Why is modern society so mechanical?

pluto2

Banned
Banned
Why is modern society so mechanical and lacking emotions?

People behave very mechanically and it's like they don't have any kind of emotions or empathy anymore. All I see around me is people wanting to make as much money as possible.

So why do people behave like emotionless machines these days and no longer as human beings?

A vague first attempt to address the question

I would suggest it is an effect of these modern times but that's also a vague answer.

Something about modernization, automation, and expectation. As productivity becomes the demand, human beings adapt.

Anthropologically speaking, humans come together in societies because it serves our better interests. But, as I ask of "economy", so I might say of "society": Is society an outcome that serves our better interests, or is society a cause that we exist to serve?

Obviously, society cannot exist without the individuals contributing to its cohesion, security, and advancement. But have our priorities shifted so much that instead of coming together in society for our better interests, we now exist to serve the needs of society?

When people assert that state is replacing God, this is the question they're reaching for. Society is supposed to serve the species, not vice versa. What you're noting might well be a slow process reversal of that principle.

And that's as close as I can get.

People behave very mechanically and it's like they don't have any kind of emotions or empathy anymore. All I see around me is people wanting to make as much money as possible.

So why do people behave like emotionless machines these days and no longer as human beings?

The Illuminati did it.

Love.

I guess where you live you don't have many people that you know who have emotions that you know about. I think there are many people around you that do have emotions but try to keep them to themselves because dumping problems on others only adds to their own distress and can lead them into not wanting you around them for doing so. You look at others as "machines" only because you see yourself like that and one day you might just change yourself then you will be able to see a better picture of reality.

Because it's too big. On the surface of a lake, you see waves, not water molecules. You can't see how the water molecules love, hate, suffer and grieve.
If you think a society lacks emotion, it's because you are outside of that society and unable to see the emotions - or perhaps to understand the language in which the emotions are expressed. Human beings always feel and relate, but every culture (and even sub-groups and communities within a culture) has a different emotional vocabulary.

When and where did the people around you last appear to have empathy? How was it expressed? Perhaps you are comparing one community to the standards and style of another. Or maybe the interpersonal relations around you were never really much better, but your dissatisfaction with now induces nostalgia that makes the past look better.

Back