what does kosher entirely mean?

EmptyForceOfChi

Banned
Banned
i thought i knew the answer before, i thought it was simular to halal for islamics, like the meat was killed in a certain way and blessed etc,

but then i saw all types of kosher goods for sale in golders green london (a big jewish area) like kosher fruit juice, kosher chocolate, kosher wine, kosher this kosher that.

so what does kosher mean? because i find it hard to believe that you can bless every single tiny berry that makes it into the fruit juice, or do you just shove millions of berries into one huge pot and some guy comes and blesses the whole lot in one go?

like some mass kosher blessing. bulk blessing :)

peace.

i thought i knew the answer before, i thought it was simular to halal for islamics, like the meat was killed in a certain way and blessed etc,

but then i saw all types of kosher goods for sale in golders green london (a big jewish area) like kosher fruit juice, kosher chocolate, kosher wine, kosher this kosher that.

so what does kosher mean? because i find it hard to believe that you can bless every single tiny berry that makes it into the fruit juice, or do you just shove millions of berries into one huge pot and some guy comes and blesses the whole lot in one go?

like some mass kosher blessing. bulk blessing :)

peace.

kosher=halaal=follows the dietary laws, i.e. contains no forbidden foods, i.e fit for consumption.

the only thing forbidden in islam is swine meat.

thats the only reason i wont convert to muslim, no char siu bao!

seriously allah needs to try some char siu bao.

Its not just the food, but also the way it is prepared and the combinations of foods.
All fresh fruits and vegetables are kosher in principle. Jewish law requires that they be carefully checked and cleaned to make sure that there are no insects on them, as insects are not kosher (except certain Orthoptera, see above). In the last century emphasis on this aspect has increased, especially in the Haredi Jewish community. Many Haredim avoid certain vegetables, such as broccoli, because they may be infested and exceedingly hard to clean. Responding to this issue, some companies now sell thoroughly washed and inspected produce for those who do not wish to do it themselves, even going to the trouble of filtering the wash water to ensure that it carries no microscopic creatures (see discussion of such animals in tap water, above).

There are actually some restrictions on consumption of produce. The fruit of a tree for the first three years cannot be consumed (the law of orlah). For crops grown in the Holy Land, tithes must be taken and allocated according to the precepts of the Bible, otherwise the entire crop is not considered Kosher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_foods

Some Jewish dude blesses it.

Also you need separate sets of plates so as to separate meat and dairy products.

It has absolutely nothing to do with a Rabbi blessing the food. That is a big misconception. The rabbi just goes to ensure the correct ingredients are used and all the machinery is sterilized. Have a look at the following website which explains what kosher is. badatz.org

I use cling film that is Kosher, so there you go. Kosher is also a synonym for anything that is genuine or 'the real article', hence my feeling that the essence of the word means something that is incorrupted.

Being legally permissible is to do with appropriateness, not genuineness or incorruptibility. So when you use kosher as an idiom, you are talking about standard practice, or fitness or acceptability

kosher

1. (of food) Prepared in accordance with Jewish religious practices.

Well, if I had known it was a kosher deli, I certainly would not have ordered a ham and cheese on rye.

2. (figuratively, by extension) In accordance with standards or usual practice.

"Is what I have done kosher with Mr. Smith?"

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kosher

When they call wine or orange juice kosher, it's just a marketing trick. Those products were already kosher in the way they're made. It's just the addition of a term that serves to attract jewish customers.

When they call wine or orange juice kosher, it's just a marketing trick. Those products were already kosher in the way they're made. It's just the addition of a term that serves to attract jewish customers.

Sugar is made by passing through a matrix of crushed animal bones for optimal filtration. I think (not sure, though) that addition of sugar prepared in this way to the above products is not kosher.

tablariddim said:
Sapiosexual doesn't sound kosher, to me.

Ignorance is not a point of view. :bugeye:

edit:

However, because of wine's special role in many non-Jewish religions, the kashrut laws specify that wine cannot be considered kosher if it might have been used for "idolatry".

Some of these concepts include:

* Yayin Nesekh (Wine that has been poured to an idol.)
* Stam Yainom (Wine that has been touched by someone who believes in idolatry or produced by non-Jews.)
* When kosher wine is yayin mevushal ("cooked" or "boiled"), it thereby becomes unfit for idolatrous use and will keep the status of kosher wine even if subsequently touched by an idolator. See section below for more details.
* Intermingling - There are prohibitions on several foods, including wine, in order to prevent intermingling amongst non-Jews in order to reduce the chances of intermarriage.

In recent times, there has been an increased demand for kosher wines and a number of wine producing countries now produce a wide variety of sophisticated kosher wines under strict rabbinical supervision, particularly in Israel, the United States, France, Italy, South Africa, and Australia. Two of the world's largest producers and importers of kosher wines, Kedem and Manischewitz, are both based in the Northeastern United States.

Not what I thought apparently

Back