why do cats smell eachothers poopholes?

s0meguy

Worship me or suffer eternally
Valued Senior Member
We have this new cat who's only a few months old and an older cat of over 4 years. The younger cat follows the older cat around the house all day, always being in the same room. Also... the younger cat is female. The younger cat keeps smelling the older cats poophole for some reason... why?

edit: heh... i said 'a few years old'.. but its a few months old

Last edited:
`
It's a feline aphrodesiac ?

You're giving the older cat better treats, and the younger one is trying to figure out where the "good stuff" is coming from and/or what it is ?

Cats are all basically insane ?
(Dogs do this also, so it must be a trans-species madness which we poor Rebel Apes have long since shed in favor of more "complex" neuroses)

Follow suit... perhaps you will gain some insight.
LoL

It's a feline aphrodesiac ?
i was thinking of that... but the younger cat is much younger, only a few months actually.

You're giving the older cat better treats, and the younger one is trying to figure out where the "good stuff" is coming from and/or what it is ?
so when your daddy expresses more 'care' for your brother, you go smell your brothers anus all the time?

and btw, the younger cat is probably getting more attention then the older cat... especially by my family members

A friend of mine had a speculation that they sniff each other's excrement as a way of keeping tabs on the health of the other cat/dog. A sniff = "how are you today?"

But one thing I don't understand... my family has a year-and-a-half old Jack Russell terrier, female, good little dog, and recently my family had some company over (while i was home that weekend) who brought their black lab, also a female. The dogs got along alright, but one thing that was wierding me out was that if the lab put her nuzzle anywhere remotely close to the abdomen of my dog, she'd raise her leg real high and let the lab sniff her crotch. I mean, what the heck?!

A friend of mine had a speculation that they sniff each other's excrement as a way of keeping tabs on the health of the other cat/dog. A sniff = "how are you today?"

But one thing I don't understand... my family has a year-and-a-half old Jack Russell terrier, female, good little dog, and recently my family had some company over (while i was home that weekend) who brought their black lab, also a female. The dogs got along alright, but one thing that was wierding me out was that if the lab put her nuzzle anywhere remotely close to the abdomen of my dog, she'd raise her leg real high and let the lab sniff her crotch. I mean, what the heck?!
hey, nothing wrong with a li'll girl on girl action.

someguy:
so when your daddy expresses more 'care' for your brother, you go smell your brothers anus all the time?

oh yes, I've heard it's manditory in redneck areas.

Most animals have far more complex odor reception and interpretaion senses than we do. They can tell exactly what they've been eating. To a certain extent it's a sign of status, "Hey Bubbele, your people are still buying that cheap stuff at Wal-Mart. Guess they don't love you." But it's also communication about hunting, "Dude, where did you find an ostrich around here and how did you kill it?"

Fraggle is right, they also don't have the same kind of associations with certain smells that most people do.

When I was a preschooler I asked my father about dogs sniffing the rear end of other dogs. He gave me the correct answer.
  • Once upon a time there was a royal family of dogs. The prince from that royal family was lost. A reward was posted: Any dog who found the prince would eat steak at every meal for the rest of his life and have other dog luxuries.

It was known that the prince's s**t smelled like French perfume. Dogs sniff because they are hoping to find the prince and get their reward.
I suppose that a special cat from some royal family was similarly lost and there is a reward for finding that missing royal cat.

The younger cat keeps smelling the older cats poophole for some reason... why?
Not saying you're a worse poophole, but maybe the cat doesn't find you as attractive?
wink.gif

This is the fact: Many species of Canidae and Felidae (i.e. wolves and cats) that group together, or group in packs, and others, will first smell each others' scent from front-to-back, and especially the strong scent given off from around the anal region, to get to know each other. Normally, once this "ritual behavior" is accomplished, and if they then continue to be grouped together, they will no longer do this.

I like to smell pussies myself, I just love the way the warm fur feels against my face and when I stroke it, kind of rumbles with satisfaction.

cats

Cats mell each other it this way for a reason.One, it reassures the sniffing cat who the other really is,Two, it tells the sex, what it has been eating and wether it might be in esteres at that time.It is also a form of submission to the prescence of the other cat.

Machiaventa:D :D :D

Cats mell each other it this way for a reason.One, it reassures the sniffing cat who the other really is,Two, it tells the sex, what it has been eating and wether it might be in esteres at that time.It is also a form of submission to the prescence of the other cat.

Machiaventa:D :D :D

Nice post. It certainly is of prime importance to find out if she's in heat.

Back