Why are two religions not ‘isms’

Light Travelling

It's a girl O lord in a flatbed Ford
Registered Senior Member
Why are some religions not ‘isms’. Is it just linguistic form or is there another reason.

Hinduism
Buddhism
Sikhism
Jainism
Judaism
Taoism

Christianity
Islam

Why not Christianism ?????

It's just linguistics. It's not just Christianity and Islam that don't use the "-ism" modifier. Shinto, anyone?

While Neopaganism and Polytheistic Reconstructionism are both -isms, and some of the many religions within its umbrella are too, just as many aren't.
e.g.:
Druidry (though this is called Druidism just as often)
Wicca (though some of its subsets, i.e. Gardnerianism are -isms)
Asatru
Heathenry
Religio Romana
Romuva
Rodnovery

Why are some religions not ‘isms’. Is it just linguistic form or is there another reason.

Hinduism
Buddhism
Sikhism
Jainism
Judaism
Taoism

Christianity
Islam

Why not Christianism ?????

Easy. ism just does not work of the end of Christian or islam

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Well, "Islamism" is in use. You could make a case for "Christianism". It's not unworkable.

Well, "Islamism" is in use.

That's more political and not necessarily religious. Also, I believe the Rastafari faith rejects the "ism," outright. Muslims also reject the term 'Muhammadanism' because it isn't appropriate nor is it accurate. Also, alot of the 'ism' religions do not refer to their faith as such. For example Buddhism is called the Buddha Dharma. Hinduism the Sanatana Dharma. Jainism the Jain Dharma.

It's politico-religious; it doesn't come from nowhere. I would agree to the rest, naturally.

Back