What is an organism?

ronan

Only Consciousness Exists
Registered Senior Member
One problem of biology is that it is based on the idea of organism, but what is an organism and more specifically:

How can it emerge distinctly from a background (knowing that ultimately everything is field, or quantum states according to physics?)

An organism (single) is an individual representative of what we call a species. A species is something with a common genome, but individuals with the genome each have slightly varied genotypes, and so phenotypes.

The word "organism", can mean a species, or a single individual lifeform. It's what you get when a genotype/genome is expressed.

So far, there hasn't been any "quantum connection" found - organisms use chemical energy and are governed by ordinary old thermodynamics.

An orgasm is a requirement for the existence of certain organisms, mammals for instance, like us.

It expediates the necessary juxtaposition of gametes, and their fusion into a zygotic representation, which is a new organism that will be "orgasm capable" when it has developed.

Um - someone should shut me up.

Dec. 3 , 1967 Christaan Barnard conducted the first human heart transplant. After practicing on species, his conduction of the first plans let the patient live ~60 additional days. The Second one was lasting of more than over 100 days. Either of the two failed because the result of medicinal mixology. Today , maybe be used only in emergency, the jarvis artif. pump is known to exist.

To be able to understand what AN organism is I think that we have to look at it from a new perspective.

I belive that everything is binary and made up of curcumstances and potentials.

This is from another post of mine... so I do not have to write it all again.

There is no time.
(to those of you who have not read this before, SciForums.com : Subcultures : Pseudoscience : Does Time Move At All? )

“ Originally Posted by YinyangDK
I belive that time is not a factor.
Time is precived backwards.
Time is the past.

You can not change the past and there for you can not change time.

Everything happens in the precent, RIGHT NOW.
You can not change what you did 1 sek. ago or yesterday.

Our minds can remember and learn from the past.
And that is what we call time.

We know from past expirence that it takes an average acorn , time , to grow into a tree.
What it depence on is : (a)potential and
(b)circumstances.

If a+b=1 Then
a+(b/1000)=0,001

Everything is binary, either something happens or it don´t.
1 it happens, 0 it don´t.

What it depence on is; what potentials does it have and are the circumstances fulfilled. If this is so then 1.
If not fulfilled then 0.

We can speed up "time" by changing the circumstances.
If an acorn have optimale circumstances it will grow quicker, because it is easier to achive the potential. ”

We are potential, if the curcumstances for life are present then we live.

a+b=life.

From the time where the eeg and the sperm cell unite, a new universe is created.
If the curcumstances are forfilled the potential will be reached for life (1)
This potential life evolves whenever the curcumstances are forfilled.

As I said in "Does Time Move At All?":
We can speed up "time" by changing the circumstances.
If an acorn have optimale circumstances it will grow quicker, because it is easier to achive the potential.

Because time is an illuision, everything that is happening is happening before the past. (RIGHT NOW)

Each of us are a universe in our self, we started out the same way our own universe started out.
We are a universe that have evolved to a point where it is so complex that it has the potential and the curcumstances for aweraness is a 1.
And we keep on evolving.

that is it for now.....
But I could go no and no forever explaining the patten, or I could just refer to any fractal picture.

what an organism is is something that have had the potentials and curcumstances to evolve into what we see as an organism.
Gen´s are the record for what potentials have been reached.

Is a beehive or ant colony and organism?
Is a human being an organism of a vast collection of co-dependent organisms?

Where do you draw the line?

:D

Answer to the first part...

:shake:
Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh AH AH AH OH OH OOOH OOOHHHH OHHHH OH AH AH!!!!
...:sleep:

for example finding something from a Konteniedy Incision :
Speciman_Craniotomy_Full_Scan_Ia.jpg

Speciman_Craniotomy_Full_Scan_Ib.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone try the dictionary yet?
The dictionary definitions of "organism" all revolve around the word "life." A typical statement is "a form of life composed of mutually interdependent parts that maintain various vital processes, considered as an entity," and the definition may even attempt to list all known categories: animal, plant, fungus, protistan, and moneran.

So you can't define an organism without defining life, which invariably includes:
  • growth,
  • metabolism,
  • reproduction, AND
  • adaptation to environmental conditions or other external stimuli through changes that originate internally.

I was being sarcastic there though.. ;)

How about this:
Organisms are living things that are capable of reacting to stimuli, reproduction, growth, and homeostasis and consist of monomeric units called cells.
Some organisms may function independently or singly (unicellular) whereas others may form many units (multicellular) divided into specialized tissues and organs.
Based on cell type, organisms may be divided into prokaryotes and eukaryotes.

Whereas 'life' is a general concept, 'organism' denotes units of life.
So naturally the definitions are going to be similar.

How about this: Organisms are living things that. . . . consist of monomeric units called cells. Some organisms may function independently or singly (unicellular) whereas others may form many units (multicellular) divided into specialized tissues and organs. Based on cell type, organisms may be divided into prokaryotes and eukaryotes.
This definition only covers the organisms we know. That probably includes all the current life on earth. But the first extraterrestrial life form we discover (and are astute enough to recognize as alive) may not satisfy this definition.

Are we going to say that only the kinds of life forms that we have on earth--plus any extraterrestrials that by chance happen to resemble them--are organisms?

At this point I'd probably want to seek out a consensus of biologists!

This definition only covers the organisms we know. That probably includes all the current life on earth. But the first extraterrestrial life form we discover (and are astute enough to recognize as alive) may not satisfy this definition.

Are we going to say that only the kinds of life forms that we have on earth--plus any extraterrestrials that by chance happen to resemble them--are organisms?

At this point I'd probably want to seek out a consensus of biologists!

Biologists are going to agree with my definition I might hope, since we do not have a shred of evidence for extraterrestrial life, let alone their biology and structure.
All we can do at this point is define life as we know it (earth life), the rest is pure speculation.

Last edited:
Back