Where are we in stem cell research ?

I have some insider information here, a little trade secret if you will, something important that people who are outside of the science industry don't know and they definitely should know! You ready for it...?

That it's all baloney! Stem cell research? ... hooey. GM foods? ... a pox on all natural food wiping it from existence. Elderly rejuvenation and living longer? Don't make me laugh. Science has turned into more of a religion than anything else, full of charlatans, snake-oil salesmen and frauds... (I'm talking about people such as Ray Kurzweil, Michio Kaku, Michael Rose, the editors of Science magazines, etc., not the scientists who actually do real science such as Frans de Wal, Christophe Boesche, Ignacio Chapela, Terje Traavik etc.)

It's all nonsense and all a complete joke, it's ridiculous. None of the stuff that you see in science magazines will ever happen, excepting maybe some electronics. I guarantee you absolutely 100% put my life on it they won't cure any of the major things they've said they will and none of the "breakthroughs" will ever occur, it is all driven by money, most of it government funded and the rest is made by drugs companies. Sometimes I wonder who the hell buys those magazines, since none of their promises ever come true and they have the exact same main topics every alternate issue.

Every "advance" of civilization has made has either been 1) correcting problems that would have never happened to people living in the wild anyway, eg. most diseases which were caused by civilization itself, or something like diabetes brought on by processed foods and 2) things that literally don't work, are hocus pocus damaging nonsense such as alzheimer pills, pushed by doctors.

Next time you're in a bookstore, I advise you to stick to something serious such as the Fantasy section and not the Science one, you'll find a lot more "truths" and fulfilment in them.

I'm a pessimist.

What's stem cell therapy and regenerative medicine ever going to achieve? Sure there are examples of tissue engineered things like bladders and blood vessels that have "worked" so far, but those are far, far away from tissue engineering a whole organ with multiple different layers and subtypes of cell populations that also need to be innervated for proper autonomic or somatic control. After doing a cost benefit analysis, I wouldn't be surprised that in the future, people will finally come to terms with the fact that it will be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper just to clone a human and harvest an organ than rebuild it from scratch. Stem cell therapy still hasn't gotten over some major hurdles with regards to safety and tumor formation. One of THE most difficult problems with stem cell therapy is achieving a uniform differentiated population and then purifying it so that you don't cause tumors. Let's say someone figures out how to get a stem cell therapy to work from start to finish? What's the cost? You can expect it to be out of the reach for probably the vast majority of people.

I'll leave the ethics debate up to another discussion.

Back