What have the Muslims ever done for us?

The Flemster

Unstoppable sex machine
Registered Senior Member
Apart from the unsanitary, ill-educated, murdering, fanatical, neurotic, mysoginistic, hairy, socially-retarded, dogmatic spokesmen for the craziest religion available.

I would be deeply interested to hear from one of you loonies as you try to explain such things as dinosaurs, the Big Bang Theory, the known universe, ancient history, molecular science and many, many other things that us normal people can read about and understand.

And as for you, Proud Muslim, isn't pride a sin?

Don't expect we'll hear from you on here...!

The Flemster.

Well, with such an even-handed post, I don't see... what... could... possibly... go... wrong...

James, care to kill this one before it decides to breed?

Josh

Nah, I think we should let this slide and see what PM can "educate" us on.. :D

Lol.. "socialy retarded", haha, my favorite, "hairy", and let's NOT forget "unsanitary" and "ill-educated".

LMAO.. this should put PM in a bit of spot, eh?

Yeah, God knows we need another Islam/Anti-Islam thread o' pointless hyperbole.

Josh

What, aside from the alphabet we're using to have this rediculous discussion? Oh, and not having to use roman numerals.

I should probably add that Flemster, it looks like you haven't taken a peek at some of those sects that have sites on the net. I think a variant on Judeo-Christianity has got to be less crazy than something built on the premise of lizard people from foreign galaxies.

Munchmausen said:
I should probably add that Flemster, it looks like you haven't taken a peek at some of those sects that have sites on the net. I think a variant on Judeo-Christianity has got to be less crazy than something built on the premise of lizard people from foreign galaxies.

You're absolutely right-- I haven't looked at any of these sites. Do you have a link for me?
I'll try to take a peek at them but I don't get much time online.

The Flemster.
:bugeye:

What have muslims done for us? The only thing theyve done (unwittingly) is add spice to our lives. All those scandals, chaos, & conflicts are making headlines and attracting the people's attention.

Yeah I know its all bad. Im just trying to make positive of a very bad situation. :(

tiassa said:
Algebra and astronomy come to mind.

Those things predate the Muslims, my dear tiassa. They are the heritage of the non-muslim arab people.

Yes, but those heritages basically died out in Europe with the fall of Rome and were picked up and greatly expanded upon by the Muslim world.

Oh, Flem, I don't have any of those links handy, but do any Yahoo search for religious groups and they'll pop right up.

Algebra and astronomy come to mind.

1) could you be more specific about the particular discoveries?
2) astronomy is not really important
3) in algebra, as far as i know, all they did was changed the way to write numbers. and inventing "zero", some sources say the ancient Inka people invented it. even if arabs did invent the zero, so what? really big discovery!

the topic should be renamed to "what have the arab[ian]s have done for us"

Munchmausen said:
Yes, but those heritages basically died out in Europe with the fall of Rome and were picked up and greatly expanded upon by the Muslim world.

Oh, Flem, I don't have any of those links handy, but do any Yahoo search for religious groups and they'll pop right up.

Yup the best contributions theyve given is preserve older technologies. But they have also made a lot of damage when they burned down the Great Library in Egypt. All those ancient knowledge and manuscripts destroyed forever.

The muslims were also crucial in uniting the feuding christians against them.

Munchmausen said:

You have heard of the Byzantine empire right? The Perians? Egyptians? The heritage may have been disrupted in the west with the fall of rome but it never vanished or stopped developing, even after islam.

Dr. No said:
Those things predate the Muslims, my dear tiassa. They are the heritage of the non-muslim arab people.
Otheadp said:
1) could you be more specific about the particular discoveries?
2) astronomy is not really important
3) in algebra, as far as i know, all they did was changed the way to write numbers. and inventing "zero", some sources say the ancient Inka people invented it. even if arabs did invent the zero, so what? really big discovery!
Y'all are just screwin' 'round 'cuz you're bored, right?

(1) American Heritage Dictionary: "algebra" - see http://www.bartleby.com/61/52/A0195200.html
(2) Al'Khwarizmi & Al Jabr - see http://members.aol.com/bbyars1/algebra.html
(3) Algebra - see http://excalc.vestris.com/docs/math-algebra.html
(4) Al-Khwarizimi - see http://www.ms.uky.edu/~carl/ma330/project2/al-khwa21.html
(5) Computer History - see http://www.arcula.demon.co.uk/hist1.htm

From the above links:
Etymology: Middle English, bone-setting, and Italian, algebra, both from Medieval Latin, from Arabic al-jabr (wa-l-muqbala), the restoration (and the compensation), addition (and subtraction) : al-, the + jabr, bone-setting, restoration (from jabara, to set (bones), force, restore; see gpr in Appendix II). (1)

al’Khwarizmi, whose full name is Abu Abd-Allah ibn Musa al’Khwarizmi, was born about AD 790 near Baghdad, and died about 850. His most important contribution, written in 830, was Hisab al-jabr w’al-muqabala. From the al-jabr in the title we get algebra. The treatise develops a system for the solutions of quadratic expressions including geometric principles for completing the square.

Many say that the Babylonians first developed systems of quadratic equations. This calls for over simplification, because the Babylonians had no concept of an equation. Also, all solutions to Babylonian problems were positive because they were solutions to problems involving lengths.
(2)

Algebra was originally the name given to the study of equations. In the 9th century, the Arab mathematician Muhammad ibn-Musa al-Khwarizmi used the term al-jabr for the process of adding equal quantities to both sides of an equation. When his treatise was later translated into Latin, al-jabr became algebra and the word was adopted as the name for the whole subject.

