Where does fat come from?

John Connellan

Valued Senior Member
Does anybody know definitively and authoratively if dietary fat alone generally leads to increased adipose tissue deposition? Or is it true that de novo lipogenesis (from say high carbohydrate loading) is also very much responsible?
I have read a book from the library saying lipogenesis is a myth but I find this hard to believe. Aren't many of the popular diets (including Atkins) based on the high carbohydrate = fat + insulin resistance hypothesis?

to be honest, I'm not sure I follow. What book is suggesting that fat is not created within our own bodies from basic compounds (lipogenesis)?

How would adipose tissue be in the body if the body was not creating it? I know my mother used to say that the "fat cells" in meat were the only source of fat cells in the body; so if you didn't eat alot of animal fat, then you would have a place to store fat in your body.

This is next to absurd, however, and easily disproven
1) during digestion, fatty tissue is broken down by acid and enzymes int he gut
2) if it weren't, a whole "fat cell" certainly couldn't pass through the semi-permiable membrane of the intestine, nor could they travel effectively between other tissues in order to migrate to the area under the skin where they are found.
3) if we as humans can't create owr own adipose tissue, than how do animals, the supposed sources of this tissue, create it?

I am out of my field, but almost certain that Human DNA has the information to tranfer thru RNA to control the ribozone factories to make all sorts of cell materials - must as if not how could a baby be formed in the womb from a single cell start. Thus humans can make fat cells. I have read that this is mostly done when one is young, and if you eat a lot more than your caloric needs the individual fat cells get larger, rather than make many more of them. Thus do not let your babies / young kids get fat when in the stage of life that fat cells are being made. - they will have an excess all their life, and tendancy to a lot of serious problems, such as diabetes etc.

Please if someone who works in this area, like SamCD or SpuriousMonkey reads, correct me where I error.

fat.... is the most important thing in life forms...

it is the first thing needed to form cells.

fat... is what the cells membranes.. the cell wall.. is made of.

-MT

Does anybody know definitively and authoratively if dietary fat alone generally leads to increased adipose tissue deposition? Or is it true that de novo lipogenesis (from say high carbohydrate loading) is also very much responsible?
I have read a book from the library saying lipogenesis is a myth but I find this hard to believe. Aren't many of the popular diets (including Atkins) based on the high carbohydrate = fat + insulin resistance hypothesis?

Almost all fat in humans comes from diet. De novo lipogenesis is possible but is rare in humans

Under most dietary conditions, the two major macronutrient energy sources (CHO and fat) are therefore not interconvertible currencies; CHO and fat have independent, though interacting, economies and independent regulation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10365981&dopt=Abstract

Last edited:
fat.... is the most important thing in life forms...

it is the first thing needed to form cells.

fat... is what the cells membranes.. the cell wall.. is made of.

-MT

There's three things we need, fat, bone tissue, and muscle. Muscle seems to be the least important in terms of living. These days it's regarded as a luxury to build muscle beyond the average for one's bodyweight.

NO.... you dont understand...

every call... be it a stem cell... or a bone cell.. or a muscle cell... or an eyeball cell... or brain cell...

all cells... all... are based on semi-permiable layers of fat.

fats... will naturally form circular cell bodies... in warm water...

if a life form cannot produce fats... then, it cannot produce new cells, unless it eats that fat somehow.

i have no doubt... all lifeforms, can produce their own fats.

-MT

NO.... you dont understand...

every call... be it a stem cell... or a bone cell.. or a muscle cell... or an eyeball cell... or brain cell...

all cells... all... are based on semi-permiable layers of fat.

fats... will naturally form circular cell bodies... in warm water...

if a life form cannot produce fats... then, it cannot produce new cells, unless it eats that fat somehow.

i have no doubt... all lifeforms, can produce their own fats.

-MT

There is an advanced system available for obtaining spare parts for our body.

Its called eating.

OH MURDERATION!

