What is it about staring at a computer screen that makes you hyperactive?

umm...actually when I stare that long at a computer screen I literally fall asleep, unless it is a very interesting and enjoyable movie.

How do you know you have elevated adrenaline levels after 90 minutes of computer usage?

Fast heart rate and general hyperactivity....I assume this was adrenaline...

This is an approximate limit. Before that I can get sleepy, but after an period of around an hour and a half it's like my body gets the message that it needs to be alert.

There are lots of studies about how TV and computers activate the mind before bed, although there are speculative neurological reasons, it does indicate those media have the affect you're describing.

"Effects of TV and VDT's on Human Genetic Structure"

Dr R: Will you explain how movies, TV, TV screens, computer VDTs and , I suppose, all VDTs in scientific equipment affect the brain, and I understand, the chromosomes, DNA and genes as well?

Mrs. Dr. L: That is a tremendous question! The effect on DNA, chromosomes and genes has been discussed in the open scientific literature, but it is quite controversial. I believe Dr. D has most of the papers and references in our technical files, so you can secure copies of those. I will summarise this way. It seems that the EMF from the VDT does interact and interfere with brain functions by entrainment of the 60 Hz AC of commercial electricity. In other words, the synergy between the Reticular Formation and the Thalamus is responsible for the Alpha spikes that indicate that during a normal day, the brain takes a "dip" into Alpha 30 times per minute while you are awake
http://www.rialian.com/rnboyd/magnetic-brain-activity.htm

http://www.feb.se/FEB/feb_info.html

When you watch TV, brain activity switches from the left to the right hemisphere. In fact, experiments conducted by researcher Herbert Krugman showed that while viewers are watching television, the right hemisphere is twice as active as the left, a neurological anomaly.1 The crossover from left to right releases a surge of the body’s natural opiates: endorphins, which include beta-endorphins and enkephalins. Endorphins are structurally identical to opium and its derivatives (morphine, codeine, heroin, etc.). Activities that release endorphins (also called opioid peptides) are usually habit-forming (we rarely call them addictive). These include cracking knuckles, strenuous exercise, and orgasm. External opiates act on the same receptor sites (opioid receptors) as endorphins, so there is little difference between the two.
http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/5jcl/5JCL59.htm

That's the best answer I could come up with based on the information out there.

What is it about staring at a computer screen that makes you hyperactive?

You have the sum of human knowledge at your fingertips. Remember the original Enterprise's computer? Your desktop has a billion times more information in it than that "yes-that-is-correct" computer.

A toy is just a toy- it does a few things. A computer can do an infinite number of things.

Back