Where were the teachers?

lucifers angel

same shit, differant day!!
Registered Senior Member
Schoolboy killed in mountain fall

A 12-year-old boy from Kent has fallen to his death while trekking on a school trip in southern Austria.
Hayden Waller, a pupil at the Howard School in Rainham, died from a broken neck and severe head injuries.

Medway Council said he was hiking with three friends near Mallnitz on Monday afternoon when he lost his footing and fell 30ft (9m).

Another boy was slightly injured. Paul Morris, Hayden's head teacher, said staff and pupils were "devastated".

In a statement, he said: "I would like to send my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Hayden Waller.

"Staff are comforting the other pupils on the trip and we are arranging for them to return home as soon as possible."

Rose Collinson, director of children's services at Medway Council, added it would play a "full part" in an investigation in to the youngster's death.

Local police said Hayden, from Wigmore, and three other boys had been trekking a short distance up the mountain from their hotel, in the southern province of Carinthia, to a viewpoint late on Monday afternoon.

They had tried to reach a hut without using the path and had ventured across an open area which became steeper and stonier.

The group decided to turn back, but Hayden and another boy fell.

One of the youngsters ran down the hillside and told a passer-by what had happened, but when emergency services and a rescue helicopter reached the scene Hayden was already dead.

------------------

where were the teachers? did they really let these boys go out on they're own, of paths and onto stoney and rocky pathways?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/7252738.stm

Last edited by a moderator:
where were the teachers? did they really let these boys go out on they're own, of paths and onto stoney and rocky pathways?

I wonder what the boys ages were? If sometimes boys will be boys and do stupid things then how can they always be watched? I'm sure they were told where to go and what to do but if the boys weren't listening then wos's to blame other than themselves. That is of course those boys weren't very small children like under 10 years old.

I wonder what the boys ages were? If sometimes boys will be boys and do stupid things then how can they always be watched? I'm sure they were told where to go and what to do but if the boys weren't listening then wos's to blame other than themselves. That is of course those boys weren't very small children like under 10 years old.

12 yrs old!

thats so sad but i dont think you can blame the teachers LA, we used to camp by ourselves in the scouts from as young as that. Also we dont know if they had just sneaked off or what. I would wait for a conors inquest to decide what should be done to prevent this in future

Tragic though:(

thats so sad but i dont think you can blame the teachers LA, we used to camp by ourselves in the scouts from as young as that. Also we dont know if they had just sneaked off or what. I would wait for a conors inquest to decide what should be done to prevent this in future

Tragic though:(

it sure is, and it seems to be happening a lot, my sons school will not even do school trips anymore, because last year a boy fell and fractured his leg, (i know he didnt die, but its still a shame for the other kids)

12 years old is just the age where you tell them NO and they still do it anyway! You can't always be there when a 12 year old gets into trouble. It is tragic news of course but accidents happen all the time. If kids don't listen to adults its not always the adults fault is it?

12 years old is just the age where you tell them NO and they still do it anyway! You can't always be there when a 12 year old gets into trouble. It is tragic news of course but accidents happen all the time. If kids don't listen to adults its not always the adults fault is it?

they should not be able to be in a situation where they should be able to sneak of, or not listen, but yeah your right at 12 they do what they want mostly, but if they are on a school trip then the saftey of those children should've been ungraded a few notches

seriously, this is the typical whiny-pussy approach. You seriously believe that in a weekend trip a few teachers can control all of the kids all of the time? They could have put handcuffs and legchains on them I guess...

When I was 12 year old I climbed all kind of things and I survived. Some of us are more skilled than others. Boys will be boys too...

they should not be able to be in a situation where they should be able to sneak of, or not listen, but yeah your right at 12 they do what they want mostly, but if they are on a school trip then the saftey of those children should've been ungraded a few notches

If you want to lay blame why not ask the parents why they didn't ask whether or not the kids would be supervised at ALL times and if not then why let their kids go along if there were any doubts. Ultimatly it is the parents who know what their own kids are capable of doing isn't it? :shrug:

Last edited:
it sure is, and it seems to be happening a lot, my sons school will not even do school trips anymore, because last year a boy fell and fractured his leg, (i know he didnt die, but its still a shame for the other kids)

My son has broken his wrist, his foot, and had to get staples in his head in 3 separate incidences at school. He also got stitches in his chin once from a home accident. Boys are not safe when it comes to the safety of their bodies.

I don't know what the teachers didn't do that the parents would have done. :shrug:

Back