He is a murderah
He kill up any deejay but the gunner

Mosheh is a... MURDERAH
he kill up any deejay but the gunner

Almost all fat in humans comes from diet. De novo lipogenesis is possible but is rare in humans

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10365981&dopt=Abstract

from the pubmed link:
"Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy."

So fat is created by the human body, when there is excess energy in the system.

How does dietary fat make it into the body? do the lipids remain intact through the process, or are they broken down into glucose, and then re-structured into lipids if the energy is not used up?

edit: answering myself:
"The digestion of regular fats and oils, which are usually long-chain triglycerides, requires bile acids as well as lipases.... The bile acids allow the triglycerides to be properly emulsified and the lipases break the triglycerides into individual fatty acids and monoglycerides in the small intestine. When these parts are absorbed through the wall of the intestine, they are reassembled into triglycerides and carried into the body through the lymph system on chylomicrons."
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/fat_absorption.html

Interesting. Been a while since HS bio, I had forgotten this stuff. So a majority of the fat in our diet is mostly kept intact (by being broken up and reassembled across the intestinal membrane), so I guess my Mom wasn't as far off as I had thought.

knowledge++

Last edited:
Probably unwise for me to challenge you as this is your field and definitely not my field.
I post this abstract in its entirety because (1) it is short; (2) I want to ask about section I made bold; and (3)most reading here will not go to the link:

"The enzymatic pathway* for converting dietary carbohydrate (CHO) into fat, or de novo lipogenesis (DNL), is present in humans, whereas the capacity to convert fats into CHO does not exist. Here, the quantitative importance of DNL in humans is reviewed, focusing on the response to increased intake of dietary CHO. Eucaloric replacement of dietary fat by CHO does not induce hepatic DNL to any substantial degree. Similarly, addition of CHO to a mixed diet does not increase hepatic DNL to quantitatively important levels, as long as CHO energy intake remains less than total energy expenditure** (TEE). Instead, dietary CHO replaces fat in the whole-body fuel mixture, even in the post-absorptive state. Body fat is thereby accrued, but the pathway of DNL is not traversed;*** instead, a coordinated set of metabolic adaptations, including resistance of hepatic glucose production to suppression by insulin, occurs that allows CHO oxidation to increase and match CHO intake. Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL# in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy. It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort #for added dietary CHO, in humans. Under most dietary conditions, the two major macronutrient energy sources (CHO and fat) are therefore not interconvertible currencies;## CHO and fat have independent, though interacting, economies and independent regulation. The metabolic mechanisms and physiologic implications of the functional block between CHO and fat in humans are discussed, but require further investigation."

It seems to me, that this alone does not support your claim that humans rarely make fat, DNL, because it is speaking ONLY about the conversion of CHO to fat.

BTW, someone, perhaps BM, was critical of your tendency to quote from a reference instead of give your POV. I, in contrast, praise you for this. When I doubt what you are stating, as was the case this time, since I know cows eat grass and make a lot of fat, even in their milk they yield, I went to the original (your reference). - Much better than just giving an unsupported POV.

Are humans so different from cows that they can make fat from grass and we can not make it from our much more varied range of foods? Is not the cholesterol, that I know humans make, as well as get from food they eat, not a fat? After reading your reference, I accept that eating boiled potatoes (my idea of nearly pure CHOs) will not make me accumulate directly fat if I do not exceed myTEE (but may by displacing some of my energy requirements, might do so indirectly if my TEE is exceeded.) but I am not ready yet to accept the idea, that by no pathway do humans make significant fat when their caloric intake far exceeds their energy requirements, even if there is little fat in their diet. e.g. high volume of sugar in diet.

In part I am biased to this POV by what I understand to be evolutions reason for bodies making fat. - I.e. for most of human history, there were some lucky days with abundant food, followed by several with very little - making and storing fat being evolution's discovery as to how to efficiently cope with this variation. For example, Are you saying that when a primative man got lucky and found a hollow tree the wind had blown over was full of honey and ate all he could hold for two days until it was all gone that it did him no good during the next four days when he had nothing to eat?

