Why don't Jews still sacrifice?

answers

Registered Senior Member
Something that I've always wondered. In the Old Testament Jews sacrificed in order to pay for their sins, they sacrificed the choicest of their flock in order to temporarily pay for their sins. As I understand they looked ahead to the Mesiah who would be the ultimate sacrifice, though I'm looking at this from a Christian point of view so I'm sure it is different. But why don't Jews still sacrifice lambs in order to cover their sins seeing as how they don't beleive Jesus was the Mesiah. Because Jesus heralded the end of the sacrificial system. (again christian point of view there). So how do Jews modernise or adapt that sacrificial view into their lives? Because the only God inspired modernisation of the Old Testament is the New Testament, and Jews don't Beleive the New Testament, so they must modernise it in an devinely uninspired way? Or am I on the wrong path of thinking?

Could someone please help me with this one, my Old Testament knowledge is lacking very much.

Thanks

CyA's

Don't they?

No BBQs?

I just assumed they still had a religious BBQ? That's all they were afterall - a time to cook a nice lamb and enjoy the day. Get the rich to share a bit o meat with the less fortunate.

That's a modern way of looking at it :p Not too sure if it is correct, but I know they didn't waste the sacrificed lamb etc... But I know next to nothing on the subject, so if anyone could help me out that'd be appreciated.

Thanks

Answers, the solution is very simple.

There is no Temple. The Temple - Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem and it's posterity - was the only place allowed for what we think of as 'sacrifices'.

No Temple, no sacrifice.

So how do Jewish people atone for their sins? Doesn't the destruction of the temple speak to Jewish people of the abolishment of the old law sacrificial system?

Judaism has a slightly different view on the subject of sin.

People can atone for sins through words and deeds, without intermediaries, through prayer, repentance, and tzedakah (dutiful giving of charity), if accompanied by a sincere decision to cease unacceptable actions and if appropriate amends to others are honestly undertaken, always providing a "way back" to God.Judaism holds that no human being is perfect, and all people have sinned many times. However certain states of sin (i.e. avon or cheit) does not condemn a person to damnation; only one or two truly grievous sins lead to anything approaching the Biblical conception of hell. The Biblical and rabbinic conception of God is that of a creator who tempers justice with mercy.

Yom Kippur, ("Day of Atonement") is centered on redemption; a day of atonement and fasting for sins committed individually and communally during the previous year. Many consider this the most important Jewish holiday. Yom Kippur is both a solemn day marked by self-scrutiny, when Jews should "afflict" themselves (by fasting), and a celebratory day, as Jews reflect on God's mercy.

(wikipedia)

Nearly all religions have some form of "sacrifice." Even the various cults of Christianity.

The term "sacrifice" to the modern Westerner usually invokes images of slain animals or even people (virgin sacrifice, etc), but in religious context it means giving up something that is valuable to you.

Sacrifice as it came to be in judeo-christian cults originated from Greek and Near Eastern cult practices. In the Greek cults, those who were able brought forth their sacrifices of livestock to the temple's sacrificial altar, usually found downwind between the sanctuary and the temenos (a demarcation that separated the sacred from the secular - usually a low wall). There, the meat animal was slain, the meat cut and distributed to the populace (with the best cuts going to the priestly class) and the remains burnt to offer to the gods through the smoke.

Little changed with Near Eastern cultures in Mesopotamia, sacrifices were still conducted and even Noah gave a burnt offering in the Noachian myth (one must wonder which pair he broke up for that!)

The key thing for any sacrifice, however, is that the animal must be of good stock. It couldn't be the old, decrepit cow that you just wanted to get rid of. It should be an animal that wouldn't be unruly at the altar and be one that would be a sincere "sacrifice" to part with. This criterion finds its way into the Abrahamic myth where he was to "sacrifice" his son. Slaying Isaac at the altar for his gods would not only have given Abraham and Sarah grief, but it would have robbed him of future heirs and a source of income as all male family members were in ancient Mesopotamia. It would have been a sacrifice on more than just the level of family ties.

Contemporary Christians are called upon to make "sacrifices" for their cults in the form of missionary work, tithing, volunteer work, etc. They all bow before the dead guy on the stick with the knowledge that Jesus allowed his capture (committing suicide?), thereby sacrificing himself for the "sins of mankind" only to come back as a zombie later.

answers said:
what's that?

Answers,

As a Christian, you should really make it a point to know the Jewish holidays, Holy days, beliefs, etc. Number 1, because as a Christian you should be reading your Bible, which is mostly Old Testament. Number 2, because all Christians are called to spread the Gospel, and you can never hope to even have a conversation with a Jew about your faith if you show no interest in understanding theirs, especially when yours is just about entirely based on theirs plus some.

-AntonK

Answers:
“Could someone please help me with this one, my Old Testament knowledge is lacking very much.”

* `Struth me lad, how can you run a car without gas? It ALL started with the OT. You are doing it all the wrong way round. First the OT then the NT study. Don’t believe what your Baptist minister is telling you about not worrying about the OT. Indeed the OT can place a large question mark on the validity of Jesus and the NT. Remember, Jesus is God. The god of the OT. Compare the two. Heh.

I talked with a student rabbi on Monday, and I got from the discussion that once upon a time a bunch of rabbis got together to reform the Jewish religion. The reformed religion, called Rabbinic Judaism, has a smattering of the old stuff, such as how you shouldn't eat pigs and bats and such; however, other stuff was done away with. My guess is that sacrificing animals was done away with.

the reformation you are talking about was more in line with "common sense" living, athelwulf.

one of the strongest tenets of judaism is to live by the laws of the land you live in. not many nations allow you to sacrifice animals (at least in the western world) anymore. that has ALOT to do with the absence of the practice today.
if the temple were rebuilt, israel would allow it, guaranteed.

Back