Which way do i go?

gMan

Registered Member
im a hs student on my first year,im doing biomedical science as for a start. I though id ask here to get a few ideas from you, im not sure in which field of biology i wanna go but it has to be somewhere where there is a chance to progress get paid decent and have a secured future carrer. I know its a huge field but i seem lost, i enjoy biology but not much chemistry :( . I dont wanna get a job which in a couple of years time i will be replaced by a robot :mad: ,get what im sayn. thnx for ya coments

wow that sure helps,i mean till now iv build my future on science. Why do you say that and what are you suggesting? thnx for replyin:)

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
get out of science if you want a decent salary or a secure career.
You're scaring the young ones spurious, and with little reason. For Science in general the pay is pretty good when compared to the Arts, however the pay in the Biological sciences is pretty low. I mean $42,744 US for a doctoral degree is pretty sad. If you're looking for decent pay, go into EE or Chemical Engineering.

If you go here http://stats.bls.gov/search/ooh.asp?ct=OOH, and click on "B", you can see the median salary for all sorts of biological professions, (however, this is US data, but useful as a gauge nonetheless). Here's the page for Biological and Medical Scientists http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos047.htm.

Information also on the above page: required education, nature of the work, working conditions, job outlook, earnings, and related occupations. The aforementioned site is a very nice resource when loking for job descriptions and salary data for practically any profession that requires a collegiate education.

Note: The page for EE is here http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos031.htm

I'm pretty sure that any of the engineering disciplines command reasonable salaries with a bachelor's degree.

Doesn't industry make more than academia?
And doesn't government make more than industry?
I plan on working for the NIH or CDC.

I'm 33 and get 1395 euro per month. The salary for a postdoc is not that much higher in most cases.

You do not go into science for money or security. You do science because you are fascinated by nature and you want to see something of the world, communicate with interesting people, and do your own thing.

If your aim is industry then go right ahead, but maybe you shouldn't go along the scientific career pathway all the way. Make sure you leave it as soon as possible.

anyhoo...you won't really be a good scientist if you are after money. Do you want to work 12 hours a day for my salary? Weekends too?

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
I'm 33 and get 1395 euro per month. The salary for a postdoc is not that much higher in most cases.

You do not go into science for money or security. You do science because you are fascinated by nature and you want to see something of the world, communicate with interesting people, and do your own thing.

If your aim is industry then go right ahead, but maybe you shouldn't go along the scientific career pathway all the way. Make sure you leave it as soon as possible.

anyhoo...you won't really be a good scientist if you are after money. Do you want to work 12 hours a day for my salary? Weekends too?

where do you live? that seems too low. Those statistics were showing $200k a year for a doctor-surgeon. Thats some good dough altho you gotta be 8-9 yrs in uni to get there.

well you "do" study science do become a surgeon dont you? You study medicine which is science in my book.

Back