---------------------------------(notes/comments on the bold I added to the abstract)
*are there other “pathways”?
**seldom does for big eaters, who get fat.
***clearly some other “pathway” is.
#(two parts taken together) seem to state that if you eat a lot more than you need for energy requirements, then you will do DNL (make fat) as a “second resort” (no fat people in concentration camps is all this is explaining?)
## does this, together with the foregoing, not clearly define that by “under most dietary conditions” the authors mean "caloric intake less than TEE"? - I understand that to be their meaning. See (2) below.

SUMMARY I think:
(1)the articles “under most dietary conditions” is referring to a diet in which the caloric intake is not greatly in excess of TEE, but that is not the typical diet of someone who is significantly or grossly over weight (a “fat person”).
(2)You have over generalized what is being said with the claim “humans rarely make fat” perhaps as you had a different POV as to what article is assuming as “under most dietary conditions” than I do.

Could you comment a little more (again with reference links, in case I still do not take your word for it)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably unwise for me to challenge you as this is your field and definitely not my field.
I post this abstract in its entirety because (1) it is short; (2) I want to ask about section I made bold; and (3)most reading here will not go to the link:

"The enzymatic pathway* for converting dietary carbohydrate (CHO) into fat, or de novo lipogenesis (DNL), is present in humans, whereas the capacity to convert fats into CHO does not exist. Here, the quantitative importance of DNL in humans is reviewed, focusing on the response to increased intake of dietary CHO. Eucaloric replacement of dietary fat by CHO does not induce hepatic DNL to any substantial degree. Similarly, addition of CHO to a mixed diet does not increase hepatic DNL to quantitatively important levels, as long as CHO energy intake remains less than total energy expenditure** (TEE). Instead, dietary CHO replaces fat in the whole-body fuel mixture, even in the post-absorptive state. Body fat is thereby accrued, but the pathway of DNL is not traversed;*** instead, a coordinated set of metabolic adaptations, including resistance of hepatic glucose production to suppression by insulin, occurs that allows CHO oxidation to increase and match CHO intake. Only when CHO energy intake exceeds TEE does DNL# in liver or adipose tissue contribute significantly to the whole-body energy economy. It is concluded that DNL is not the pathway of first resort #for added dietary CHO, in humans. Under most dietary conditions, the two major macronutrient energy sources (CHO and fat) are therefore not interconvertible currencies;## CHO and fat have independent, though interacting, economies and independent regulation. The metabolic mechanisms and physiologic implications of the functional block between CHO and fat in humans are discussed, but require further investigation."

It seems to me, that this alone does not support your claim that humans rarely make fat, DNL, because it is speaking ONLY about the conversion of CHO to fat. BTW, someone, perhaps BM, was critical of your tendency to quote from a reference instead of give your POV. I in contrast praise you for this. When I doubt, what you are stating as was the case this time since I know cows eat grass and make a lot of fat, even in their milk the yield, I went to the original (your reference). - Much better than just giving an unsupported POV.

Are humans so different from cows that they can make fat from grass and we can not make it from our much more varied range of foods? Is not the cholesterol, that I know humans make, as well as get from food they eat, not a fat? After reading your reference, I asscept that eating boiled potatoes (my idea of nearly pure CHOs) will not make me accumulate directly fat (but by displacing some of my energy requirements, might do so indirectly) but I am not ready yet to accept the idea, that by no pathway do humans make significant fat when their caloric intake far exceeds their energy requirements.

In part I am biased to this POV by what I understand to be evolutions reason for bodies making fat. - I.e. for most of human history, there were some lucky days with abundant food, followed by several with very little - making and storing fat being evolution's discovery as to how to efficiently cope with this variation.

Could you comment a little more (again with reference links, in case I still do not take your word for it)?

SUMMARY I think:
(1)the articles “under most dietary conditions” is referring to a diet in which the caloric intake is not greatly in excess of TEE, but that is not the typical diet of someone who is significantly or grossly over weight (a “fat person”).
(2)You have over generalized what is being said with the claim “humans rarely make fat” perhaps as you had a different POV as to what article is assuming as “under most dietary conditions” than I do.