The basics of algebra were familiar in ancient Babylonia (c. 18th century BC). Numerous tablets giving sets of problems and their answers, evidently classroom exercises, survive from that period. The subject was also considered by mathematicians in ancient Egypt, China, and India. A comprehensive treatise on the subject, entitled Arithmetica, was written in the 3rd century AD by Diophantus of Alexandria. In the 9th century, al-Khwarizmi drew on Diophantus' work and on Hindu sources to produce his influential work Hisab al-jabr wa'l-muqabalah (Calculation by Restoration and Reduction).
(3)

Diophantus is sometimes called "the father of Algebra," but this title more appropriately belongs to al-Khwarizmi. Al-Khwarizmi's work is on a more elementary and rhetorical level than that of Diophantus. Also, Arab scholars did not make any use of syncopation or of negative numbers. Al-jabr comes closer to elementary algebra of today than the works of either Diophantus or Brahmagupta, because the book is not concerned with difficult problems in indeterminant analysis but with a straight forward and elementary exposition of the solution of equations, especially that of second degree (Boyer, 228). (4)

At the end of the classical period, Europe entered a mathematical and scientific dark age, lasting hundreds of years. During this time, science and mathematics were kept alive by Arab scholars, who assimilated the Greek and Hindu traditions. Baghdad was a major cultural centre and it was there that Mohammed ibn Musa al-Khowarizmi wrote a book about the Hindu numbers and gave instructions on how to use them. He also wrote ilm al-jabr w'al muquabalah or "the science of reduction and cancellation". We get our word algebra from the al-jabr in the title; we also get the word algorithm from the Latinised version of al-Khowarizmi (Algorismi or Alkarismi - spellings vary). The knowledge accumulated in the schools of Baghdad seeped slowly into Europe, brought by people such as Adelhard of Bath (who translated Euclid's Elements and some of al-Khowarizmi's tables) and Leonardo of Pisa. Leonardo was the son of Bonacci, a merchant and so is also known as Filius Bonacci or Fibonacci. Fibonacci is famous for his book Liber Abaci, 'The book of the Abacus' and for the Fibonnaci number sequence. (5)
As to astronomy, the article I'm searching for is available on the web, but at a price. I need to look around for my paper copy of the article to see what portions are worth lifting. Of course, maybe I'll just subscribe to the magazine. (It's American Scientist, in case anyone has a subscription and wants to read the article ... just click the link; I know my old print copy is around here, somewhere.) In the meantime, I ran across another article by the author, a book review that becomes part of an interesting spat between academics, here. It's actually a good response to this topic in and of itself.

(6) Islamic and Arab Astronomers - see http://physics.unr.edu/grad/welser/astro/arab.html
(7) Arabic mathematics - forgotten brilliance? - see http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Arabic_mathematics.html
In the late 10th century, a huge observatory was built near Tehran, Iran by the astronomer al-Khujandi. He built a large sextant inside the observatory, and was the first astronomer to be capable of measuring to an accuracy of arcseconds. He observed a series of meridian transits of the Sun, which allowed him to calculate the obliquity of the ecliptic, also known as the tilt of the Earth's axis relative to the Sun. As we know today, the Earth's tilt is approximately 23°34', and al-Khujandi measured it as being 23°32'19". Using this information, he also compiled a list of latitudes and longitudes of major cities. (6)

Although the Arabic mathematicians are most famed for their work on algebra, number theory and number systems, they also made considerable contributions to geometry, trigonometry and mathematical astronomy. (7)
As to certain underestimations of certain innovations ... I guess they're right. Being able to navigate the oceans isn't important is it? To any one human or to humanity in general?

Nah ... didn't think so.

:cool:

Okay, so apart from all the above, what have the Muslims REALLY done for us?

Proud Flemster.

Here's an authoritative source:

• http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/newton/askasci/1995/math/MATH010.HTM

Response #: 1 of 1
    Author: chaffer
    No one person appears to have invented algebra in all its complexity and
    glory. Instead, it appears to have sort of "grown up." Western Europeans
    learned their algebra from the works of the Arab mathematician Muhammed ibn
    Musa al-Khowarizmi. The word, algebra, is a corruption of al-jabr which is
    part of the title of his treatise, Hisab al-jabr w'al muqabalah which means
    something like, "the science of reunion and reduction." It is pretty clear
    that the Arabs got some of these ideas from earlier work of the Babylonians,
    Egyptians, Chinese, Hindus, and who knows else.
And even tiassa's research stated the following:

• The basics of algebra were familiar in ancient Babylonia (c. 18th century BC). Numerous tablets giving sets of problems and their answers, evidently classroom exercises, survive from that period. The subject was also considered by mathematicians in ancient Egypt, China, and India. A comprehensive treatise on the subject, entitled Arithmetica, was written in the 3rd century AD by Diophantus of Alexandria. In the 9th century, al-Khwarizmi drew on Diophantus' work and on Hindu sources to produce his influential work Hisab al-jabr wa'l-muqabalah (Calculation by Restoration and Reduction). (3)

So the science really predated Islam. Later scholars only developed what was already existing at their time. If muslims did not destroy the Persians & their culture, the Great Library in Egypt, then the technology would have developed there instead.

My question is

WHAT GREAT CONTRIBUTIONS HAVE MUSLIMS GIVEN LATELY (in the past 300 yrs)?

In terms of:

* Science
* Art
* Ethics
* Literature
* Society

Back