for the fact that (A) my nation is bankrolling it, and (B) we do so damned much to pretend it isn't happening. Of course the slaughter of innocents is repugnant, but these are the terms of that war, and the United States refuses to hold both parties to account.

Think of it this way: there's a bit by Mark Steel about the state and context of modern warfare:

Now there's a pretense that as we're the good guys, we do war cleanly, because it's traded in by politicians and accountants who assure you their arms dealing is all done in good taste. Like when they said they were surprised the Israelis had used British Centurion tanks against the Palestinians "contrary to their assurances". What did they think the Israelis were going to use a tank for, rolling loads of pastry at once?

(Mark Steel Lectures, #302, "Hannibal")

I mean, really: When I learned about the conflict as a child, the general outlook was that for some reason a bunch of people decided to pick on some Jews for no good reason. I'm still amazed at how frightened people are to consider the effects of Israeli bad faith, terrorism, and mass murder. As an American, learning about the history of the Israel-Palestine conflict more often than not involves discovering yet another Israeli sin of considerable importance that nobody ever talks about. That Palestinian acts aren't so shocking to many of us is the result of conditioning aimed at casting the Palestinians as senseless berserkers. In other words, for many Americans, the Palestinians are already lower than shite when we start learning about the conflict. They can't fall any farther in our esteem. The Israelis, though? Given the image Israel and her supporters have worked so hard to project, what truth there is to be found in history is a shocking contrast.

Yeah. It was offensive to see people cheering the September slaughter. But, well ... shit, dude ... I understand. And the fact that such a context exists at all is at least as repugnant as the cheering and dancing.

What did anyone earn us celebrating the execution of Saddam Hussein, or hailing the chaos in Baghdad as a "mission accomplished"? What, another kick in the sac? Great. Maybe next time we can spare the firemen. Or will they be included on the blank check our enemies have earned by our repugnance?

The Palestinians dancing in the street on Sept 11 didn't help their cause either. Up to that point, I had no opinion on the Palestinian issue. But those bastards dancing in the street earned Israel a blank check in my book.

They could have been dancing on the street on some other date. How do you know the coverage was on Sept 11?

Besides, as you said, you never had an opinion on them before that. Although it is your countrys aid to Israel that sustains their occupation (not to mention the US veto of every UN resolution).

In their place, what would you think of a country that paid to keep you, your children, your family and friends, your people in occupation?

They could have been dancing on the street on some other date. How do you know the coverage was on Sept 11?

You're actually that ignorant of the happenings on and after that horrific event?

Besides, as you said, you never had an opinion on them before that. Although it is your countrys aid to Israel that sustains their occupation.

Don't you think that a nation, any nation, should do what it thinks is in it's own best interest? Or do you think, for example, that India should do what's in the best interest of, say, Bangladesh and Pakistan?

Baron Max

You're actually that ignorant of the happenings on and after that horrific event?

You actually think you are that knowledgeable about the Palestinians?
Don't you think that a nation, any nation, should do what it thinks is in it's own best interest? Or do you think, for example, that India should do what's in the best interest of, say, Bangladesh and Pakistan?

Baron Max

Yes of course, but in what nation's best interest is it to torture and kill people from other nations? What would the world be if everyone began to think like that about their own interests?

You actually think you are that knowledgeable about the Palestinians?

Sure. Palestinians are those evil people in the Middle East that are trying to kill all of the Israelis with rockets and suicide bombs and kidnappings.

Yes of course, but in what nation's best interest is it to torture and kill people from other nations?

It's not for you to say, Sam. If the nation decides that it's interests are best served by torturing and killing a few people, so be it. You, personally, don't have to like it, but it's not your place to judge. ..well, unless you're the ruler of the Earth or something like that. Are you?

What would the world be if everyone began to think like that about their own interests?

They do, Sam. It's just that you might not know about it. In the USA, we have a press that seems to dig out the worst of the worst and gleefully print it out for all to read ...even if there's no proof of it, only speculation.

I've read many pretty nasty things about the happenings in India, for example, but no one ever talks about it, no one ever prints it in the papers. The police shooting people, for example. So it just keeps happening ...you know it, and I know it. So don't act so high n' mighty.

Baron Max

I've read many pretty nasty things about the happenings in India, for example, but no one ever talks about it, no one ever prints it in the papers. The police shooting people, for example. So it just keeps happening ...you know it, and I know it. So don't act so high n' mighty.

Baron Max

1. if no one prints it in papers or talks about it, how do you read it?

2. is it right of the police to be shooting the people?

1. if no one prints it in papers or talks about it, how do you read it?

I meant in the western press ....because no one gives a shit about India or Indians!

2. is it right of the police to be shooting the people?

Well, the Indian police do it all the time, so I guess in India it's perfectly acceptable. The Mexican police do it, too, and no one says a word about it in the western press. But if an American cops only tazers a person, the entire world hears about it the next minute, and it's discussed over and over on the Internet ...until the next sensational event occurs.

Baron Max

Umm maybe they do discuss it there too, but not in English

But you never bring it to the sciforums for discussion, do you. Why? Ashamed of your country's attitudes and actions?

And yet you constantly discuss the Palestinian issue with vigor and anger and hatred of the Israelis. And yet you discuss problems in the USA with vigor and anger and hatred of the Americans.

See why I think you're a paid propagandist? Paid by some organization supporting the Palestinians? Yeah, I think so.

Baron Max

But you never bring it to the sciforums for discussion, do you. Why? Ashamed of your country's attitudes and actions?

And yet you constantly discuss the Palestinian issue with vigor and anger and hatred of the Israelis. And yet you discuss problems in the USA with vigor and anger and hatred of the Americans.

See why I think you're a paid propagandist? Paid by some organization supporting the Palestinians? Yeah, I think so.

Baron Max

Ah what do you think of the present situation in Gaza Baron?

Back