Obesity is not merely about intake, but also about expenditure.
That said there are so many sources of carbohydrate that one cannot avoid consuming them. However they are still far behind the varied sources of fat in the diet.

CHO are the primary source of energy in the body for brain and other highly active tissues (like muscle at exercise), while fat is the primary source of energy for muscles at rest and in various cellular processes.

A big eater, e.g. may metabolise his foods efficiently but will (in general) still consume more carbohydrates than he expends, so there is NO NEED to convert them to fat. When his CHO intake reaches its limits, he will switch to fats and proteins as an energy source.

The difference between cows and humans is that they are ruminants, they can break down cellulose (and other indigestible CHOs) which we humans cannot (hence the discomfiture from a high fiber diet). Plus the amount of oils and fats being in general very low in the diets of such animals, there is a requirement to be able to convert CHO to fats.

Not to say that we cannot have conversion of CHOs to fats (proteins are deaminated and enter the oxidative cycle, though carbon skeletons can eneter gluconeogenesis or glucose production), but our present diets make it unnecessary and we have evolved metabolically so that the chances are lower.

References(though the above is POV)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=15592484&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=12133211&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum

PS. All pathways in body are enzymatic (ie regulated by presence of substrate and in some cases by presence of product).

Last edited:
Obesity is not merely about intake, but also about expenditure.
That said there are so many sources of carbohydrate that one cannot avoid consuming them. However they are still far behind the varied sources of fat in the diet.

CHO are the primary source of energy in the body for brain and other highly active tissues (like muscle at exercise), while fat is the primary source of energy for muscles at rest and in various cellular processes.

A big eater, e.g. may metabolise his foods efficiently but will (in general) still consume more carbohydrates than he expends, so there is NO NEED to convert them to fat. When his CHO intake reaches its limits, he will switch to fats and proteins as an energy source.

The difference between cows and humans is that they are ruminants, they can break down cellulose (and other indigestible CHOs) which we humans cannot (hence the discomfiture from a high fiber diet). Plus the amount of oils and fats being in general very low in the diets of such animals, there is a requirement to be able to convert CHO to fats.

Not to say that we cannot have conversion of CHOs to fats (proteins are deaminated and enter the oxidative cycle, though carbon skeletons can eneter gluconeogenesis or glucose production), but our present diets make it unnecessary and we have evolved metabolically so that the chances are lower.

References(though the above is POV)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=15592484&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=12133211&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_DocSum

I have not been to your new reference yet and added the following while you were responding: "For example, Are you saying that when a primative man got lucky and found a hollow tree the wind had blown over was full of honey and ate all he could hold for two days until it was all gone that it did him no good during the next four days when he had nothing to eat?"

Your response is not very resposive to my concerns, except slightly in the last paragraph. Can you comment on the items I made bold and made comments /questions about in my * & # footnotes and the "primative man/honey example above? I wan answers comment to these specifics, not generalities like "there are many different CHOs" , "cows are ruminants, eat celluolose" , "very low in the diets of such animals, there is a requirement to be able to convert CHO to fats" etc. -give me a little credit - I am not totally ignorant. Part of my challenge to your POV about "humans rarely making fat" is based on the fact that i know cows can from grass as well as my evolution argument.

Specifically please respond to my SUMMARY (1) and (2) points - at least make clear what you understand by the papers authors mean by “under most dietary conditions” if it differs from my POV in the SUMMARY point (1)

If that phrase mearly means that people who do not eat too much, rarely get fat - I am not impressed, question the merit of publishing it etc.

Unfortunately, I must leave house now so you can take time to think about it but I still think you overextended this conclusions of the reference with the general statement that humans rarely make fat (do DNL) do not have time now to correct my typos etc. back to you later.

