What is your definition of the word “Islam”?

W

WildBlueYonder

"What is your definition of the word “Islam”?"
When Michael asked this question:
What is your definition of the word “Islam”?

I had to ask, if both “islam” and “peace” have the same root word in arabic, with “islam” actually meaning submission, does that mean that the only peace in islam is when you surrender?
This strangely sounds like “zen” on paper, but in practice means conquest for those infidels that have been on the frontiers with islam. There is no peace for the infidel until they surrender & submit to islam., see below:
YUSUFALI: Say to the Unbelievers, if (now) they desist (from Unbelief), their past would be forgiven them; but if they persist, the punishment of those before them is already (a matter of warning for them).
PICKTHAL: Tell those who disbelieve that if they cease (from persecution of believers) that which is past will be forgiven them; but if they return (thereto) then the example of the men of old hath already gone (before them, for a warning).
SHAKIR: Say to those who disbelieve, if they desist, that which is past shall be forgiven to them; and if they return, then what happened to the ancients has already passed.
YUSUFALI: And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah altogether and everywhere; but if they cease, verily Allah doth see all that they do.
PICKTHAL: And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is all for Allah. But if they cease, then lo! Allah is Seer of what they do.
SHAKIR: And fight with them until there is no more persecution and religion should be only for Allah; but if they desist, then surely Allah sees what they do.
YUSUFALI: If they refuse, be sure that Allah is your Protector - the best to protect and the best to help.
PICKTHAL: And if they turn away, then know that Allah is your Befriender - a Transcendent Patron, a Transcendent Helper!
SHAKIR: And if they turn back, then know that Allah is your Patron; most excellent is the Patron and most excellent the Helper.

And the funny thing about islam, is that the very next verse in the quran deals with ‘war booty’, it's as if, Mohammad was preparing for the infidel wars, by making sure the plunder was divvied up. That’s slick., check this out:
YUSUFALI: And know that out of all the booty that ye may acquire (in war), a fifth share is assigned to Allah,- and to the Messenger, and to near relatives, orphans, the needy, and the wayfarer,- if ye do believe in Allah and in the revelation We sent down to Our servant on the Day of Testing,- the Day of the meeting of the two forces. For Allah hath power over all things.
PICKTHAL: And know that whatever ye take as spoils of war, lo! a fifth thereof is for Allah, and for the messenger and for the kinsman (who hath need) and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, if ye believe in Allah and that which We revealed unto Our slave on the Day of Discrimination, the day when the two armies met. And Allah is Able to do all things.
SHAKIR: And know that whatever thing you gain, a fifth of it is for Allah and for the Messenger and for the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, if you believe in Allah and in that which We revealed to Our servant, on the day of distinction, the day on which the two parties met; and Allah has power over all things.

Islam is what Jesus did. Surrender to the will of God for peace.

IOW, surrender to what is right.

Islam is what Jesus did. Surrender to the will of God for ones own personal agenda.

IOW, surrender to what is scripturally assumed to be right but has often been shown to be hypocrisy.

Edited for accuracy. :D

Islam is what Jesus did. Surrender to the will of God for peace.
that, my little friend is not exactly true. case in point, why did Jesus carry YHWH's name enbedded in His & not this "allah" fellow? "Ye", "Yah", "Yahu" & "Yeho" & in english "iah" are the contractions used in Biblical names to denote YHWH, God's name, that for some odd reason He gave to Moses as a "Memorial Name", so that He would be know by that Name forever

NASB: Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"
NASB: Exodus 3:15 God, furthermore, said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.' This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations.

Jews have such a respect for God's name, that they put code words in its place, feeling that to use His name out loud, may be taking His name in vain (which is common in Western countries), a few examples would be; "Ha-Shem" (which means The Name), "Adonai", which means Lord, (in english Bibles this spelling of "LORD" connotes "YHWH"))

from: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/name.html
IOW, surrender to what is right.
by might, swords & beheadings to follow

Back