Why so anti-Judeo-Christian?

Starman Avatar

Registered Member
This thread is not about my religious beliefs, which are entirely irrelevant to this discussion. I am an aherent to no religion in the traditional sense.
I have noticed, however, that there is much more anti-Judeo-Christian sentiment than other world religions. Why not anti-Islam, or anti-Hindu or Buddist. Indeed, many of the so called athiests that I know are fascinated by Eastern or "Pagan" religions.
Which leads me to my point. Most of these individuals are not rejecting religion, they are merely rejecting the common form within their society. Would it cause a stir if Joe Ordinary from New England stood and proclaimed his disbelief in the Brahma?
Similarily, would Muhammed from Saudi Arabia upsent many people in his world by renouncing Jehovah?
This has as much to do with society, and disenfranchisement with one's home culture, as it does with religion. Be careful to recognize the differance of casting aside one faith for another.
Humans are barbaric, cruel and conflicted. Any religion or science or technology, whether you deem it manifestations of diety or simply progress, will in some manner posses those attributes or demonstrate those qualities.

.maybe because christians have been the biggest bastards in known history and some continue to be like it.;)

of course muslins, hindu etc are not so much better, but christians are closer and I doubt we had a good discussion if all were bashing Muslins. There are not so many muslins here and even fewer hindu (I think I know of two).

cheers

Demographics

I have noticed, however, that there is much more anti-Judeo-Christian sentiment than other world religions. Why not anti-Islam, or anti-Hindu or Buddist. Indeed, many of the so called athiests that I know are fascinated by Eastern or "Pagan" religions.
Demographics. As you can see, most of our posters fall within the Western experience most generally touched by the Judeo-Christian experience. For many of the atheists, agnostics, and Pagans, the J/C experience is where they came from. It forms the primary religious data. I would also say that the sentiment regarding Judeo-Christianity at Sciforums is a fascinating development. Have you been through the Archives, yet? It's an amazing progression over time. So there's another point worth considering: the J/C advocates ... well ... they don't fare well in a debate where faith isn't the deciding factor. I think you'll find that breakdown of communication and its resultant flare-ups contributory to the growing sentiment against such religious faith within the topics and posts.

In other words, sometimes it's more about each other than the paradigms represented by the debaters.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Back