I have not been to your new reference yet and added the following while you were responding: "For example, Are you saying that when a primative man got lucky and found a hollow tree the wind had blown over was full of honey and ate all he could hold for two days until it was all gone that it did him no good during the next four days when he had nothing to eat?"

Your response is not very resposive to my concerns, except slightly in the last paragraph. Can you comment on the items I made bold and made comments /questions about in my * & # footnotes and the "primative man/honey example above? I wan answers comment to these specifics, not generalities like "there are many different CHOs" , "cows are ruminants, eat celluolose" , "very low in the diets of such animals, there is a requirement to be able to convert CHO to fats" etc. -give me a little credit - I am not totally ignorant. Part of my challenge to your POV about "humans rarely making fat" is based on the fact that i know cows can from grass as well as my evolution argument.

Specifically please respond to my SUMMARY (1) and (2) points - at least make clear what you understand by the papers authors mean by “under most dietary conditions” if it differs from my POV in the SUMMARY point (1)

If that phrase mearly means that people who do not eat too much, rarely get fat - I am not impressed, question the merit of publishing it etc.

Unfortunately, I must leave house now so you can take time to think about it but I still think you overextended this conclusions of the reference with the general statement that humans rarely make fat (do DNL) do not have time now to correct my typos etc. back to you later.

Hmm I must be missing your question.

CHOs have 4 kcals per gm and fat has 9, so you'd have to eat a lot less fat (probably less than 10% of your energy) to eat a sufficient amount of carbohydrate where it would be converted to fats.

Humans rarely make fats because fats would only be made if they were insufficient in the diet. Since humans have figured out how to separate oils, butter, cream and have a highly developed fat taste, we eat a lot of fat and since it is already present in the diet, it is sensed by the liver enzymes required for lipogenesis (like ACC and FAS) and they are automatically downregulated.

My POV is that most dietary conditions provide more than enough fat to suppress lipogenesis and not more carbohydrates than fat (no humans eat only grass) so the conditions favorable for lipogenesis are not present. The body does not waste energy preparing things that are already available. Also, in the short term substituting one form of energy for the other simply shifts the metabolic substrate since the system is able to utilise both.

In the case where a primitive man ate only honey and had little access to oils, he would of course activate his lipogenic pathway.

Does that answer your question?

to be honest, I'm not sure I follow.

Let me explain

What book is suggesting that fat is not created within our own bodies from basic compounds (lipogenesis)?

yes

How would adipose tissue be in the body if the body was not creating it?

through dietary fat (i mentioned that didn't I?)

1) during digestion, fatty tissue is broken down by acid and enzymes int he gut

Dietary fats are broken down?

2) if it weren't, a whole "fat cell" certainly couldn't pass through the semi-permiable membrane of the intestine, nor could they travel effectively between other tissues in order to migrate to the area under the skin where they are found.

I'm talking about dietary fats, not cells

3) if we as humans can't create owr own adipose tissue, than how do animals, the supposed sources of this tissue, create it?
Different metabolic systems.

Sam,

what does the human body do with excess calories when, say, these calories are in the form of mixed carbohydrate (60%), fat (30%) and protein (10%) forms?

Sam,

what does the human body do with excess calories when, say, these calories are in the form of mixed carbohydrate (60%), fat (30%) and protein (10%) forms?

Then carbohydrates are primarily used for energy and fat is directly stored. If you are expending more than 2400 kcals per day and your carbohydrate intake is greater than 2400 kcals (which would be 2400/4 or 600 gms of pure carbohydrate) then any carbohydrates over and above 2400 kcals would be converted to fat. The protein would be used for repairing body proteins, excess proteins would be de-aminated and the carbon skeletons used for gluconeogenesis or oxidation.

OK, so in obese people, roughly half of all adipose deposition can be attributed to dietary fat and the other half to dietary carbs right? fat has higher energy content but carbs constitute higher proportion of the meal. At the end of the day, all excess calories get stored in the most efficient way as possible - fat.

So really, the best way to lose fat is by following the simple energy balance principle. Eat less, excercise more.

Back