Who's to blame if the other person doesn't become convinced by you?

wynn

˙
Valued Senior Member
If the person you are talking to about religious topics doesn't become convinced that your stance is superior:

whose fault is it?
Yours, theirs, both, noone's, other?

Why would you think of it as a fault?

Clearly the reason they have not been persuaded is that their character, dictated by their complex life history, has considerable inertia that your argument has been insufficient to redirect.

No one's.

What fraction of people have had their viewpoints changed by debate on this forum? Or anywhere?

If the person you are talking to about religious topics doesn't become convinced that your stance is superior:

whose fault is it?

Could be yours, Could be theirs. Or you can both be wrong so the point would be mute anyway.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

whose fault is it?

i'm not convinced that this is the correct approach to a discussion. that you have a superior stance, and it's your job to convince someone. i think a better one might be, to just share honestly. people have different perspectives and motivations for a reason, but i also think we're all similar enough to be able to learn from each other regardless. if we all had the same perspective, there would be nothing to learn in a discussion. realize that people's reactions to you are legitimate, and telling, and it can be your job to figure out what they're telling, regardless of whether you agree.

No one is "superior" when it comes to beliefs. That's all based upon ones own viewpoints and guidance as they were growing up and where they were growing up. Beliefs aren't superior but only different just as humans are all over the world. If you believe that eating flies is better than drinking milk that is your belief and can never be looked at as superior, only different than others.

It depends on what you expect a belief to do.
If it's merely for personal comfort then I'd possibly agree.
But if it's supposed to be a valid descriptor of how things are/ work then there are definitely "superior" and "inferior" beliefs.

"Milk is good for you", is, in general and if you're at all interested in staying alive, a far superior belief to "hydrochloric acid is good for you".

Last edited:
Just for a change I will agree completely with Adstar, even down to the metaphorical pun on mute/moot.

Back