What rights to privacy

alot, for example the right to medical privacy once it has been shown (to the treating HCP) that they are capable of understanding the choices and acting in there own best interests

alot, for example the right to medical privacy once it has been shown (to the treating HCP) that they are capable of understanding the choices and acting in there own best interests

Capable of understanding? Acting in their own best interests? What age is that, Asguard? Or better still, who decides that? ....the child or the parent or the state? See what I mean? You didn't really answer the question at all.

As to the OP, I think society generally sets the age of consent, which is really what we're talking about here, at some age between 16 and 18. At that legal age, the kid's privacy becomes the same as every other member of society.

Baron Max

umm i did answer that question (both of them). on age, its NOT an age, its a MAX age of 16 but it can be any age above 13 where they show those cariteristics. Ages of consent DONT work, we can see that very clearly in sexual laws, in that case its the only means we have however in health care we are TRYING to give the child independence as they become ready for it so there isnt a need for a set age.

on your second point on who judges it i did answer (but i used an acroynim so it could be my fault you didnt see it), the treating health care proffessional. Not a goverment offical, certianly not the parents and not the child.

This is the formal language of the consent act:

CONSENT TO MEDICAL TREATMENT AND PALLIATIVE CARE ACT 1995 - SECT 12
12—Administration of medical treatment to a child

A medical practitioner may administer medical treatment to a child if—

(a) the parent or guardian consents; or

(b) the child consents and—

(i) the medical practitioner who is to administer the treatment is of the opinion that the child is capable of understanding the nature, consequences and risks of the treatment and that the treatment is in the best interest of the child's health and well-being; and

(ii) that opinion is supported by the written opinion of at least one other medical practitioner who personally examines the child before the treatment is commenced.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_act/ctmtapca1995420/s12.html

now as a stated fact i have never seen a GP go through the whole proccess of getting a second opinion however they could. In our line of work its unnessary because its impossable however there are generally 2 of us who work as a team anyway.

The main area's these become an issue is terminally ill children refusing consent to life sustaining treatments (and only accepting palitive) and sexual health. The sexual health one is generally easerly determined, ie if they are sexually active and smart enough to ask for the pill and they understand the potentual side effects ect then they can consent and expect privacy

Asguard, I don't think "medical care" is what the OP was asking about with regard to the issue of privacy! And besides, I'm not sure that there's much of an issue of privacy in medical care, is there? Or is that an Aussie thing?

I think the OP is asking about general privacy between parent and child, and I even took it to mean in situations that arise in raising the child. ...the issue of trust.

Baron Max

there are lots of different types of privacy, some are legally protected (medical, legal ect), some arnt (a parent looking around a child's or even a room mate's room)

In the case of the legally inforced you DONT HAVE A CHOICE, you can bitch and moan that they should have told you before she got an abortion but you dont have a leg to stand on.

in the other sort you can do what you like, however basically i would ask myself, say you found something that the child hasnt told you (be it condoms, tricyclic antidepressents or a bit of weed). How much damage is that going to cause to your relationship and is it REALLY going to be in the childs best intrests to know they cant trust you?

You ground them and then when something REALLY happens they need your help they dont tell you because they dont trust you, how are you going to feel?

in the other sort you can do what you like, however basically i would ask myself, say you found something that the child hasnt told you (be it condoms, tricyclic antidepressents or a bit of weed). How much damage is that going to cause to your relationship and is it REALLY going to be in the childs best intrests to know they cant trust you?

that kid with condoms, tricyclic antidepressants or a bit of weed is you?

on one hand HA (im 26 and i live with my partner not my parents)

On the other yes actually, except for the condoms it WAS me. I was seeking treatment for depression by myself and it wasnt until I was ready to talk about it my parents even knew. Now if i had no trust with them then that never would have happened even though it wasnt until after a suicide attempt that i did actually open up to them i still wouldnt have been able to if i had no trust in the relationship

...in the other sort you can do what you like, however basically i would ask myself, say you found something that the child hasnt told you (be it condoms, tricyclic antidepressents or a bit of weed). How much damage is that going to cause to your relationship and is it REALLY going to be in the childs best intrests to know they cant trust you?

You ground them and then when something REALLY happens they need your help they dont tell you because they dont trust you, how are you going to feel?

Yeah, which is what the OP was asking about. So, ...now that you know the question, what's your answer???

Baron Max

does your child have in relation to you?

What risks are you willing to take via trust?

My children only have the privacy I allow them to have. My daughter has no medical privacy (laughing hysterically at Asguard), but my son is 18 so he legally does. But considering I make all of his medical/dental/optical appointments, I don't think he knows that.
They both live in my house and if I want to search their rooms, I can if I want to. If I want to take the doors off their bedrooms, I will.

My children only have the privacy I allow them to have. My daughter has no medical privacy (laughing hysterically at Asguard), but my son is 18 so he legally does. But considering I make all of his medical/dental/optical appointments, I don't think he knows that.
They both live in my house and if I want to search their rooms, I can if I want to. If I want to take the doors off their bedrooms, I will.

you can laugh all you like. THAT IS THE LAW, read it, i posted the link

Why would I care about the law in Australia when me and my kids live in the US?
Considering I pay my kid's medical bills, I will be told what I am paying for.

you can laugh all you like. THAT IS THE LAW, read it, i posted the link

It's the law in Aussieland, perhaps, but is it the law in the USA? Or the UK?

I don't know, I'm just asking. And also, even if it is the law, that doesn't necessarily mean that that's what parents and children abide by.

Baron Max

thats another difference of course, here you wouldnt be. Most (i am hesitant to say all but I will say i have never come across one who doesnt) GP's bulk bill for children (even if they dont for adults) so there ARE no out of pockect expences

in other words when it comes to a right to privacy you like to bleet about it but it doesnt exist yet we actually do deal with the issues in other more civilised countries:)

Back