What is Religion

Fate5

Registered Member
What is religion?
Is religion real or possible?
If you're not atheist, what makes you think your religion is the "right" one?

What is religion?

For those in the lead, a power tool, nothing more. For the followers, an emotional crutch.

It is belief in a mythology. Belief is real. That does not mean, however, that what is believed is real. Some people used to believe the world was flat. The belief was real. The object of that belief was not.

Adam = Atheist. Can't respond to that one.

Fate5

What is religion?
In a word control. Track it back to its Mesopotamean origin and you will see patern of perpetuating power structures. They invent rules and moral stories to keep people from rejecting a baseless authority.
Religion is in existence. The postulates behind it are mere fiction. Religions can exist without their ideas being truth. It is called hypocracy and there is plenty of that to go around.
N/A
Adam
For those in the lead, a power tool, nothing more. For the followers, an emotional crutch.
We are on the same path of logic.
It is belief in a mythology. Belief is real. That does not mean, however, that what is believed is real. Some people used to believe the world was flat. The belief was real. The object of that belief was not.
Parallel thinking.

In a way we should thank religion, for centuries it has influenced and kept people from "sinning" too much. Without it the world may well have delved into chaos many times before now.

But now it's getting to the point where it's causing more trouble than it's stopping, all it takes is to watch the news once in a while and the negative results of religion become all to clear. Time to find another method of controlling the masses.

Religion doesn't help at all in keeping people from "sinning", laws do that.

Religion is something that seems to be unique to humans. It involves social groups. It usually involves a form of self-worship IMHO, extrapolating from the self to create the idea of a great superior thinking creature.

Unlike mythology, modern religions don't seem to have as much useful symbolic content. They've lost some of their grounding in humanity over time.

Fate 5

Concider this

What is religon?

Religon , back in mesopotamia, was used by people who had power, and wanted to keep it. In another thread, I posted someting that was in regarde to religon.

religon allows people to have an order of classes. The main leader in Mesopotamia said, "Well you have to trust what I say because... erm...there is this, well, this guy, his name is god, and he said that if you don't follow everything I said, then you will//erm... burn in this placecalled..ehh...hell. Yeah hell. Plus if you are really poor, and have no food, and you follow what I say, then well, then you get to go to this place where there is a lot of food, and stuff. Yeah thats it."

That could be a basic senario, and the poor, and hungry people would then follow the leader.

Hence calss, stabilazting of power, and stuff along those lines.

Religion is set in place to do two things, I beleive. One is to try to explain those that we cannot explain ourselves. In Greek religion, myths were used to explain the origin of man, and the reasons were are here, and why was the human species more advanced than others.

In modern day, Chrisianity has it's ways of explaining that too. The story of Adam and Eve try to explain where we came from and why there is "evil" in the world.

The second reason is to, like everybody has been saying, to keep order among a culture. Like Ender said, it sets up a class system. Maybe not as much as today does religion set up the class system, but that's how I believe it was.

Now, I have studied some religions and some ideas I agree with. So it seems to me that some insightful people had some good ideas and decided to expand and try to explain things with gods and myths.

Back