What is humans and wolves closest evolutionary common ancestor?

skaught

The field its covered in blood
Valued Senior Member
I was thinking about the relationship that humans have with dogs today, and I wondered, what is our common ancestor? How far back must one go to find this ancestor?

It's the shrew-like insectivores that survied the K-T meteor impact. Also called 'boreoeutherian ancestor', they are the ancestors of all true mammals.

oops. forgot to post the image...

evolution.jpg

I said true mammals ;)
Same question as Skaught's...

For example, Wiki places Afrotheria under the class "Mammalia" - why aren't they "mammals"? I'm not disputing, just inquiring... :shrug:

.... Ummm.... whats a true mammal???

forgive my ignorance...

Same question as Skaught's...

For example, Wiki places Afrotheria under the class "Mammalia" - why aren't they "mammals"? I'm not disputing, just inquiring... :shrug:

Whoops. It seems I made a mistake there. I think I meant to say 'modern mammals' but I'm confused now :eek:

Eh. Afrotheria's just a catch-all for "we have no idea what these things are meant to be". Or so my Mammalogy prof told me. I was disappointed in that course; at no time did we see any actual mammaries. Unless they were under a sweater. I attempted to investigate further, but got slapped. A lot of anti-science people out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh. Afrotheria's just a catch-all for "we have no idea what these things are meant to be". Or so my Mammalogy prof told me. I was disappointed in that course; at no time did we see any actual mammaries. Unless they were under a sweater. I attempted to investigate further, but got slapped. A lot of anti-science people out there.

LOL, I am with you Geoffp. :)

Eh. Afrotheria's just a catch-all for "we have no idea what the fuck these things are meant to be".
Ahhh...

Well, I have alerted all the Elephants (one of the surviving members of Afrotheria) that Geoff has "no idea what [you] things are supposed to be" - they were slightly offended, but replied "That's OK, we have idea what a Geoff is supposed to be".

I also notified [un]common_sense_seeker regarding same as relates to Hyraxes.

I'll try to get around to updating Wiki later...

:cool: :D :m:

"Afrotheria was originally proposed in 1998[1] based on analyses of DNA sequence data."
"While this recognition does not mean that the Linnean system must be completely replaced"
"Afrotheria is a clade of mammals, the living members of which include golden moles, sengis (also known as elephant shrews), tenrecs, aardvarks, hyraxes, elephants and sea cows."

220px-Rhynchocyon_petersi_from_side.jpg
250px-Elephant_near_ndutu.jpg
oohhh.....ohhh....They had common ancestor? :D

Me also.

Common ancestor? That's just what they want you to think. I'd assumed there was some kind of DNA evidence to prove me wrong.

Apparently dogs are relative new comers on the evolutionary tree...only 15k years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog

There is conclusive evidence that dogs genetically diverged from their wolf ancestors at least 15,000 years ago,[22][23][24] but some believe domestication to have occurred earlier.[4]

Back