Why Christians reject Mormonism?

Searching for Truth
Valued Senior Member
Well this is an honest question.

What arguments do Christians have to reject Mormonism? I'm not a Mormon so don't go attacking me :rolleyes:

Peace be unto you ;)

It's based on a brand new text created recently. Everyone knows holy things only happened in the past.

Death, horror, destruction, and tragedy to you. ;)

Well this is an honest question.

What arguments do Christians have to reject Mormonism? I'm not a Mormon so don't go attacking me :rolleyes:

Peace be unto you ;)

For the same reason that some Muslims reject the Ahmadiyas

For the same reason that some Muslims reject the Ahmadiyas

I see some parallels but not quite exactly. Muslims believe Muhammad the be the last prophet and they quote the Quran for it which would reject Ahmadiyas claims. Ofcourse there is the interpretation issue but none the less there is a reason.

But I don't see anything in the Bible that Jesus is the last prophet, he actually says a "new comforter" will come, and in more general terms there is nothing about Jesus being the last prophet in the Bible. So Muslims have some reason to reject Ahmadiyas but I fail to see what reason, biblically speaking, Christians have to reject Mormonism.

Peace be unto you ;)

They reject it for the same reason they reject Incest and coveting your neighbours wife and all that other stuff that goes along with it. Because it is not the cultrual norm if it were they would be first in line I am sure.

They reject it for the same reason they reject Incest and coveting your neighbours wife and all that other stuff that goes along with it. Because it is not the cultrual norm if it were they would be first in line I am sure.

Excuse me.... could you explain this?

Peace be unto you ;)

Because it's bullshit invented by a known con-man, with no scientific validity whatsoever?

Excuse me.... could you explain this?

Peace be unto you ;)

If it was mainstream to have many wives then christians would be there just like anybody else. But it is not socially exceptible so therefore they do not subscribe to that part of the faith. Cause lets be honest with our selves here if we did indeed come from 1 mating pair there would have to be incest and multiple wives involved here to make a viable breeding stock.

They believe their own nonsense for some reason, I guess because it's old. I'm an atheist.

Violence be unto thee ;)

If it was mainstream to have many wives then christians would be there just like anybody else. But it is not socially exceptible so therefore they do not subscribe to that part of the faith. Cause lets be honest with our selves here if we did indeed come from 1 mating pair there would have to be incest and multiple wives involved here to make a viable breeding stock.

I do agree that Mormons have polygamy but so does the OT, the NT has no direct verdict against polygamy.

Secondly I don't think incest is necessarily an outcome of polygamy, that would only be that almost everyone was polygamous, I would doubt that women today would allow or even consider a polygamous marriage so the percentage of polygamous marriage couldn't possibly be large enough to require the society to adopt incest as a means to "make a viable breeding stock".

Peace be unto you ;)

I do agree that Mormons have polygamy but so does the OT, the NT has no direct verdict against polygamy.

Secondly I don't think incest is necessarily an outcome of polygamy, that would only be that almost everyone was polygamous, I would doubt that women today would allow or even consider a polygamous marriage so the percent of polygamous marriage couldn't possibly be large enough to require the society to adopt incest.

Peace be unto you ;)

Hense the social norm they follow what ever is exceptible for the social norm.

Hense the social norm they follow what ever is exceptible for the social norm.

Well that isn't exactly a reason from a religious perspective. I mean surely they must also consider that for the Jews, Trinity was not the "norm" either so if early Christianity was truly trinitarian (which I doubt) then they must admit they were going against the norms of what one calls "monotheism." So judging by the norms isn't really such a great argument, as usually most religions are against the norm initially (even their own).

Peace be unto you ;)

Not quite true, in this life Mormon men are limited to one wife. The restriction does not apply in heaven.

Many Christians beleive Mormons to be apostate because they do not recognize Joesph Smith as a prophet of God. The early church, including Smith, practiced polygamy...not incest. Smith's neighbors were none to happy with the polygamy practices either.

There are also various sects of Mormons. After the death of Joesph Smith the church split over disagreement on church leadership. Some thought leadership should be hereditary and some felt it should be a position elected by apostles of the Church. The later became what is now known as the Mormon Church or LDS.

Other splits occured after the abolition of polygamy.

Many Christians beleive Mormons to be apostate because they do not recognize Joesph Smith as a prophet of God. The early church, including Smith, practiced polygamy...not incest. Smith's neighbors were none to happy with the polygamy practices either.

There are also various sects of Mormons. After the death of Joesph Smith the church split over disagreement on church leadership. Some thought leadership should be hereditary and some felt it should be a position elected by apostles of the Church. The later became what is now known as the Mormon Church or LDS.

Other splits occured after the abolition of polygamy.

Well if the founder Joesph Smith practiced polygamy (in this life) then why did you say that they are only allowed 1 and that restriction is lifted in heaven?

I was asking for a source for your assertion.

Peace be unto you ;)

Well if the founder Joesph Smith practiced polygamy (in this life) then why did you say that they are only allowed 1 and that restriction is lifted in heaven?

I was asking for a source for your assertion.

Peace be unto you ;)

Well you see The United States Army showed up one day out side of Salt Lake City, and sort of forced a revelation that the practice of polygamy should be rendered only for the after life and not in this life. This change made cohabitation with other Americans much more liveable. Folks back then or even now in the US do not like the practice of polygamy.

In the after life or heaven, men are allowed multiple wives. They belive that men and women can meet and marry in the afterlife and have children as they do here on earth. Now men in the church do not talk about polygamy in the afterlife with outsiders as it could become contentious on several fronts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith,_Jr.

The other thing that bothers some Christians is that there is an element of secrecy involved...pretty much anything related to temples is secret information and only divulged to those deemed worthy.

Well you see The United States Army showed up one day out side of Salt Lake City, and sort of forced a revelation that the practice of polygamy should be rendered only for the after life and not in this life. This change made cohabitation with other Americans much more liveable. Folks back then or even now in the US do not like the practice of polygamy.

In the after life or heaven, men are allowed multiple wives. They belive that men and women can meet and marry in the afterlife and have children as they do here on earth. Now men in the church do not talk about polygamy in the afterlife with outsiders as it could become contentious on several fronts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith,_Jr.

The other thing that bothers some Christians is that there is an element of secrecy involved...pretty much anything related to temples is secret information and only divulged to those deemed worthy.

Interesting..... but there is nothing against polygamy in the Book of Mormon correct?

Peace be unto you ;)

Some sects wish to remain true to Joseph Smith's original intent, but Mormons these days realize it's not socially acceptable. Ploygamy was nothing more than Joseph Smith's sexual fetish.

Back