Why the god argument is futile

RoyLennigan

Registered Senior Member
I know some of you are going to say that I am just arguing semantics, but perhaps semantics are the key to understanding why we just don't understand anything.

God exists. When you open your mouth and speak the word, god exists as a wave travelling outwards, affecting each person or thing it comes in contact with along the way. But then, so does any word. And each word has its unique effects, especially towards humans.

God doesn't exist. With no exposure to the idea or visible relationship attributable to the common idea of "god", there is no god. For whatever god may be, it is something different to that entity that has never heard of god.

The word God and its aliases are probably the most powerful words in any human language. It has the power to manifest wars, or bring people together. By far the majority of the peoples of the earth believed (or knew) the existence of God. It is this one mysterious idea associated with our word "god" that swayed the actions of all major civilizations as far as we can remember.

And yet the only definitions of this term are vague and easily manipulated to one's subjective view. God is all-powerful; god is the creater of the universe; god made us in his own image, etc... The real definition for the term "god" lies in each person's subjective association to the word. In linguistic essence, God is everything that comes to mind when it is spoken. But it is anything that comes to mind in 6 billion peoples' heads. Even if you don't believe in a god, you still are affected by or affect its existence, however that may be.

This all ties in with any possible physical manifestation of "god". Our words are just an extension of the many phsical relationships among things and entities of the universe. Just like a fractal develops finer and finer detail, the evolution of our language allows for more complex and varied relationships. Perhaps we created god. Or perhaps we are the first entities to touch upon the observation of that which might be objectively associated to the subjective term "god".

My personal view is that everything has a course, but that course is based on probabilities in a sense that we will never figure out. They are not probabilities in the sense that quantum physics speaks of, but almost. If there is a god, it would be a set of information, that is all. This set of information would be all we have to formulate thoughts and make decisions. But our very being would be part of this information in the first place.

It is very hard to explain in such a limited language. This is why we disagree. This is why we fight.

I know some of you are going to say that I am just arguing semantics, but perhaps semantics are the key to understanding why we just don't understand anything.

God exists. When you open your mouth and speak the word, god exists as a wave travelling outwards, affecting each person or thing it comes in contact with along the way. But then, so does any word. And each word has its unique effects, especially towards humans.

God doesn't exist. With no exposure to the idea or visible relationship attributable to the common idea of "god", there is no god. For whatever god may be, it is something different to that entity that has never heard of god.

The word God and its aliases are probably the most powerful words in any human language. It has the power to manifest wars, or bring people together. By far the majority of the peoples of the earth believed (or knew) the existence of God. It is this one mysterious idea associated with our word "god" that swayed the actions of all major civilizations as far as we can remember.

And yet the only definitions of this term are vague and easily manipulated to one's subjective view. God is all-powerful; god is the creater of the universe; god made us in his own image, etc... The real definition for the term "god" lies in each person's subjective association to the word. In linguistic essence, God is everything that comes to mind when it is spoken. But it is anything that comes to mind in 6 billion peoples' heads. Even if you don't believe in a god, you still are affected by or affect its existence, however that may be.

This all ties in with any possible physical manifestation of "god". Our words are just an extension of the many phsical relationships among things and entities of the universe. Just like a fractal develops finer and finer detail, the evolution of our language allows for more complex and varied relationships. Perhaps we created god. Or perhaps we are the first entities to touch upon the observation of that which might be objectively associated to the subjective term "god".

My personal view is that everything has a course, but that course is based on probabilities in a sense that we will never figure out. They are not probabilities in the sense that quantum physics speaks of, but almost. If there is a god, it would be a set of information, that is all. This set of information would be all we have to formulate thoughts and make decisions. But our very being would be part of this information in the first place.

It is very hard to explain in such a limited language. This is why we disagree. This is why we fight.

Interesting post.

What if the real "truth" is that we just do not know whether there is a God or not. What if we decide to love each other and treat each other with respect anyway. Not because we have to, but because we decide to. Because it is right!

If I become humble enough to admit that I do not know something, how likely is it that I will be willing to fight over it?

Thanks Anyway!

Well, it's a good point. If you take a step back and look at verbal language it really is a clumsy way to transmit ideas. Everyone has different internal dictionaries to equate meaning to words, especially when it comes to subjective topics like religion. If your dictionary doesn't match mine the idea doesn't make it across intact.

Likewise differences in our dictionaries lead us to attribute meaning differently to the world around us. Where one person sees God another may see probability; both are describing the same phenomenon but both attach a different meaning to it.

yeah exactly right,everyone wants to prove THEIR GOD is the best,the right one,while all it is just IMAGINARY something.
if GOD was real dont you think ALL people would came to the same conclusion and worship the same god?

If I become humble enough to admit that I do not know something, how likely is it that I will be willing to fight over it?

Thanks Anyway!
Exactly. And yet religious people across the world have the audacity to think that they know--or can interpret from a book--the full truth, which is ridiculous. You cannot surmise the truth of the state of the universe with simple sentences, even if you write thousands of pages of them.

But by now they're too scared to think anything else. Perhaps the real reason why we believe in a god is because we do not know what comes after death for us. But this problem stems from us not being able to understand our basic selves--how we are aware. If we do not know, then the answer is infinite, and humans are deathly afraid of the infinite.

if GOD was real dont you think ALL people would came to the same conclusion and worship the same god?
No. Humans are too limited to all come to the same conclusion, unless they are forced to by powers greater than them. They will, however, accept a generalized compromize for the sake of psychological comfort--this is why religion exists.

If god is omnipotent, has no desire, and is the force of all creation, then god is no different than what we label as an undirected force. But this revelation does not in any way detract from the mystery or power of that force.

Back