What is Spirituality to you?

SkippingStones

splunk!
Registered Senior Member
In general when people I know talk about spiritual experiences they seem to be refering to ones that are intensely emotional. Many times these experiences involve music and group participation, creating a sense of connection with greatness and happiness. In other words, they get a high.

What is spirituality to you? What does the word mean? What does it mean for an experience to be spiritual? Is the feeling of connection with something big that people feel anything more than the outcome of a recipe for emotional inebriation?

spirituality, and the supernatural, go hand in hand, they are in the imagination, when people refer to a spiritual experience, the literally mean they were dreaming, halucinating, etc..
when these so called experience are shared with others who've had similar(for want of a better word) haluncination's thats when the problems start, they indoctrinate each other into a religious frenzy, little realising that they really need help.
however if it makes them happy, who am I to complain, I just hope they dont kill anyone because of there dreams.

Introspection, wonder, questioning the essential nature of the universe without clinging to any dogma or certainty. Just watching and trying to understand alone and without any outside influence.

pavlosmarcos said:
spirituality, and the supernatural, go hand in hand, they are in the imagination, when people refer to a spiritual experience, the literally mean they were dreaming, halucinating, etc..
when these so called experience are shared with others who've had similar(for want of a better word) haluncination's thats when the problems start, they indoctrinate each other into a religious frenzy, little realising that they really need help.

The large numbers of people that a society will condemn as mad is a result of its members increasingly desperate attempts to convince themselves that they are sane

exactly and they been doing that for the last two thousand years, have'nt they.
but now times they are changing. once religion is removed from the mindset of the masses, society will be completely sane.

When I hear the word "spirituality", I usually translate that as "bullshit".

M*W: To me, spirituality is connecting with all living things. It's like the glue that holds us together and makes us One.

SkippingStones said:
What is spirituality to you?

A fantasy concept promoted by unusual biological state (ex. reduction of blood flow to the part of the brain that seperates 'self' from 'other')

SkippingStones said:
What does the word mean?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=spirituality

SkippingStones said:
What does it mean for an experience to be spiritual? Is the feeling of connection with something big that people feel anything more than the outcome of a recipe for emotional inebriation?

The experience would have to pass a criteria set asserted by a definition of 'spiritual'.

SkippingStones said:
In general when people I know talk about spiritual experiences they seem to be refering to ones that are intensely emotional. Many times these experiences involve music and group participation, creating a sense of connection with greatness and happiness. In other words, they get a high.

I think a lot of that is just drama. It's almost a ritual of some sort...like some watered down tribal dance. I think it has more to do with social instincts and emotionality, which is of the flesh, not the spirit. The spirituality guise people use might just be an excuse to give in to these instincts, act like an idiot, and scare little children.

What is spirituality to you? What does the word mean? What does it mean for an experience to be spiritual? Is the feeling of connection with something big that people feel anything more than the outcome of a recipe for emotional inebriation?

Spirituality is the realization that you have a spirit and so there is a spiritual realm. Experiencing a spiritual interaction or occurence is like realizing and using a sixth sense that had somehow been latent...due to neglect...because you just didn't realize you had it to use. It's very strange, exciting, challenging, even frustrating at times. And it does elicit a very strong emotional response too. But the whole experience is one that is intensely personal...and profound. When I see people being dramatic about it, it makes me uncomfortable. It's almost like they're trivializing it, or exploiting it. Spirituality isn't a game, and God is not a toy.

It's merely a word made-up by those who didn't know anything about biology.

Others, like lori, confuse it with schizophrenia.

(Q) said:

It's merely a word made-up by those who didn't know anything about biology.

Others, like lori, confuse it with schizophrenia.

FU, Q. Your name should be (P). :D

Lori said:
Spirituality is the realization that you have a spirit and so there is a spiritual realm. Experiencing a spiritual interaction or occurence is like realizing and using a sixth sense that had somehow been latent...due to neglect...because you just didn't realize you had it to use. It's very strange, exciting, challenging, even frustrating at times. And it does elicit a very strong emotional response too. But the whole experience is one that is intensely personal...and profound. When I see people being dramatic about it, it makes me uncomfortable. It's almost like they're trivializing it, or exploiting it. Spirituality isn't a game, and God is not a toy.

What do you mean by spiritual realm? Does it have space and time or laws like gravity? Could it be that your idea is only your imagination? Your spiritual sixth sense sounds like something from a fantasy novel. Can you see how much it makes sense that your belief is just an imaginative shift from those concepts?

Experiences must seem to justify it, but if you already believe before the tests, then of course they'll prove you right.

Back