What language does God speak?

W

WildBlueYonder

Just wondering what language God speaks? According to islam, it seems to be Arabic? Could that be true? Also, if the quran was sent down from heaven in the present form that we now have & it can not be translated or it loses its meaning, wouldn't that imply that 'allah' is monolingual in arabic & that's why the quran is in that language?

A few points:
1) a God of the Universe should be able to speak to His people in whatever language they speak
2) if the quran was in heaven in this present form; why is it jumbled, out of order, abrogated & contradictory?
3) if a god is monolingual, it implies that that god is a tribal god, a god of whatever people happen to worship it
4) which would make 'allah' the tribal god of only the arabs, not of the Universe

Randolfo said:
Just wondering what language God speaks? According to islam, it seems to be Arabic? Could that be true? Also, if the quran was sent down from heaven in the present form that we now have & it can not be translated or it loses its meaning, wouldn't that imply that 'allah' is monolingual in arabic & that's why the quran is in that language?

A few points:
1) a God of the Universe should be able to speak to His people in whatever language they speak
2) if the quran was in heaven in this present form; why is it jumbled, out of order, abrogated & contradictory?
3) if a god is monolingual, it implies that that god is a tribal god, a god of whatever people happen to worship it
4) which would make 'allah' the tribal god of only the arabs, not of the Universe
God could speak any language (of course), I think that there are some indications that the angels has a specific language. The language that God uses would (to my view) express the same meaning in any language. I think that God could say exactly the same thing to ten different people having ten different languages and each one would hear it in their own language. Wasn't there apostles that talked in tounges and there were people that had different languages and each one wondered how they could hear what they said in their own language (but then it turned into a joke and they said that they must be drunk), I guess people has allways been afraid of what they can't understand.

This is what I've read in the Bible, I don't know if there are similar things in the Quran.

Cyperium said:
God could speak any language (of course), I think that there are some indications that the angels has a specific language. The language that God uses would (to my view) express the same meaning in any language. I think that God could say exactly the same thing to ten different people having ten different languages and each one would hear it in their own language.

Do you know Generative Grammar?

This language theory suggests that all people speak the same language, but in many dialects. That is, the dialects are the various languages, like English, German, Portugese, ..., while the thing in our mind that enables us to speak those languages/dialects is a language that itself cannot be said in words -- that language is the meanings. -- Much like how you described God's language.

Science and religion sometimes come to analogous conclusions.

RosaMagika said:
Do you know Generative Grammar?

This language theory suggests that all people speak the same language, but in many dialects. That is, the dialects are the various languages, like English, German, Portugese, ..., while the thing in our mind that enables us to speak those languages/dialects is a language that itself cannot be said in words -- that language is the meanings. -- Much like how you described God's language.

Science and religion sometimes come to analogous conclusions.
My whole body turned into a big smile when you said that :)

I think God would speak in thought, which would only get translated later into the listener's own language.

Well I've never met a person who has actually heard god say anything, and thus language is irrelevant. Well that's not entirely true.. I have had people claim they have been spoken to by god, but whenever I question them about it - they always fail and turn the spoken part to "felt gods presence".

SnakeLord said:
Well I've never met a person who has actually heard god say anything, and thus language is irrelevant. Well that's not entirely true.. I have had people claim they have been spoken to by god, but whenever I question them about it - they always fail and turn the spoken part to "felt gods presence".
I guess they felt that their experiance was just as good as spoken words, but if they told you what they really experianced you wouldn't understand why they believed it so much, so they told you that He spoke to them so that you knew how they experianced it. But that's just a personal theory, I haven't heard God speak to me either, though I've had experiances that are just as good that can't be explained to someone - it's a frustration that comes with this, when you want to tell someone about it but can't find the words to reflect what really happened and why it made such a impression to you. I can understand the temptation at that point to say that God had spoken to you, allthough it wasn't with words.

Didn't God invent langauges, so therefore, He should be able to speak them all.

my obvious answer would be that god doesnt speak, but comunicates telepathically

Randolfo said:

A few points:

God has His own language. It is the language of the spirit and truth (John 4:23). Paul indicates the language to be groanings which cannot be uttered (Romans 8:26). IMO, it is the language what the heart is feeling which cannot be expressed in words. And since God sees the heart of man (1 Samuel 16:7), He knows the true intentions of every prayer no matter what human language the prayer is in.

Back