What kind of fish is this?

daktaklakpak

God is irrelevant!
Registered Senior Member
Is it real?

20044281314553083.jpg

I don't know. It seems to be somewhat related with chimaeras, rays and sharks, if it's real. Looks a bit like a "saw" version of Xenacanthus

Last edited:
Last edited:
That's a big fish.

Without something to get perspective it's hard to say. But, that looks like a cutting board to me. Which would put the fish at 10 inches or so. Sure is freaky looking. The snout (or whatever you'd call it) reminds me of a squid head.

Looked at the links above. I'd agree, it definitely looks similar to a spookfish. I bet a Japanese chef would be able to tell you what it is without blinking. :p

If you'd never seen a squid or octapus before they'd seem alot stranger than this fish.

Which is admittedly quite strange.

You're strange.... lolz
I think I need more info on why that fish seems to look skinnish (not skinny; it's just like a mammal without fur....)

Yeah, really looks like a spookfish. Albeit it seems somewhat young. The photographs I found showed another skin colour, also the skin was not as transparent.

Damn, that fish is really ugly. Don´t know why anyone wants to photograph or even eat it. :D

Yep that was clear.

Pacific Spookfish ( Rhinochimaera pacifica )
Rhinochimaera1KP.jpg

This species occurs in the South Pacific and off Japan , at depths 700-1300 m. It reaches 1.2 m long. This genus of deep-sea chimaeras goes under different names in different countries. In the USA it is known as a Long-nosed Chimaera while in Europe they use the common name Cyrano Chimaera, named after the fictional French character Cyrano de Bergerac, who had a very long nose. This strange cartilaginous fish uses its long snout to scan over the seafloor for the electrical impulses of its prey that bury in the muddy seafloor, just like a metal detector. Like other chimaeras (such as ghost and elephant sharks), these animals lay horny egg cases in which their young are left to develop, potentially for up to one year.
but I still think yours looks fresh out of the egg.

I think I need more info on why that fish seems to look skinnish
Deep sea fishes lack scales for the most part. Anything below the mesopelagic zone (>1000m depth) will have the same skin type (there are exceptions of course).

Isn't there like a paddlefish or something of the like? That's what I first thought looking at the nose, but that's just wierd.

Back