What do you do with 85 million dollars?

lightgigantic

Banned
Banned
article here

FORMER Philippine president Joseph Estrada has been sentenced to life imprisonment after being found guilty of taking more than $US85 million in bribes and kickbacks, in a trial that spanned six years.

In the history of corruption I guess we could find bigger fish, but the question is why is it the nature of greed to be unlimited?

article here

FORMER Philippine president Joseph Estrada has been sentenced to life imprisonment after being found guilty of taking more than $US85 million in bribes and kickbacks, in a trial that spanned six years.

In the history of corruption I guess we could find bigger fish, but the question is why is it the nature of greed to be unlimited?

Because greed has no bounds. The more they have, the more they want. It's a very, very common thing with humans,

Do ya'll think greed is instinctual, pre-programmed behavior..like fear, or do you think it's a learned behavior?

Do ya'll think greed is instinctual, pre-programmed behavior..like fear, or do you think it's a learned behavior?
It's a combination of two instincts, one positive and one negative. The Mesolithic hunter-gatherer that's still down there inside of us has an instinct to hoard supplies for the inevitable famine or other disaster. That's good because it's a survival trait. Not to mention it was the motivation for settling down into agricultural villages and eventually into cities: Division of labor and economies of scale create surplus wealth, which can be used to produce surplus food, clothing, pottery, arrowheads, roofing material, etc.

But the tribal Mesolithic human also had an instinct to be hostile toward other tribes. In a hunter-gatherer ecosystem there's rarely enough of anything to share with strangers, so strangers were regarded instinctively as competitors for scarce resources. Village life and eventually city life required humans to override and mofify that instinct, and treat strangers as pack-mates, living in harmony and cooperation with them.

Sometimes people backslide and lose their ten thousand year overlay of civilization, temporarily or permanently. They slip back into the Stone Age and treat strangers the way a Mesolithic tribal human would, not caring about their welfare and regarding their resources as a tempting source of easy surplus. This is what most crime is in essence: a local breakdown of civilization, an individual throwback to the Stone Age.

It's easier to do anonymously as it was done in this example. You don't have to look your victims in the eye and deal with the cognitive dissonance of stealing from the same people you've been taught to treat as pack-mates and care about. You just steal a little bit from each one so you're not really pushing any one of them over the edge of starvation. Many white-collar criminals don't have oppressive problems with their conscience because they rationalize the fact that they haven't had a measurable impact on any individual pack-mate's life. They think they're just being clever, out-competing the other guys, "beating the system," and being rewarded for that cleverness without hurting anyone. Maybe if you take five dollars from everybody they will buy one less beer and there will be fewer drunk-driving accidents. This stuff is so easy to rationalize!

This is what's wrong with governments, even in the best cases. They've gotten so big and so far removed from their constituents that it's difficult for the people who comprise them to remember that those are their pack-mates and they're not supposed to steal from them.

There's a very fine line between taxation and theft, and every one of today's gigantic unwieldy governments crosses that line every second of every day. Estrada just found a way to funnel a big bunch of the money into his pocket, instead of using it to pay fourteen layers of civil "servants" to "administer" each other all day. From my point of view most of that money is going down the toilet no matter which government official, employee, contractor--or group thereof--actually takes it home.

It's a combination of two instincts, one positive and one negative. The Mesolithic hunter-gatherer that's still down there inside of us has an instinct to hoard supplies for the inevitable famine or other disaster. That's good because it's a survival trait. Not to mention it was the motivation for settling down into agricultural villages and eventually into cities: Division of labor and economies of scale create surplus wealth, which can be used to produce surplus food, clothing, pottery, arrowheads, roofing material, etc.

But the tribal Mesolithic human also had an instinct to be hostile toward other tribes. In a hunter-gatherer ecosystem there's rarely enough of anything to share with strangers, so strangers were regarded instinctively as competitors for scarce resources. Village life and eventually city life required humans to override and mofify that instinct, and treat strangers as pack-mates, living in harmony and cooperation with them.

Sometimes people backslide and lose their ten thousand year overlay of civilization, temporarily or permanently. They slip back into the Stone Age and treat strangers the way a Mesolithic tribal human would, not caring about their welfare and regarding their resources as a tempting source of easy surplus. This is what most crime is in essence: a local breakdown of civilization, an individual throwback to the Stone Age.

It's easier to do anonymously as it was done in this example. You don't have to look your victims in the eye and deal with the cognitive dissonance of stealing from the same people you've been taught to treat as pack-mates and care about. You just steal a little bit from each one so you're not really pushing any one of them over the edge of starvation. Many white-collar criminals don't have oppressive problems with their conscience because they rationalize the fact that they haven't had a measurable impact on any individual pack-mate's life. They think they're just being clever, out-competing the other guys, "beating the system," and being rewarded for that cleverness without hurting anyone. Maybe if you take five dollars from everybody they will buy one less beer and there will be fewer drunk-driving accidents. This stuff is so easy to rationalize!

This is what's wrong with governments, even in the best cases. They've gotten so big and so far removed from their constituents that it's difficult for the people who comprise them to remember that those are their pack-mates and they're not supposed to steal from them.

There's a very fine line between taxation and theft, and every one of today's gigantic unwieldy governments crosses that line every second of every day. Estrada just found a way to funnel a big bunch of the money into his pocket, instead of using it to pay fourteen layers of civil "servants" to "administer" each other all day. From my point of view most of that money is going down the toilet no matter which government official, employee, contractor--or group thereof--actually takes it home.

the nature of greed is that it doesn't actually serve any practical application - in other words even if you want to argue that it is some sort of mechanism due to experiences of scarcity, the extent that greed can control a person goes way beyond bodily needs of luxury, what to speak of maintenance - if you can only eat 2 pieces of toast for breakfast, what impels one to horde the equivalent of an inner city bakery delivery route?

85 million dollars? hmm, I would start a trust for scholarships for students.

I would hand out 100 follars bills to homeless people. I would slap it in their hands like i was shaking their hand then walk away and look over my shoulder to see their reaction. That would be the best feeling in the world. And i would only keep maybe a million for myself.

Edit: on the other hand and now that i am thinking about it some more i may find a different way to give it away. But damn like i would ever get hold of 85 milliion.

Because greed has no bounds. The more they have, the more they want. It's a very, very common thing with humans,

i know a woman who used to say "even millionares want more money" they are never happy with what they've got.

personally with 85million i would live of the interest and then have it saying n my will that my three kids get to share it between them. but 85million is to much for anyone to comprehend spending.

Not really, people who hit the lottery with somwhere around that amount have ended up broke. houses, cars, and alot of hard living.

what after winning 85million? my god :eek: that is unbeliveable, my god i would be set for life and so would my kids.
just the interest after a year alone would be enough to make sure your ok if you spend wisely

I'd never work again. I guess I'd give most of it away, whatever would you need 85 mil for ?

Nice post Fraggle.

I personally would go to the $.99 store and buy 85 million pairs of fuzzy dice. :)

i would travel to all the places i want to go, first stop Alaska!! then i would buy the biggest shit bomb and plant it on my mums lawn

If you want to accept that greed can not be fulfilled by anything in this world, then you have a world view that we are possessed of desires (of which greed is one) that have no capacity for fulfillment.

The only sane response to such a world view is to develop a sense of detachment.

In otherwords one who accepts this, has a world view that the fundamental substance of our nature is detachment.

How does that sit with everyone?
(personally i find the notion of such a world view ludicrous, which would lead to issues with the original premise)

Back