what's with the little drops of water?

visceral_instinct

Monkey see, monkey denigrate
Valued Senior Member
I'm growing fungus on soup for an experiment, and the dots of fungus are discharging what I assume are drops of water. Why do they do that?

Vis, what kind of fungi ?

Are you sure they aren't gas bubbles ?

Last edited:
Not sure. They are white with grey-green cores.

They are definitely liquid...possibly liquid stretched over a gas bubble, but then why are they discharging liquid and gas?

Unicellular?

I don't know if they are clusters of unicellular ones or individual poly-cellular organisms.

I'm not well up on fungi, all I know is I was told to get some soup for the fungal particles in the air to feed on, cover with cling film and keep for observation.

Unicellular?

I don't know if they are clusters of unicellular ones or individual poly-cellular organisms.

I'm not well up on fungi, all I know is I was told to get some soup for the fungal particles in the air to feed on, cover with cling film and keep for observation.

Those are unicellular ;)

Ah, I see.

So the dots of fungi I can see are clusters of unicellular organisms?

How come they have white external parts and grey-green cores? Are they 2 different types?

Ah, I see.

So the dots of fungi I can see are clusters of unicellular organisms?

How come they have white external parts and grey-green cores? Are they 2 different types?

I don't know much about fungi. But I suppose it has to do with the age of the fungi in different locations.

Edit: Yep, they are clusters.

Last edited:
Probably it is just condensation, and it forms droplets because the fungus is hydrophobic.

Back