Why are you an atheist/theist?

Norsefire

Salam Shalom Salom
Registered Senior Member
I think there are many reasons as to why one would be a theist or atheist. As for a theist, we must look at religion and find out what makes it so attractive. To me, it's quite obvious: the reassurance that "good" always prevails, that heaven is real; another reason why it is popular is becausing it gives meaning and value to people whom otherwise might not find it. For instance, peasants in the middle ages might have found comfort in religion in that it gave them worth as people.

Atheism also, I think, stems from a variety of reasons. There is, of course, the very basic disbelief in God based on scientific grounds. We could also say some atheists are atheists because they do not want to bother making a commitment. Some may be atheists simply to be the "rebels" of society. Others because they know what they do is wrong according to religion so they must reject it in order to re assure themselves. Still others because they just don't want there to be a God.

As for the atheists and theists of sciforums, why are you an atheist or theist?

I think there are many reasons as to why one would be a theist or atheist. As for a theist, we must look at religion and find out what makes it so attractive. To me, it's quite obvious: the reassurance that "good" always prevails,

Interesting interpretation - where do you get that from?

For example look at exodus - the good and benign dictator (I know how much you admire dictaorships Norse) Pharoe, offers the displaced jews a home, state protection and employment, and what do they do? use witchcraft to blight the country with plagues and murder, severley damage their economy, then escape to go on a bloody genocidal rampage of the Sinai and Israel - seems like the bad guys prevailed here - and yet this is one of the most fundamental foundation stories of the Abrahamic religions - hardly an auspicious start!

I am not only an Atheist for scientific reasons, ever since I can remember I've heard of terrible wars being waged on a religious basis. People being killed because of their beliefs or killing in the name of God.

I am not so much opposed to religion due to scientific reasons, frankly at this point in my life whether or not a supernatural being created the Universe doesn't matter much, however I refuse to accept the fact that said being still watches over the world and condemns sinners to hell while granting the virtuous passage into the marbled halls of heaven.

I'm sure if whether or not there was a God was discovered a large part of the conflict in the world would disappear. Like most Atheists if it were discovered that there was indeed a God I would believe and probably pray to him/her. However I'm not sure that most Theists would accept it if it was discovered for certain there was no god.:shrug:

I guess I'd say I'm a theist because I like to have an ulterior motive. e.g. Helping that guy get home wasn't just for the sake of myself, it was to honor God. The more I look at science, the more I believe, because of the strange... orderliness of the various physical laws and such. I'm not your average theist though... I take into consideration a near infinite universe which probably holds multiple sentiences each of them having their own relationship with God(The creator of order from naught).

As for the atheists and theists of sciforums, why are you an atheist or theist?

* I know all positive human claims of 'God's existence are not true.
* I know that human claims of 'God' are naturally rooted in anthropomoprhism.
* I know that the concept of omnipotent life has no more probability of being real than any invention of the human mind.

Back